Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #2761
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I didn't like the MRA due to the 'bubble' edge of the unit. It would grab light from anywhere. It would be much better with a cut edge like most windshields are.

Some pics from the trip...
Thanks Kirb!

Those pics are perfect.

From the video it doesn't look like the added weight makes the screen shake at all, which is surprising (in a good way).

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #2762
Tinkerfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Eek

Anyone in western Canada looking to pick up a used NTX

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ405763560

No affiliation with the seller, wish I had the money for a fly and ride but rebuilding my deck next week and my hot water tank blew up yesterday so the Breva will have to suffice for a couple more years.

Cheers
Tinkerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #2763
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

But - realize that low stock isn't necessarily a slacker dealer. There was a couple years of overproduction and full warehouses resulting in fire sale prices. Lots more 'as needed per order' basis for the showroom now with the Piaggio Group.
Small number mfr'rs like Guzzi can't fill all the showrooms, then hope they sell.

A good shop with one in the pipeline might be a state or three away - but that's the fun part, isn't it?
I think the Stelvio (and Norge) are important numbers for Guzzi and the success of models that compete in the major sectors (with BMW?) head to head will want to define the success of the brand in this country. I realize that not all dealers can be committed to carrying the full line and that there has been a lot of (profit) erosion over the last years (also true for Aprilia), but the Stelvio is an important motorcycle in the lineup. I was bemused with Guzzi when all they seemed to be building were cruiser variants. How could they be successful competing in that segment against people who did it better and with less quirkiness? Supporting the "enthusiast biased" models and expanding the factory's success with those though, that makes sense.

A dealer who doesn't commit to the line is going to have to learn how to service any given machine on the one you buy, and your investment in a machine needs to be confirmed by a dealer's willingness to go out on a limb and bring them in. A dealer who doesn't says essentially that they have no confidence in the product. Guzzi/Piaggio is probably guilty of dreadfully poor marketing but a dealer who won't invest in a major component of the line probably shouldn't be carrying it because he's already indicating that his confidence is low. There may be very good reasons for that, but he's still deadweight.

Sometimes it is hard to quit a line because of relationships or the fear of occasional lost profit in a market that has become more and more difficult to make money in. Guzzi is really a marginal brand and that makes it even harder. But that doesn't mean one shouldn't try. To be successful, you have to overcome the obstacles and express enthusiasm and commitment for the sake of your customers. Piaggio probably has much to learn or to accomplish in this respect, and to be honest, I don't know the politics of the thing, but I do know that a dealer needs to exhibit confidence in his products to be any good with them at all.

I'd buy from the strong, experienced and enthusiastic dealer. And you know, I'm sure we both agree on that, Blakebird.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:49 AM   #2764
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Thanks Kirb!
Those pics are perfect.
From the video it doesn't look like the added weight makes the screen shake at all, which is surprising (in a good way).
-SM
The screen shakes a little at speed, but that could be from the added wind area more than anything. It REALLY cuts down on noise and wind blast. I run with the shield nearly all the way down due to the added height to no more than half way up. The top curl is exactly what the original shield should have had.

in all, it was a great investment as there are no NTX aftermarket offerings yet.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #2765
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
I've been using a Laminar Lip that was designed for my BMW R1200GS. It is much, much larger than that MRA thing and it causes no problems. The greater wind protection is substantial on high-speed, long trips.

I will post some pics.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #2766
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,395
Heidenau K60 Scout with 8,300 miles

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:42 AM   #2767
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,511
^ Wow!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #2768
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
That's pretty impressive Blake. I may have to consider a set of Heidenah tires, even though I'm not an off-road kind of rider.

I doubt that I'll get that kind of mileage out of the OEM Pirelli Scorpions. I just measured 5/32" over the wear bars in the center of the rear tire at 3K miles. I didn't measure it new but suspect it was 7/32", maybe 8/32", over the wear bars. The wear bars on my tire are ~1.5/32", but I normally change when I get to those marks, or before if I'm going on a long trip.

Also, take into account that a big chunk of your mileage was two-up, so you were certainly more heavily loaded than I have been on my solo trips. I go about 200# in my riding gear and I carry about 100# of camping gear, clothing, etc. with me. I suspect that you and your wife, plus your combined gear, might have been a bit more than that.

I'm hoping to see John Henry (Zoom Zoom) at the Ohio Guzzi Rally next weekend. He recently returned from a long trip to the far Northwest on his '09 Stelvio. As I understand, he changed to a Tourance Exp out west (all the dealer had in stock), and was initially impressed with it. I'll be interested to hear his opinion about it now, compared to whatever he was running before it.

