Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #2341
Holeshot08
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
My ST1300 was a heat sink too, but that was accumulated heat from the motor soaking into the tank and not really having good venting to move the air through.

The first hour's ride was in traffic on a hot day with a new motor...so it was a bit toasty - but sitting at a light on a hot day, idling in heavy riding gear is rarely a pleasant time on any bike. This engine layout isn't really any worse heatwise than other bikes in that scenario.
Heat is heat and you want to be moving so you don't bathe in it

When moving, it's like any other bike. We covered around 430 miles yesterday and the only heat related discomfort was from wearing leathers and a heavy jacket once we got back down in elevation to 100F temps on the front range. But everyone was hot, not just me.

It doesn't really matter at all....it's a matter of timing and when I could get it done and when they could get to it.
There's no magic to the interval, you just want to give things a good look and check valve lash.
I usually do my own first services but there's a few things I want a trained Guzzi eye looking at early on (throttle body synch, valves, etc).
Agree
Holeshot08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #2342
Holeshot08
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoAggie View Post
How is the engine heat at speed . . . . do you feel any at all with the cyclinder heads so close to your legs? How about around town? My ST1300 was originally incredibly hot, while the GS is so cool to ride. Your Stelvio is absoultey beautiful
What is on your rear rack?
Holeshot08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #2343
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoAggie View Post
How is the engine heat at speed . . . . do you feel any at all with the cyclinder heads so close to your legs? How about around town? My ST1300 was originally incredibly hot, while the GS is so cool to ride. Your Stelvio is absoultey beautiful
Riding this '09 Stelvio for three years now, I do feel cylinder head heat on occasion. Now it could be the key factor is my 36" inseam placing those lower limbs very close to the heads, but feeling the heat is more an exception than rule. Yesterday was one of those exceptions however. The bike was extra warm from the long forest road ride yesterday (image below). I was wearing mesh riding pants. When arriving at pavement with temps in the 70'sf, and minutes later while at speed, the wind was pushing the air over the hot cylinders, through the mesh, and yeow. I rode with the knees splayed out until the wind cooled things off. Wasn't an issue the rest of the day. But to be sure, riding year round at my almost 9,000ft. elevation, any heat from a bike is mostly BONUS.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #2344
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot08 View Post
What is on your rear rack?
Mounting bracket for a Givi topbox. I don't care much for topboxes, but when riding two up....she does
So I picked up a smallish B33 for when she's along.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:46 AM   #2345
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
New tyres

My Stelvio has just had its fourth birthday and as a special treat I thought it was time for a new pair of tyres. Instead of doing what I have always done in the past and fit OE Pirellis (great grip, but more expensive than I can cope with right now and they last like all performance street rubber, not so long!). After a bit of an internet look-see I went for some Conti Trail Attacks. Good price and they look nice Some feedback from GS riders is good too (although my 180 rear could be a different story).

I went for a ride out yesterday, an hour of nice sweeping local roads with my girl on the back - it was a blast. Lovely feedback and confident handling on some fairly dodgy (paved) surfaces. It's still early (and the old Pirellis were well past the time when I should have replaced them, it was affecting the handling quite a bit!) but so far so good.

I love my bike, just an hour of riding on a fine but cool afternoon, makes everything seem better!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #2346
Nirvana
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Impressions Wanted

It's good to see that some have taken possession of the new 2012 Telvio NTX. I'd love to hear impressions. In particular:
- how's the weight with the new supersized tank?
- what kind of gas mileage is the new engine tune delivering?
- how does the seat compare to the previous Stelvio's (assuming you've had the opprtunity to compare)?
- how does it handle off-pavement?
- how would you rate the panniers and safety guards
Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #2347
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,413
another wonderful pic, Steve. i am purposely staying away from my dealership as they've taken delivery of a new orange/copper NTX.....i've been told not to go look at it.

they're beautiful bikes in my opinion, congrats to the new owners.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #2348
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
another wonderful pic, Steve. i am purposely staying away from my dealership as they've taken delivery of a new orange/copper NTX.....i've been told not to go look at it.

You have incredible will power. I would be doomed.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #2349
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post

Obie, I've done the same... stay away, and if there is an accidental visit, kindly refuse invitations for a test ride.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #2350
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
Obie, I've done the same... stay away, and if there is an accidental visit, kindly refuse invitations for a test ride.
Put me down as staying away from the dealers, I have the Stelvio NTX as a top choice to buy from new in two years. I'd like to have two years of reports to rely on before spending the cash but I'm not sure I'd be able to hold out if I saw one in the flesh. Who knows maybe they will bring a white or green one over by then but the pictures I've seen of the black or orange ones look very good.
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #2351
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
I've recently taken possession of an Orange NTX. It now has 500 miles on it. It's meant to be a replacement for my previous ride -- a very well equipped Wee-ABS -- for my long distance touring and camping trip riding needs. I ride solo but heavily loaded, so I did a lot of upgrades to the Wee to make it capable for my purpose. My riding is on hard surface roads with any gravel/dirt only to get to a camp ground or road repairs. Initial impressions:

The NTX engine likes to run at 4K+ RPM, and it's really fun to run it up there. The challenge will be to keep it in lower gears (4th or 5th) unless I'm on high-speed I-State highways to keep my speeds somewhat legal.

The suspension is very solid with long angles for good high-speed stability and comfort. My suspicion is that it's not as good in short-tight twisties as some of the more short-coupled bikes, but since that is not my kind of riding, it doesn't bother me.

The brakes are excellent, state of the art. I haven't tryed the ABS yet but assume it's like any other ABS system.

The upright riding position for me is very good, almost exactly the same as the Wee. I get good protection from the windshield (I've been riding with it almost all the way down because of summer temps) and I don't seem to be impacted very much by winds from frontal angles. Gusts from trucks also don't seem to badly impact it.

It's heavier by 60# or so than my Wee. The Owners Manual says that Curb Weight with Full Options is 652#. I have to handle it differently. I'm more cautious in slow speed operation, I can't hand walk it up on/off my lift, etc. I knew this when I bought so it's no surprise. An additional downside of the heavier bike is that tire wear will be greater and the NTX has the same size tires as the Wee.

That's about all. I think it's a good bike and will meet my riding needs very well. Ride safe.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #2352
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
I am assuming the ABS comes on automatically at startup with the option to shut it off from there? So, I guess you mean you haven't tried it in the rain?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #2353
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
I am assuming the ABS comes on automatically at startup with the option to shut it off from there? So, I guess you mean you haven't tried it in the rain?
Correct. I've not been out in the rain or on grass/gravel to cause the ABS to activate under braking.

Interestingly, the ATC (Automatic Traction Control) is not activated automatically when the battery is connected. The owner has to find it with the Mode Selection Button (on the Left Handlebar) and activate it to have it operational. That same process is also used to deactivate it, if desired.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #2354
next_horizon
Next Horizon

Oddometer: 24
Off and limping to Mongolia

I started a thread on my journey to Mongolia in the rides section.

I'm on a 09 Stelvio.

Broke my ribs and banged up the bike within a 1000 miles but I'm still moving :)

Take a look at Moto Guzzi to Mongolia. Maybe :)
in Rides

Best
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.
next_horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #2355
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterChaos View Post
I have the Stelvio NTX as a top choice to buy from new in two years. I'd like to have two years of reports to rely on before spending the cash
two years? seriously?

it's a top choice on your list, but you need TWO years of anecdotal data from complete strangers over the internet before you'll jump in.

You aren't Guzzi material
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote