User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #2506
RTR300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Bleeding front brakes and clutch

Does anyone know if the brake fluid on a late model Guzzi, like a 2011/12 Stelvio (with ABS) be changed in the normal way? The workshop manual mentions purging the ABS with it connected to the Navigator. But can you do it without the Navigator?. Any links to a forum thread would be greatly appreciated.

Similarly, is it straightfoward to replace the clutch fluid as well?

Thanks H
RTR300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #2507
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardc View Post
Does anyone know if the brake fluid on a late model Guzzi, like a 2011/12 Stelvio (with ABS) be changed in the normal way? The workshop manual mentions purging the ABS with it connected to the Navigator. But can you do it without the Navigator?. Any links to a forum thread would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks H
The clutch should be straightforward, but I don't know about the brakes with ABS.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #2508
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardc View Post

Thanks H
From memory, without the Navigator you can change normally but you will not be able to change it all, there will be residues in the ABS unit. The Navigator has a function to activate the ABS pump to purge it of old fluid.

I believe anyway.

The clutch is easy - there's a spur pipe running under the seat with a nipple to make bleeding it simple.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #2509
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
The clutch is easy - there's a spur pipe running under the seat with a nipple to make bleeding it simple.
That's a nice feature Guzzi provided on my 1200 Sport too (so Norge and Breva would have had it as well).
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #2510
dcwn.45
Frozen Rider

Oddometer: 753
What are the 2012 Stelvio's going for as in out the door pricing?
US dollars, btw
Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #2511
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwn.45 View Post
What are the 2012 Stelvio's going for as in out the door pricing?
US dollars, btw
MSRP + fees. Piaggio is getting smarter and not saturating the US market with the '12s, so they are holding their price (unlike the Yamaha S10's which are selling at $3500 under MSRP right now ....sounds like Guzzi 1-2 years ago here).

-SM
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #2512
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
SM,

I don't know how to do those picture things but it's easy to find. Just remove that left fairing panel and it's right there with a wire tie around it. Have fun.
Thanks again Chuck. Sounds easy enough even a Sock Monkey can find it!

Have a great weekend. Just a few more sleeps until my NTX comes home.....

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 12:43 PM
Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #2513
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
MSRP + fees. Piaggio is getting smarter and not saturating the US market with the '12s, so they are holding their price (unlike the Yamaha S10's which are selling at $3500 under MSRP right now ....sounds like Guzzi 1-2 years ago here).

-SM
And unfortunately will be Guzzi again in another year with the Stelvio. It is a very precarious, slippery slope. Orders are made months in advance. As a Manufacturer and a Dealer you want to have enough of the new hotness so you don't miss sales, but you don't want to flood the market and de-value the bike by having dealers heavy on inventory, forced to turn them into cash to survive.

The number of units that will accomplish this is a moving target, and considering the lengthy order time the system by design just isn't dynamic enough to respond in a timely fashion. So what inevitably happens is the desire to capture every sale outweighs the desire to preserve sales at MSRP, and with increased supply the margins begin to erode.

I'd really like to have a Stelvio, but with a 1 year old T800 in the garage I don't need a Stelvio (though I do think my SO would be happier on the back of the Stelvio than she is on the T800). I'm perfectly content to let the market run its course and potentially pick one up at a later date. Or perhaps I'll just keep the trumpet indefinitely and pick up a V7 to compliment it.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #2514
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
And unfortunately will be Guzzi again in another year with the Stelvio.
I guess we'll see, but based on what I'm seeing in the marketplace right now, I would have to disagree with this prognostication. My main reasons are 1) The Stelvio NTX just arrived in the US a few months ago, and the units that showed up first were all pre-orders, and 2) looking around the country right now, there are very few NTX's for sale. That last bit is a vast difference from what I see in the Yamaha S10 market (which is good and bad....good for people wanting to buy an S10 right now, bad for owners who may be thinking of selling theirs because the value has dropped by a bunch).

Anyway, I hope you're wrong and Piaggio gets it right. By all accounts, that would mean importing fewer bikes than they can sell, thus keeping demand high. As you say, a tough job....but do-able.

-SM
Old 07-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #2515
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,699
Quote:

Have a great weekend. Just a few more sleeps until my NTX comes home.....

-SM

I'm in Elk Grove and sat on your NTX when it first came in, want me to bring it over?
Old 07-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #2516
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I'm in Elk Grove and sat on your NTX when it first came in, want me to bring it over?
Hey there!

For some reason I thought you were in SoCal??? Didn't know you were an EG guy.

Turns out they got 3 NTX's, all pre-orders. The other two went to their owners within 24hrs of the bikes being uncrated, but #3 became available when the guy that ordered it backed out. Bad for him, good for me!

Thanks for the delivery offer, but I've read your RR's (excellent reads by the way, thank you for those ) and I'm not sure I want the big girl delivered with a few thousand miles on her and covered in various bits of desert . Besides, I need to bring them my Duc, so I'll ride the red-headed Italian there and come home with the new dark haired Italian. I hope they don't create a ruckus in the parking lot....

Safe travels my friend.

-SM
Old 07-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #2517
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,699
Quote:

Thanks for the delivery offer, but I've read your RR's (excellent reads by the way, thank you for those ) and I'm not sure I want the big girl delivered with a few thousand miles on her and covered in various bits of desert .

Safe travels my friend.

-SM

A guy at work was gonna let me try out his newer Goldwing and somebody pointed out to him that I'd call in sick for a week and take it to Death Valley.

Congrats on the new bike, maybe next year for me.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #2518
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
I'm real happy for all the new Guzzi/Stelvio owners, they really are great bikes. Bought a little one myself.

Cheers!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #2519
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
I'm real happy for all the new Guzzi/Stelvio owners, they really are great bikes. Bought a little one myself.

Cheers!
Congrats!!!

The V7 is an excellent bike, which I'm sure you are already discovering.

-SM
Old 07-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #2520
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,699
I took my Griso in to RPM cycles in Dallas for its first service Friday and they had an 09 Stelvio with less than 1000 miles for sale. It was nice to be able to park my butt on one and see how it feels because I do have one on order. The Griso has made my GSA feel positively agricultural by comparison and ruined it for me.

Sitting on the Stelvio one thing stands out. It seems that the Italians know how to make a seat, it felt good for the long haul, though a brief sitting can be deceptive. Everything else seems very familiar to any GS rider. I suspect that I will reverse the risers to move the bars forward a bit if possible. I'm so looking forward to October.

Btw, I was in and out at RPM in 2 hours. They seem to be an ok bunch of folks there.

stevie88 screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 04:46 AM
stevie88 is online now   Reply With Quote