Ride safe.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #2769
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 620
You might want to check out the Michelin Anakee II's as well. I got a solid 8000 miles on them on my 3 week trip that I just got back from.

They've got a pretty good shelf on them now, but definitely still usable. I had a pretty heavy load and saw cold, high heat, dirt, highway etc.

I'm switching back to the Shinko 705's next week as I found their performance pretty similar on the road at about half the money. The Shinko's are definitely better in the gravel and packed dirt.

Front:

Rear:

1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648

WitchCityBallabio screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 07:55 AM
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #2770
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
I have been very pleased with many sets of Anakees on sveeral different Dual Sport bikes.

I try the Heidenau's when I burn up the stock tires on the Stelvio.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #2771
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
You might want to check out the Michelin Anakee II's as well. I got a solid 8000 miles on them on my 3 week trip that I just got back from.

They've got a pretty good shelf on them now, but definitely still usable. I had a pretty heavy load and saw cold, high heat, dirt, highway etc.
Is that cupping that I see on the front tire? It's hard to tell from the pic....

I had those on my BMW GS, and I liked the grip, but they cupped pretty badly so I'm not sure I'd get them again.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #2772
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 231
Very nice bike

Stelvio NTX appeared on my radar after the recent favorable reviews. I originally wanted Tiger Explorer but the low range and the price too close to GS had me leaning towards Super Tenere. But I knew the bike wouldn't be as much fun to ride as the Explorer so I still wasn't sure. After reading here and elsewhere about Stelvio and Guzzi bikes, it became a top contender - great range, good price with all the extras, powerful, reliable... I was in LA this week and decided to go to the Guzzi dealer in Glendale to take a look. The bike was very impressive. I've never seen a Guzzi and I liked the placement of the engines. I sat on it for a few minutes and the seat appeared very comfortable. I am 5"9' and the bike was a little tall and hard to push with my tip toes but I assume the seat was in the higher position. I like owning unusual things and I can just picture people coming over at gas stations to check out the bike. The only thing I didn't like was that between freight and setup fees, the price jumped to 17K but that may be normal for Guzzi dealers.

I will be in NH next weekend and I am planning to stop at the Guzzi dealer there and talk to them about how they can support a guy that lives 3 hours away in Vermont.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #2773
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrvt View Post
...the bike was very impressive. I've never seen a guzzi and i liked the placement of the engine. I sat on it for a few minutes and the seat appeared very comfortable. I am 5"9' and the bike was a little tall and hard to push with my tip toes but i assume the seat was in the higher position.

possibly not. If the front edge of the seat was an inch or so below the ridge in the black plastic cover that protects the rear of the fuel tank, the seat was in the low position. Have any pictures?? Or call that dealer and ask them.

i like owning unusual things and i can just picture people coming over at gas stations to check out the bike.

you will get a lot of dumb looks and questions like, "hey man, what is that thing?"

the only thing i didn't like was that between freight and setup fees, the price jumped to 17k but that may be normal for guzzi dealers.

expect to pay msrp plus the freight and setup charges. Remember, if you find/have a good guzzi dealer, they have to make a profit to stay in business.

i will be in nh next weekend and i am planning to stop at the guzzi dealer there and talk to them about how they can support a guy that lives 3 hours away in vermont.

probably the same way most of us do -- take the bike back to them for the initial check-up and warranty work. The rest of the time, do your own work (or have a local friend/mechanic do it for you) and get your parts/information via phone calls, e-mails and ups.
ok.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #2774
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
possibly not. If the front edge of the seat was an inch or so below the ridge in the black plastic cover that protects the rear of the fuel tank, the seat was in the low position. Have any pictures?? Or call that dealer and ask them.

probably the same way most of us do -- take the bike back to them for the initial check-up and warranty work. The rest of the time, do your own work (or have a local friend/mechanic do it for you) and get your parts/information via phone calls, e-mails and ups.
I didn't take any pictures, I will ask more about seat positions at the NH dealer next week. I really hope it was the higher position but it wouldn't be a showstopper. I wear boots when I ride and I can always get off and push the bike. I REALLY liked the bike and I am pretty sure I will end up with this one. Even my 12 year old daughter that resents my love of motorcycles admitted she liked the bike . I like my two GS bikes but it's time for something else.

I had already emailed a local Ducati dealer, great shop, and they agreed to maintain the bike as long as it doesn't require any Guzzi diagnostics tools.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #2775
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,011
The only maintenance annoyance that I found is that the drain for the transmission oil is very inconveniently placed.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote