User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 308
Multistrada v. Stelvio v. 1190

Curious about thoughts for people with experience owning/riding these bikes. About me: Ive been riding three years around the backroads of rural central PA. Long rides of about 300-400 miles, and now I am thinking about broadening my horizons, like longer weekend and weeklong trips. I ride mostly asphalt, but like to occasionally get off on a light fire road/gravel trail.

I ride a Tiger 800 now, but also owned an SV1000. I loved the instant grunt of the SV, and it handled incredibly well in the twisties. I'm looking for a bike that's FUN like that again.

I'm not big on wrenching my own, but I can do the basics. I understand the Multi is VERY tight and prohibits a lot of maintenance. I also understand the reliability on them has vastly improved, and major service intervals are farther between. I understand the Guzzi network is slim, but I have one (Europa Machina) near me, as well as a Ducati (Koups) and two KTM (B&B and Camp Hill).

So, that's it. Thoughts?

2012 Triumph Tiger 800 Roadie
2003 Suzuki SV 1000
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #2
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,832
I have a Stelvio...love it. It replaced my FJR as my touring rig. Easy to wrench on yourself, great range, overall a much overlooked bike that is a lot for the money. The bike can be general serviced at home by an average wrench. Bike is about 660lbs with a full tank.

I also have a KTM 990. You won't beat this bike off-road with any other liter+ bike. It's crazy good in anything non-pavement and pretty good on road. It's also 100lbs lighter than the Stelvio, but with less range. I have to take the KTM about half apart to check the valves. KTM does an amazing job at how they build an engine, but it's buried inside the bike.

I have a ducati diavel and will attempt a valve check and belt replacement. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking forward to it. The multi is a fantastic road bike. Not sure I would be flogging a $20k bike like this down a gravel road, but I would enjoy the long paved way around. The multi is pretty light for what it does.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
The Multistrada is a brilliant bike. When I bought mine I test rode the MTS 1200, Tiger 1200, S10, V-Strom 1K, and the Stelvio. None of them beats the MTS on the road...YMMV. I have not done anything off road with my MTS however except going down the occasional dirt road so I can't comment on the dirt worthiness of it. But, on the road you'll be very hard pressed to find a better bike. The only objection I have is that the seat is a tad confining (fore/aft) but overall the bike is really comfortable to tour on. As far as issues go I had to have the fuel tank replaced at no charge on my MTS...no other issues in two years.

All of that said, most of the other bikes are really good too...the S10 has a really friendly engine and a broad torque cruve as does the Stelvio but the MTS and the Tiger are in a different league. The V-Strom, (2012 model) is the only one of the bunch that I couldn't wait to get off of...I hated everything about it once underway.

In the end the only models that made my final list were...MTS 1200, Tiger 1200, and Stelvio, in that order. High praise for the Stelvio, IMHO considering how fantistic the MTS and the Tiger 1200 are, and how good the S10 is as an overall package. The Tiger was my favorite until I rode the MTS...I was at the dealer to buy the Triumph when I rode the Duc...never looked back. On the road the Duc handles like a sport bike, has the engine of a superbike, has the comfort of a touring bike, gets good MPG, and the Skyhook suspension is simply brilliant. It is the best bike I have ever ridden in the twisty bits including various sportbikes, a YZF 750R, a ZX7, an FJR, two Interceptors, and an BMW R1100S.

Considering your listed criteria...I'd suggest a MTS 1200 test ride.

Flightar screwed with this post 02-09-2015 at 09:10 PM
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #4
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,622
owned two of the three......i think if i were only doing longer rides (on asphalt), the Stelvio would be my choice, it makes for a fantastic and cool looking cruiser, the downside being its weight....tons of motor and design appeal if you ask me, offers good utility as well. for me to choose the Multi, the rides would have to include spirited riding in the twisties a good portion of the time. its cockpit is smaller, seat a bit more constrained, and its wind management isn't as good as the Stelvios. yep, working on the Guzzi was easy, but the parts/dealer network aren't as robust in my opinion.

did i mention that the Guzzi was heavy?

both the Mutli and Stelvio are amazing bikes, buy the one that suits you and your riding needs best!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
Mondo Endo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I rode all three before buying my Stelvio. The KTM and Ducati are amazing bikes but for me because I ride a lot maintenance costs are a major consideration when buying a bike. The fact that I can do all required services myself and are easy sealed the deal for me. Im lucky and have three dealers within 75 miles from home with the closest being 30 miles so parts and such are of little concern. I bought my 13 new for $12999. a savings of thousands over the others in its class.
Mondo Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,220
I had a 950 KTM and just sold my Stelvio and picked up a Multistrudel.

The KTM is the best in the dirt and does excellent on the slab. I found maintenance to be high as with any KTM. Great bikes but a bit on the hyper side and need taking care of.

My Stelvio was also a great bike. Easy maintenance and just loved the low end torque and that engine. I never had any issues with it in the 15K that I owned it. Great bike on the road and capable on the dirt roads. My only issue was it is quite heavy and a bit too tall for my bitty 32" legs. I would own another one in a heartbeat.

The Strudel is also a great bike. Like the KTM it is a little more maintenance intensive but OMG what an engine on that thing. Scare the hell out of crotch rockets in the canyons and still do a bit of dirt road riding. Time will tell if I like it better that the Stelvio but at about 100lbs. lighter and an inch shorter it is fulfilling my wants so far.

They all have about the same wind protection but with a little larger windscreen on the Stelvio it was a super comfortable cruiser.

Ride them all and get the one that speaks to you.

