User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
Litemup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Ducati or KTM

I'm still trying to decide between these two both are new with full warranty. Since there isn't a general bike forum I guess I will post in KTM and Ducati threads, I know there will be some bias. I am getting GREAT deals on either one although the 1200 MTS is a couple grand more in total.
I really don't think I will be doing much off road if any it would be dirt or gravel roads. Just would like opinions of some that maybe have owned either or both.

2013 Ducati MTS S Touring
2014 KTM 1190 ADV

Litemup screwed with this post 02-21-2015 at 01:00 PM
Litemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
All motorcycles have their high points and low points, money spend vs excitement, money spend for basic transportation ect. I'd say in my opinion, both are relatively equal, excitement factor high, basic transport quality low. If you ride Sunday, go to work during the week and drive all week in a Toyota, ride 2000 miles a year, either one is great. However, if you actually ride any distance, look elsewhere.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:07 AM   #3
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
All motorcycles have their high points and low points, money spend vs excitement, money spend for basic transportation ect. I'd say in my opinion, both are relatively equal, excitement factor high, basic transport quality low. If you ride Sunday, go to work during the week and drive all week in a Toyota, ride 2000 miles a year, either one is great. However, if you actually ride any distance, look elsewhere.
Ya, no. Either can be easily ridden for day rides or long distances.

I love my Multi. Go ride them both and see which one you speaks to you.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Sometimes people just need to change out a windscreen or seat to get long distance comfort on these bikes based on individual preferences. To me the highest rated touring bikes are simply too warm in hot weather because they block too much of the breeze.

I have ridden both quite a bit.
The KTM is clearly my preference for off pavement. The 19" front wheel, traction control setting, and suspension all work great together off-road.
The Multi to me is more comfortable due to vibes from 90 degree engine instead of KTM's buzz (felt in handlebars mostly), and also knees closer together due to narrower tank. KTM had longer reach to bars which really pulls you up close to a wider tank.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
Litemup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The possible heat issue on the KTM concerns me a bit as its hot enough in the summer months riding in full gear.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
my 2010 multi has been brilliant for over 40,000 miles. If you plan on doing mostly road riding with a few gravel roads thrown in, then the multi is the bike. If you want a 50/50 bike I'd go with the KTM. The multi does dry dirt ok with the right tires, but its expensive to drop.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #7
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,716
I've had Ducatis since 1979, and really like them. But. I'm not blind to other manufacturers efforts. I haven't ridden a Multi-12 either.
But , I took a demo ride on a KTM 1190 and when we got back to the truck they had an evaluation form for us. I looked down the list ,power, handling , brakes ,etc. and asked if it was O.K. to make stripe through all the 10s because the 1190 was probably the best bike I'd ever ridden.
Of course , a demo ride is not the same as ownership.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:09 AM   #8
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,312
I like em both.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:08 AM   #9
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,766
The engine in the multi is amazing (have not sampled the '15 DVT unit). The suspenders and brakes are fantastic as well.

The KTM 990 I had kicked every other liter bike's ass off road. It was amazing in that regard. The 1190 (and now 1290) are just more better. Pick the 21" wheel versions if going off road much, 19" if you are more road based. KTMs with 21" wheels are like rolling off-road tanks. They go anywhere.

I would pick the bike you like based on what you use it for. Going off road or don't want to to flog an expensive to crash Ducati? Get the KTM. Mainly on-road and looking for a pretty bike that is light and fast? Get the Ducati.

The KTM service is easier to do yourself, might cost slightly less at a dealer. The DVT is new this year, so there is the added ??? of service with that (for me, anyway).

I don't think you would be unhappy with ether pick.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #10
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
I tour my Multi, no problem. Three years later I still giggle at the end of the day. It's delicious to ride. I've no major expenses apart from the silly stuff I buy for it. If you're looking for something that thrills on the road and still has a good dose of practicality in respect to comfort, the Ducati is hard to beat but owners say the same for the KTM.

