Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #2251
BravoBravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Leather saddlebags, tassles, bit of cardboard in the spokes to give it an engine sound...
Seriously, why would you?
The only thing I DON'T like about the Stelvio (and it seems I'm on my own here! ) is that it leaves the factory in primer and needs a coat of colour and some clear on top. Preferably red.
You're not on your own. I love my '09 Stelvio. It's red, IMHO the best colour for this bike!

Bruce
BravoBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #2252
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 769
Yeah, but the 09 in black is completely invisible to ground radar. Totally stealth man.

1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #2253
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
Yeah, but the 09 in black is completely invisible to ground radar. Totally stealth man.

I have an '09 in black, it looks good, but I would swap out plastics with anyone who would trade for red!
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #2254
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
I appreciate the replies about the longer rides. This summer I'm planning about a week-ish on the Stelvio all over central and northern California, parts of the Sierras, and into Oregon. If things go reasonably well over the next several months, I'll be out again next Spring for a longer ride...maybe a month or more. At least that's what's cooking up in my head...

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #2255
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
I appreciate the replies about the longer rides. This summer I'm planning about a week-ish on the Stelvio all over central and northern California, parts of the Sierras, and into Oregon. If things go reasonably well over the next several months, I'll be out again next Spring for a longer ride...maybe a month or more. At least that's what's cooking up in my head...
I'm a northern California native, and once my NTX gets here I'm headed to the coast for a week or two, and to ramble around my old stomping grounds.
If you've not been there, I can certainly make some route suggestions - there's a lot of excellent riding. I know the Sierras and southern Cascades like the back of my hand.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #2256
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
Anyone around here ever take a Guzzi on a long trip? By long trip, I mean something you read about in the Ride Reports threads...thousands of miles into areas that may have never seen a Guzzi?
George, from the Yahoo Quota group, rode his Guzzi from the US and down into South America. There was also a couple that rode 2-up from the US to South America and back on their Quota. One of the big moto mags had on article a few years ago about their trip.

Uros, from Slovenia, rode his Quota for a year through Africa and South America. He did about 40,000 miles on that jaunt. He has also had his Guzzi through Turkey, India, Pakistan, and India.

quota screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 07:30 PM
quota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:12 AM   #2257
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
I love the way they adorn your parlour. I mean, who needs coffee table books when you've got those?
Thnx! It's a big room and we can't afford furniture... The coffee-table is an aluminium V8 block from a Rolls-Royce.
And the "saucers of milk" are to collect the ambrosia with which older Guzzis sometime bless their owners ...
Old 05-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #2258
next_horizon
Next Horizon

Oddometer: 24
Turn right at Lake Baikal?

Hello Everyone :)
My summer ride plans have changed as I have to be back in the UK late August to become a Grandfather (YAY !!!!) but the travel action is starting.
Today I bought medical insurance from Saga (Seniors insurance co) which means
a) I'm old but
b) I can fill in the visa forms for Russia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan.
Meantime I'm waiting to hear from Snr. Stucchi about extended petrol tank for the Stelvio. May have to pick it up in Italy. How hard is that? :) :) :)
I'm leaving London May 21 approx and have to be in Kiev for the 31 May. Will go to Tarasova Gora Ukraine Bikers Rally on June 2 and 3

After that - 4000 miles east to Lake Baikal :) Then - the right turn down to Mongolia :) :)

I'll twitter from @derekmansfield
Website is www.derekmansfield.co.uk
Facebook is Derek Mansfield :)

I know it's only form filling - but boy am I excited :) :) :)

Cordially,
Derek
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.
next_horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #2259
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by next_horizon View Post
Hello Everyone :)
My summer ride plans have changed as I have to be back in the UK late August to become a Grandfather (YAY !!!!) but the travel action is starting.
Today I bought medical insurance from Saga (Seniors insurance co) which means
a) I'm old but
b) I can fill in the visa forms for Russia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan.
Meantime I'm waiting to hear from Snr. Stucchi about extended petrol tank for the Stelvio. May have to pick it up in Italy. How hard is that? :) :) :)
I'm leaving London May 21 approx and have to be in Kiev for the 31 May. Will go to Tarasova Gora Ukraine Bikers Rally on June 2 and 3

After that - 4000 miles east to Lake Baikal :) Then - the right turn down to Mongolia :) :)

I'll twitter from @derekmansfield
Website is www.derekmansfield.co.uk
Facebook is Derek Mansfield :)

I know it's only form filling - but boy am I excited :) :) :)

Cordially,
Derek
Wow! Huge trip Derek!

Do you plan to post a ride report here on ADV? I think a lot of folks would love to read about an Eastern European/Asian trek on a Stelvio.

Be safe!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #2260
next_horizon
Next Horizon

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Wow! Huge trip Derek!

Do you plan to post a ride report here on ADV? I think a lot of folks would love to read about an Eastern European/Asian trek on a Stelvio.

Be safe!

-SM
I thought I'd do a synopsis on Advrider - in the main ride report - and put the full length stuff on my web site. I'm going to try to sell some Adwords on my website to finance some of the petrol. In western Europe its $11 per gallon and in Turkey about $15 per gallon :(

The whole trip is about 20,000 miles so petrol and tyres will be a big expense. I'm hoping to do quite a lot of camping to keep the accomodation cost reasonable.

My normal thing is to slum/camp for a week and then stay one night in 4 star hotel. At least they speak English in good hotels and will usually help with any bike related problems etc.

Cordially,

Derek
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.
next_horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #2261
baglien
Trail Master

Oddometer: 156
New Stelvio... well, to me...

I just picked up a 2009 Stelvio -- the previous owner had a oops and melted the front fender by mounting up an over-sized tire. I saw in here that someone (bigtex?) mounted up a SM fender to the triple tree to give him more options for tires, but I'm a little worried that'll cut down the air flow to the oil cooler. So let me know if anyone has done this and noticed an uptick in the running temps or any other adverse affects (like fender lift, buffeting, etc).

Also, if anyone has a source for an aftermarket (like carbon fiber) front fender, post um... other cycle makes/models that have a slightly higher fender, etc.
baglien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #2262
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by baglien View Post
I just picked up a 2009 Stelvio -- the previous owner had a oops and melted the front fender by mounting up an over-sized tire. I saw in here that someone (bigtex?) mounted up a SM fender to the triple tree to give him more options for tires, but I'm a little worried that'll cut down the air flow to the oil cooler. So let me know if anyone has done this and noticed an uptick in the running temps or any other adverse affects (like fender lift, buffeting, etc).

Also, if anyone has a source for an aftermarket (like carbon fiber) front fender, post um... other cycle makes/models that have a slightly higher fender, etc.
Acerbis makes a plastic front fender that has slots cut in the back of it for better airflow.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...nt-Fender.aspx

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:19 AM   #2263
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Big-tank conversion

I saw a bit of speculation earlier in the thread about whether the new 32 Litre fuel tank could be retro-fitted to the previous models.

Today just happened upon a web page showing it done.

Link is: http://www.fastguzzi.nl

That takes you to "Paul's Fast Guzzi Page". Click the "My Stelvio" link from the menu on the left, and you're there. Pics and English captions of the conversion process.

Not a lot of detail in the captions, but it sounds quite achievable and brought a very nice result. Tho not sure what is the story with the missing panel.

He put the cast wheels on also.

So there. Don't know how cost-effective, but it can be done.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #2264
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 949
A few new toys

Stelvio is about to turn 15k miles, and to get her ready for some travel this summer I threw some time at the fuel range situation.

1.75 gallon Rotopax on a well traveled Pelican case up top, as well the 32oz MSR bottle from Twisted Throttle on the high side pannier...she now holds ~6.8 gallons for an easy 250 miles. Also, (tough to see in the pics) added a Mistral stainless w/ baffle for fun Quiet, but a polite increase in volume that seemed to clean up the lower rev's a bit.

DLdeano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #2265
mentalfloss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Dean...you mean I have other options than buying a 2012???!?!?!?!@#$%@%@!#%
Damn you man...I was about to stroke a check for new 32L tank and a 2012 that comes with it.
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote