Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 02:17 AM   #2041
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
Well, I used to have contacts (I was the training guy for Guzzi in the UK for a some years, including the 8 valve engine launch)

The chassis is rigid on the 2008, I could imagine 50mm forks being dropped for cost or for an improved fork setup, not because of a problem with previous chassis design...
Adam, I know you think we're all wide-eyed adventure bike fanboys on here, and you'd be right, but even we are not going to swallow the suggestion that some countries have had, within living memory, Guzzi training guys.

Nevertheless, as someone hoping good times return for one of the more logical engine layouts out there, I welcome your comments, however you may have come by the information.

I wonder whether this bike really could do the trick for Guzzi. Does seem to tick an awful lot of real-world boxes. Look forward to riding one when the cast wheel model arrives in Oz. (Must be close.)

Hope it deserves endorsements more enthusastic than that offered by presenter Guy Allen in deWog's posted vid: "Worth a look."

deWog, thanks for the link. The review has been posted previously but not the vid, I think, loaded October. Not much we didn't know but at least we can see the latest NTX in action. Does look good on the gravel.

Embedded:

Old 01-24-2012, 03:54 AM   #2042
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Adam, I know you think we're all wide-eyed adventure bike fanboys on here, and you'd be right, but even we are not going to swallow the suggestion that some countries have had, within living memory, Guzzi training guys.
It's true that most of my time involved scoots, but my heart was always in the Guzzis

Quote:

I wonder whether this bike really could do the trick for Guzzi. Does seem to tick an awful lot of real-world boxes. Look forward to riding one when the cast wheel model arrives in Oz. (Must be close.)
Absolutely - I'm not an off road rider of any skill just yet, but I have heard good things about the Stelvio's off road abilities (when compared to other behemoths anyway!). Fingers crossed, they deserve better than they do right now IMHO
Old 01-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #2043
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmeterman View Post
I am a potential newb to Guzzi's. I currently ride a DL1000. I am drooling over that burnt orange Stelvio 8V with those gorgeous wheels (I don't kid myself about needing spoked wheels). I sat on a 2009 Stelvio and found that my knees contacted the heads. The seat was in the lower position, and I was in street pants, so I think I would find little difference with the seat raised and wearing knee pads. I wonder if that kind of vibrating contact might inflict pain to the knees after a few hours, even through knee pads. Would any long legged Guzzi V-twin owners care to comment?

Well... I am 6'4" and have 40k on my Stelvio.
As far as the knees touching the heads... Not an issue for me. I rarely touch the heads with the seat on the high position as I sit at the back of the seat and don't typically ride with the legs clamping the tank... I sit much more relaxed than that. Even when "wicking her up" I don't have an issue with the heads getting in the way. Truthfully I was concerned about this as well but it has turned out to be a non issue.

This is not a race replica and so screwing the tank is not even an image requirement. lol

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #2044
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
It's true that most of my time involved scoots ...
Aha!

Quote:
... but my heart was always in the Guzzis
Your insights are appreciated. I swing between this and the Duc 1200 (with occasional nods to a GS - I'm a fan of unconventional chassis), but keep coming back.

The more I hear and read, the more deeply I suspect the Guzzi has been underrated.

Had better get in the saddle. I know I could ride an earlier version, and pick one up cheap, but it's the freshen-up that has really got my attention.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #2045
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by deWog View Post
Hmmm....seems the new Stelvio has done the rounds here in Oz; another review I've found (again, apologies if this has been posted before):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRGDH4_JPJA

dW
You should know that Mark Fattore, who wrote the on-line article, is a VERY competent rider, street or dirt (as you'd expect of a full-time bike journo). He's physically quite "compact" - I'd guess around 5'7" and I suspect he'd need sand in his pockets to reach 75kg.
Feann is a slender guy, taller but lighter and although theirs was only a one-day brief overview, I thibnk they gave the bikes a good chance to show their best.
In contrast, Guy Allen - who did the youtube review - is a big man: probably 6'5" and I doubt he's seen a double-digit weight (in kg) since he was a young teenager.
Yet they both say roughly the same thing: the Stelvio's a close match (or better)to a GSA.
What they DON'T say is that we're being royally ripped off by the importer: taking foreign prices, foreign taxes, exchange rates, transport, etc into account, the Stelvio is about A$5 - 6,000 too expensive here.
As a die-hard Guzzi owner (I've had at least four different Guzzis every single day for the last 30 years - and still have them, and have probably owned over 25 different bikes), I'd be looking very hard at either a Yamaha S10 (bland but competent) or a Triumph Explorer (unknown but intriguing) several thousand dollars before I took a Stelvio seriously.
Hopefully either the importer will realise what a mistake they've made with their BMW-esque price point - or the factory will apopoint a more realistic importer. I'm not holding my breath on either point!
As it is, I have a pair of Caponords and they do everything I want, lacking only ABS and a shaft-drive - but for the price of a Stelvio, I could have FOUR Caponords!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #2046
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
What they DON'T say is that we're being royally ripped off by the importer: taking foreign prices, foreign taxes, exchange rates, transport, etc into account, the Stelvio is about A$5 - 6,000 too expensive here.
......!
Yes.

It's a curse. Some call it the "tyranny of distance" (it's not like we can hop across the border to Spain and buy one now, can we?) but here in Oz we pay waaaaaaaay too much for everything from iTunes to coffee to Porsches....What we can take solace with is that the Stelvio NTX, whilst not cheap, is still several thousands of dollars ahead when compared to a similarly spec'd GS-Adv. Couple that with Guzzi "character" (love-it-or-hate-it!!), an engine you couldnt' kill with a cricket bat, and, in my opinion at least, a far better looking bike than the panzer-tank inspired GS range, and i still think anybody buying the Stelvio is on a winner.....

But, as you said, shame about the AUD$ price.....

dw
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #2047
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I know I could ride an earlier version, and pick one up cheap, but it's the freshen-up that has really got my attention.
After owning mine for a while I came to a conclusion, the only real criticisms I could aim at the bike were the poor screen (for my taller than average height; too much noise) and the poor range from the tank. Both sorted with the new bike! I'm looking to see if I can convert mine to the new tank/screen layout

Adam R screwed with this post 01-25-2012 at 02:28 AM Reason: spelling
Adam R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:38 AM   #2048
Shakey!
Pants....That is all

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by deWog View Post
Yes.

It's a curse. Some call it the "tyranny of distance" (it's not like we can hop across the border to Spain and buy one now, can we?) but here in Oz we pay waaaaaaaay too much for everything from iTunes to coffee to Porsches....What we can take solace with is that the Stelvio NTX, whilst not cheap, is still several thousands of dollars ahead when compared to a similarly spec'd GS-Adv. Couple that with Guzzi "character" (love-it-or-hate-it!!), an engine you couldnt' kill with a cricket bat, and, in my opinion at least, a far better looking bike than the panzer-tank inspired GS range, and i still think anybody buying the Stelvio is on a winner.....

But, as you said, shame about the AUD$ price.....

dw
Best thing to do is wait 'till October/November when the importers give big discounts to the dealers to move the 2011/2012 stock off their floor plans before the 2013 stock arrives.......
Kawasaki KLX250S
Shakey! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #2049
next_horizon
Next Horizon

Oddometer: 24
Choosing an Adventure Motorcycle

The lane that leads to my house is just minutes from the M25 motorway; riding it always puts me in a good mood because it is narrow and roofed by the branches of huge horse chestnut trees. An English lane: an oasis of calm; we call it semi-rural.

This winter the tarmac has been ripped up. It started with big trucks wearing a few holes when they delivered to the retirement home at the end of the lane; the remaining residents made it worse as they drove up and down in cars and zimmer frames.

Me? I have a Moto Guzzi Stelvio adventure motorcycle – I stand on the pegs and weave the entire three metres of bad road.

Pathetic isn’t it? But I love it.

I was going into central London today – brief visit, pick up some stuff, home again.But it meant I would have to traverse the 3 metres of holes. More...
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.
next_horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #2050
dhr
Explorer of suburbs

Oddometer: 173
Who has also ridden a Quota?

Has anyone ridden both a Quota and Stelvio? How do the riding experiences compare? I owned a Quota for a little while and enjoyed it but found its weight a little cumbersome given that I am only 5'8" and 135lbs, also it diden't help that it was set up for some that was 300lbs!

dhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #2051
mentalfloss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I have ridden both and there are some similarities and some differences.
The stelvio is much faster.
The stelvio seems heavy at low speeds compared to the Quota.
The long range ergos are better on the stelvio.
The little things are better on the stelvio....lights....brakes( not so little) wheels....charging system....

The carc drive is better on the stelvio
The quota is a better low cost value at what you can buy one for and not loose value after putting some miles on it and selling it later....in other words...the slack has been taken out of the cost if you get one for the $3,000 range they seem to bring. You will always be able to get your money back out of it.

I loved both of them but the stelvio is a WAY better machine for what the average ADV touring rider does.
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #2052
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,841
Hmmmmm....

Get a left over 2011 with the small tank - bit of an issue in west Texas....or hold out for a 2012 in May

Discuss
Old 02-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #2053
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
Hmmmmm....

Get a left over 2011 with the small tank - bit of an issue in west Texas....or hold out for a 2012 in May

Discuss
Option C: Buy an old one and a tank / screen conversion ... :)
Old 02-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #2054
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
Hmmmmm....

Discuss
There has been some discussion of the Stucchi auxiliary tank in this thread, and I'd be tempted to see if the price difference between a leftover current model and the new NTX wouldn't be greater than the cost of adding the tank. At least that way you wouldn't be waiting for the new bike. You'd have a Stelvio now.

FWIW, impulse control is not my long suit.

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #2055
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post

FWIW, impulse control is not my long suit.
Yeabut the value of the '11 will plummet when the 2012 is available