As usual, a decision that has to be made on the basis of personal preference. If everything else was equal, I'd consider buying the bike from the dealership/franchise I thought would give me the best support.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Recently went down this very path

I recently went through the same decisions. There is lots of good and bad info out there on bikes. I would say one of the previous posters stating that these are not everyday rides may be a bit off. Then again you can look at his avatar. If you want to wield an 1000 pounder around in a parking lot then there is definitely much more plush options out there.

I rode the 14' 1190 and the Multistrada. The Multi is in the garage. The dealers here for both are great. So no problem there , what steered me away from the KTM (and I own a KTM 530 EXC) was the issue with the heat from the seat and the airbox issues. The KTM 1190 is awesome. The heat issue actually gave me a bit of a sunburn on my rear. Also there have been many people crater motors due to the lack of sealing on the airbox. So I added up the list of things needed for the KTM: Airbox replacement, underseat heat mitigation, luggage, heated grips, LED Tail Light and Blinkers, exhaust and re-flash. The Multistrada got a new LED Tail light and Rizoma Blinkers. The price difference between the two "out the door" was around $3500. That is a lot of gas. The other thing was the Multi fit me better and felt better on the road where I will be riding it.

I have the KTM 530 EXC that is plated for enduro stuff and it weighs a whole lot less if I drop it.
2013 Ducati Multistrada, 08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:11 AM   #12
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
I recently went through the same decisions. There is lots of good and bad info out there on bikes. I would say one of the previous posters stating that these are not everyday rides may be a bit off.
Not even on the paper, a wide miss!

These surely aren't in the same league as an RT, but they are easily capable of very satisfying 500 mile days, all that I could ask for. My longest single day ride on my Muti is 790 miles. I was dog tired and happy to get off the bike that night, but I would have been just as whipped had rode my GS that distance. Sensible plans for days between 300 and 500 miles with stops for lunch, gas and coffee are easy and comfortable to do. The Multi's (10-14) single biggest weakness for this work is that air management and weather protection is not as sorted as it is on full fairing bikes. Initial reports are that this has been improved on the '15s. But what it takes, it gives back to some extent. The Multi is comfortable in hot weather.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:57 PM   #13
Litemup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
I recently went through the same decisions. There is lots of good and bad info out there on bikes. I would say one of the previous posters stating that these are not everyday rides may be a bit off. Then again you can look at his avatar. If you want to wield an 1000 pounder around in a parking lot then there is definitely much more plush options out there.

I rode the 14' 1190 and the Multistrada. The Multi is in the garage. The dealers here for both are great. So no problem there , what steered me away from the KTM (and I own a KTM 530 EXC) was the issue with the heat from the seat and the airbox issues. The KTM 1190 is awesome. The heat issue actually gave me a bit of a sunburn on my rear. Also there have been many people crater motors due to the lack of sealing on the airbox. So I added up the list of things needed for the KTM: Airbox replacement, underseat heat mitigation, luggage, heated grips, LED Tail Light and Blinkers, exhaust and re-flash. The Multistrada got a new LED Tail light and Rizoma Blinkers. The price difference between the two "out the door" was around $3500. That is a lot of gas. The other thing was the Multi fit me better and felt better on the road where I will be riding it.

I have the KTM 530 EXC that is plated for enduro stuff and it weighs a whole lot less if I drop it.
The difference in price between the two right now is around 5k and this may be just to much of a factor. I'm really excited about the 15 MTS S but I'm not sure how I can justify the 5k. I was actually pretty set on the KTM until I really began reading more about the new MTS S.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #14
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,669
I'd strongly recommend doing some reading in the Orange Crush forum before putting your money down on a KTM. I rode one, it was awesome but the Ducati looks like the reliability choice.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:54 PM   #15
Litemup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I'd strongly recommend doing some reading in the Orange Crush forum before putting your money down on a KTM. I rode one, it was awesome but the Ducati looks like the reliability choice.
I have been reading on the KTM forums and Ducati for a couple years now I'm well aware of the issues with both. Neither has any issues that I would consider deal breakers although the heat problem on the KTM is close but solvable.
I had a great deal lined up on a 2015 1190 but I'm beginning to worry as the dealer is having problems reflashing the computer?? They have had it for a couple days now and say they are communicating w KTM but no luck....and this is a new bike supposedly just out of the crate.