Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #2791
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 423
James.....Holy Crap! You are one lucky dude. I'm impressed that both you and the bike made it 250 miles home after that little trip through the woods. Heck, you even have more serious off road tires. Was this a case of just a bit too hot in a turn or is there a story of epic heroism that we can attach to the photos?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #2792
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Repeat after me: "the Stelvio is not a dirt bike".
Wow! Glad that you are OK.

Why did you pull the bike while it was upside down? No room to flip it over?
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #2793
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,994

James!!! WTH man....you know damn well you need to keep the rubber side down!

Very glad to hear you're OK and not on a life flight somewhere.

Now.....details. How the hell.......????

Also, please follow up on the damage. I'm very interested to know how well the big beast crashes....you know, just in case....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #2794
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,431
what i'm most impressed with is the WINDSCREEN! how in the hell did it escape un-harmed after being pulled upside down and it being dragged up the hill? it looks just about perfect in the photos above.....

glad you're ok man....
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #2795
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,536
Quote:

I've never seen anyone ride with that large a support group. Are you Amish? Or Texan?

Glad to read you weren't hurt and were able to ride it home. Ouch. Such a pretty, pretty bike.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #2796
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
^ Wow!
That's about twice the tread an Avon Gripster comes with fresh from the factory.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #2797
Hannda

Phantom 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Was this a case of just a bit too hot in a turn or is there a story of epic heroism that we can attach to the photos?
I think we have a new name for Ian's bike.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #2798
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,729
This all happened a little over a week ago, but I just got the pictures emailed to me today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Now.....details. How the hell.......????
I was going nicely down the jeep trail on a relatively boulder-free line that was on the side with a steep drop-off. I grabbed a little bit too much front brake (ABS was off) and the front wheel tucked and off it went. The bike snagged in the trees so it didn't tumble down the ravine or anything.

I, on the other hand, went tumbling down the slope. Thankfully there weren't many rocks and I was able to catch a tree to stop my slide after a few hairy seconds. The bike's throttle was pinned wide open with the horn blaring (with the bike upside-down) until I was able to clamber up and hit the kill switch.

I was sore the next day, but otherwise unharmed, and no damage was done to my helmet or any other gear. FWIW, I was wearing a Nolan T43E Trilogy helmet, a FirstGear Kilimanjaro Air (mesh) jacket, Cortech mesh gloves, Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 pants, and some old BMW Airflow boots.

Quote:
Also, please follow up on the damage. I'm very interested to know how well the big beast crashes....you know, just in case....
The bike was sitting upside-down for an hour or so while we secured it and figured out how to right it, so some oil leaked out through the air filter. It didn't appear to be leaking any gas. We let the bike sit upright for 15 minutes or so before we tried to start it, and when we did fire it up, it started without any hesitation. The oil level was on the low side, but still acceptable, so none was added (though I did carry some with me just in case there a leak showed up).

The initial impact didn't break anything except bend the windshield and bang up the aluminum TraX bags. While we were winching it out (with 3 big quads ), the left-hand mirror mount (which is part of the master cylinder), left-hand handguard, and left-hand switch cluster were all broken. The clutch lever was unscathed, though I had already installed aftermarket "shorty" levers--I think that if it were the stock lever, it would have been damaged. In addition, the brackets holding the factory auxiliary lights were bent, but the lights were still functional. The handlebars were not bent at all. None of the plastic fairing pieces were cracked or damaged beyond a little scuffing.

The small Pelican topcase stayed securely attached and securely closed through the whole ordeal. Even though the windshield sprung back to mildly resemble its original shape, it is a bit tweaked, and I will be replacing it with one of the Calsci shorty screens.

I'm really impressed with the sturdiness and durability of the bike. I was way over my head coming down that road--had I known what I was getting myself into, I would not have gone that way. I fully realize that I was incredibly fortunate in this incident as it could have been much, much worse (e.g., the bike could have tumbled down the slope and squashed me).
Old 08-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #2799
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
I've never seen anyone ride with that large a support group. Are you Amish? Or Texan?

Glad to read you weren't hurt and were able to ride it home. Ouch. Such a pretty, pretty bike.

I was not traveling with anyone but there were lots of other folks out on the trail that day, so I caused quite a traffic jam but had plenty of help.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #2800
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
This all happened a little over a week ago, but I just got the pictures emailed to me today.

I was going nicely down the jeep trail on a relatively boulder-free line that was on the side with a steep drop-off.......
Wow. Thanks for the blow by blow James.

So....let me see if I have this right. If your rescuers would have secured the bike, flipped her over onto her wheels, and winched her up that way, the extent of your damage from your front flip would have been.....some banged up Trax boxes????

And I don't understand the screaming engine. I thought there was a tilt sensor on these beasts that cut the ignition in cases like this.....

-SM
Old 08-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #2801
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Wow. Thanks for the blow by blow James.

So....let me see if I have this right. If your rescuers would have secured the bike, flipped her over onto her wheels, and winched her up that way, the extent of your damage from your front flip would have been.....some banged up Trax boxes????

And I don't understand the screaming engine. I thought there was a tilt sensor on these beasts that cut the ignition in cases like this.....

-SM
The way it was situated, it was not possible to bring it upright until we had pulled it forward a few feet first. The guy directing the winches did a great job.

If there is a tipover switch, it clearly doesn't work.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #2802
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
If there is a tipover switch, it clearly doesn't work.
Good to know....kinda scary though.

-SM
Old 08-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #2803
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:

I was not traveling with anyone but there were lots of other folks out on the trail that day, so I caused quite a traffic jam but had plenty of help.

James, glad you are OK, bikes can be repaired.
What road were you on?
I'm in the Springs to, so next time you want to go ride alone call me.
I travel alot like you so our schedules might meet someday.
I'm going to go explore the Alpine Loop leaving Wednesday on the 690R by myself.
I'll try to keep it on the road.
Glad your OK.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #2804
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Quote:

The bags are pretty beat up and I have to replace the left-side mirror and handlebar controls and the windshield, but there were no injuries to me and I was able to ride the bike 250+ miles back home without any major issues.
Well,.... at least the biff-plate still in pretty good shape!

Nice to know the engine runs inverted (not),...guess that's why they use 'em as aircraft engines.
http://www.aerotech-poland.com/index.php?go=6
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #2805
tatterhood
Sturdy Girl

Oddometer: 5,009
Quote:

The bags are pretty beat up and I have to replace the left-side mirror and handlebar controls and the windshield, but there were no injuries to me and I was able to ride the bike 250+ miles back home without any major issues.
Glad you're ok!!!

Adventure is a state of mind...
tatterhood is offline   Reply With Quote