Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #2071
BravoBravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
Hmmmmm....

Get a left over 2011 with the small tank - bit of an issue in west Texas....or hold out for a 2012 in May

Discuss
I have just had the Stucchi Luigi auxiliary tank installed on my 2009 Stelvio. It looks like a very high quality item, and should vastly improve my range, which is the only weak point I have found so far with the bike (well, okay a few little issues, like the speedo sensor crapping out when it gets wet, but nothing major.)

Cheers,

Bruce
BravoBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #2072
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoBravo View Post
(well, okay a few little issues, like the speedo sensor crapping out when it gets wet, but nothing major.)
That should be a dead issue now - the replacement was upgraded - mine is used in all sorts of crap weather and hasb't let me down since the new type went on
Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #2073
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
That should be a dead issue now - the replacement was upgraded - mine is used in all sorts of crap weather and hasb't let me down since the new type went on
When I replaced mine I coated it with silicone before installing just to be sure. I have ridden through biblical rains since with no issue.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #2074
Telman
Ulysses Member

Oddometer: 125
Nice write up.

http://www.cycletorque.com.au/Moto-G...o-1200-8V-NTX/
Old 02-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #2075
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
The only glaring error in the report was the reference to the "five" speed tranny. Evidently they lost count as they were going through the gears --- or maybe they just never got beyond 5 on the upshifts!
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #2076
bigtex
Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer: 650
Now if we can just get the pretty boy to move out of the way, we can see the pretty Italian bike:

All from the new Olympia line: http://olympiamotosports.com/categor...ir-essentials/

Too many shots with my lovely bike hidden, but it was fun doing a photoshoot day.

bigtex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #2077
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
The only glaring error in the report was the reference to the "five" speed tranny. Evidently they lost count as they were going through the gears --- or maybe they just never got beyond 5 on the upshifts!
Cut-price Australian model - bloody importer's always trying to cut corners!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #2078
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
Now if we can just get the pretty boy to move out of the way, we can see the pretty Italian bike:

Too many shots with my lovely bike hidden, but it was fun doing a photoshoot day.
The "Chin" is the Chuck Norris of motorcycle apparel
Old 02-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #2079
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
I really like my Stelvio, and did a few mods to make it even better for me.

1) Didn't like the overly wide stock handlebards so I installed some from an Aprilia Mana. Virtually the same bend as the stockers, but 3" narrower. After photo was taken I installed the Guzzi handguards that fit perfectly.

2) Some highway pegs so I can stretch out the legs on those long straightaways.

3) Air horn to replace the wimpy stocker - my scooter has a louder stock horn!

alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #2080
mentalfloss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Interesting place for the foot pegs. Did you reinforce the sump guard? Did you fabricate those your self?
Nice work.
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #2081
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post
Interesting place for the foot pegs. Did you reinforce the sump guard? Did you fabricate those your self?
Nice work.
Pegs are store bought, but I made the bracket that picks up the two M8 bolts on each side that attach the engine guards, using longer bolt of course. The sump guard is unaffected. I find the riding position and seat of the Stelvio amazingly comfortable, but these highway pegs are for when I just need to stretch out my legs for awhile.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #2082
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Been reading through all hundred and change pages of this thread. Good reading!

Can someone tell me why I shouldn't get a US-market 2011 Stelvio? I've been looking through the threads here and browsing around other sites, looking for the "fatal flaw"...the thing that tells me I shouldn't get one. Why a 2011? Better deals on 2011's than waiting for the 2012's. Simple as that.

A few things I've learned...

- fuel tank size: the smaller fuel tank is not an issue for me. If I think I might ever be out somewhere and won't be able to get fuel, I can buy some extra plastic fuel tanks and strap them to the panniers.

- Reliability issues and other problems (cam followers & speed sensors) seem to have been handled and really only affect the '09 model year. Only other issues I saw don't seem to be a big deal...fork pinch bolts need to be torqued properly, need to make sure things are lubed properly...that's about it. I'm reading that the Stelvio is pretty rock-solid reliable.

- Some are concerned about dealer support and a lack of dealerships...if you look at what I'm currently riding (see my signature), you should quickly realize that a lack of dealerships is not a big concern of mine.

Am I missing anything? What's the fatal flaw that will tell me that I shouldn't get one?

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #2083
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
Been reading through all hundred and change pages of this thread. Good reading!
Am I missing anything? What's the fatal flaw that will tell me that I shouldn't get one?
There isn't one.

Enjoy your new Stelvio.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #2084
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
Soldierguy, beyond what the others have said, the only other thing you need to have is patience related to the ordering of parts, they can take a while if not in stock at the dealership level. By the way, a friend of mine may be selling his black 2009 Stelvio (all recalls/fixes performed, lot's of goodies), PM me if you want further details. The larger tank on the 2012 bikes will be a nice option to have, especially given the relatively short-range of the previous year's tanks, you simply may not find value in it though. I love Moto Guzzis (owned a Stelvio, sold to an ADV forum member), and have a special fondness for their motors and design, they're in a class by themselves. Light bikes they are not; have you ever held a Stelvio's rider seat in your hands?

Enjoy the hunt,
Old 02-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #2085
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
have you ever held a Stelvio's rider seat in your hands?
Yeah, why is that seat so heavy??? It seems like it is totally over-built to me, like it can support a thousand pound rider! Would think it would have saved many lbs making it out of a lighter material. The pillion seat is nice and light with it's plastic base. My Beta DS bike's seat weighs practically nothing in comparison, but is not nearly as comfortable.