Marc

Lomax screwed with this post 03-02-2015 at 02:50 PM
Lomax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #7
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I rode the Stelvio, the BMW ('12 oilhead) and the Multi when I was hunting. I have good service available in my area for all three, but would have wrenched (routine service, component replacement) the BMW and Guzzi myself. The Ducati requires more patience for engine maintenance (valves and belts) but minor service is do it yourself and just about the same.

I rode the Multi last and was thinking I'd buy the BMW (sensible shoes) but wanted to see what the Multi fuss was about. The mags were gushing so I thought it was worth a look. All it took was that one ride on the Multi. The difference in weight and the delicious fluidity of the thing just grabbed me.

After that I didn't want a Stelvio or the last GS because they felt so damn heavy. Neither the 1190 nor the new GS were available when I bought the Multi (both had been announced but not delivered) but the Multi was so compelling to ride that I just bought it.

I use it for everything, errands, touring and sporty work and have not regretted the purchase. MY last GS was a bit more comfortable but the Multi gets 'er done. It's a chameleon as far as mission focus is concerned.

You can't go wrong with any of the better options these days but I'm not looking at this time because my Multi serves me well. I love to ride it.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #8
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrCutB8 View Post
I ride a Tiger 800 now, but also owned an SV1000. I loved the instant grunt of the SV, and it handled incredibly well in the twisties. I'm looking for a bike that's FUN like that again.
A very diverse range of bikes you've chosen to consider, but don't discount a demo ride (shouldn't be hard to get), on the all new 2014+ 2nd gen DL1000 VStrom.

It always had a great motor, but from 2002 through 2012 it was packaged like a KLR.
NOT the case anymore, it's new from top to bottom and truly an enthusiast's mount.

I'd doubt you wouldn't be impressed after a ride and the buy in would save thousands,
never mind MINIMAL servicing costs.

Just a thought...

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,358
Bought the 2010 multi12 standard. Couple of years later the S10. 29,000+ miles later, the Griso. Test rode the Stelvio. After the S10, decided I needed lighter.

By this time, the 1190 Adv was out, I was thinking of going back to the Multi12, but test rode the 1190, done deal. Best wind protection of the 4 and plenty of power, plus suspension is great and handles superb.

The hooligan in me wants the 1290 Super Duke, but the old man in me, says just upgrade to the 1290 SA. LOL.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #10
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,290
Quote:
I understand the Guzzi network is slim, but I have one (Europa Machina) near me, as well as a Ducati (Koups) and two KTM (B&B and Camp Hill).

So, that's it. Thoughts?
This one's easy. With all 3 dealers close to you, ride them and you will know which one is for you. We can sit here at our keyboards and give you OUR impressions of these bikes all day long, but that's not what matters. What matters is YOUR impression of them. Put the helmet on and go check 'em out.

BTW, you already own one of the best bikes out there for your stated purpose. Just say'in.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #11
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
This one's easy. With all 3 dealers close to you, ride them and you will know which one is for you. We can sit here at our keyboards and give you OUR impressions of these bikes all day long, but that's not what matters. What matters is YOUR impression of them. Put the helmet on and go check 'em out.
...says the guy in sunny California. This is what we do in Pennsylvania when it's scheduled to be one degree above zero and there's eight inches of snow on the ground, not to mention salt and cinder on every road worth riding...
Quote:

BTW, you already own one of the best bikes out there for your stated purpose. Just say'in.....

-SM
I might get massacred for saying this, but the Tigger just doesn't move me. I'm coming up on a large maintenance and I would need to add bags and the like to make it do what I want to do. So, with those $$$ items in mind, it's as good a time as any to think about stepping up. Not saying I haven't ruled that out, but I have the WANTS...

2003 Suzuki SV 1000
Old 02-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #12
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
Ride them all and get the one that speaks to you.

Marc
I hear that.

2003 Suzuki SV 1000
Old 02-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #13
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,290
Quote:
...says the guy in sunny California. This is what we do in Pennsylvania when it's scheduled to be one degree above zero and there's eight inches of snow on the ground, not to mention salt and cinder on every road worth riding...

I might get massacred for saying this, but the Tigger just doesn't move me. I'm coming up on a large maintenance and I would need to add bags and the like to make it do what I want to do. So, with those $$$ items in mind, it's as good a time as any to think about stepping up. Not saying I haven't ruled that out, but I have the WANTS...
The WANTS also happen when cooped up for months with no riding. I know all about it, I used to live back there (I was born in Buffalo.... ). That's why I now live in sunny CA....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:51 PM   #14
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
The WANTS also happen when cooped up for months with no riding. I know all about it, I used to live back there (I was born in Buffalo.... ). That's why I now live in sunny CA....

-SM
Every time I think I have it bad, I always think: Could be worse. Could be Buffalo.

2003 Suzuki SV 1000
Old 02-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #15
murdock2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
MTS vs s1000xr vs 1290 adv

I can't wait to watch/read a shoot out comparison between the new Ducati MTS, BMW s1000xr and the KTM 1290 Adv. I was eyeing either a S10, BMW r1200gs, Yamaha FJ-09, and triumph tiger XRx, but think I will wait to see how the new duc and s1000xr turn out.

Given the amount of urban traffic I face, and amount of manual wrestling I need to do in the garage with my bike, I think my desired weight limit on a bike is around 550lbs max.the r1200gs (non GSA) is about 525, but I do not trust the shaft drive reliability of BMW, but I think their chain drive will be fine and easy to maintain, even with daily commuting.

I definitely want crusie control and decent weather protection.