Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #2806
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,906
I have a set of oem mirrors (with turn signals in 'em) if you need one, let me know.

I just saw this....glad to see it survived your ruggedness testing with flying colors
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 AM   #2807
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I have a set of oem mirrors (with turn signals in 'em) if you need one, let me know.

I just saw this....glad to see it survived your ruggedness testing with flying colors
Thanks, Blake, but I think I'm going to use this opportunity to do the Euro signals and mirrors upgrade.

That said, the mirror survived relatively unscathed, it was the mount that broke.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:03 AM   #2808
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
If there is a tipover switch, it clearly doesn't work.
The wiring diagram for the bike shows a Fall Sensor (Optional). Your dealer may be able to help you.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #2809
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Thanks, Blake, but I think I'm going to use this opportunity to do the Euro signals and mirrors upgrade.

That said, the mirror survived relatively unscathed, it was the mount that broke.
From now on, keep the perches loose enough that everything spins on impact. Glad your OK. I had a get-off on the Tiger. Nothing what you did of course. Keep the rubber side down.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #2810
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Good call. I just did that on mine and wow, what a difference in both aesthetics and functionality. I can actually see what's behind me now vs. just a big blurry blob.

Todd at MPH has the kit in stock and ready to ship. A little over $100 for everything, shipped to your door. Very good deal IMO. Takes a couple hours to install mainly due to the fiddly fasteners MG used to hold the 2 pieces of the side panel together. You need to take your time if you don't want to ruin the fasteners or the side panel!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #2811
Mr Grumpy
Old Git.

Oddometer: 102
My Buell Super TT got punted recently & is most likely written off, I'm looking to replace it with a Stelvio but the insurance payout won't run to a 8v or a NTX, I'll be looking at an 08/09 model.
Now from what I've read & understand (please correct me if I'm wrong) the 2010 on models major difference is in the mapping. Anything else?
Is it possible to "upgrade" an early one to later spec with a remap?
Anything else I need to be looking out for?

Any pointers & advice gratefully received, Thanks.

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers!
Mr Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #2812
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
I'm sure some of the regulars in this thread can correct me or provide additional details...

08/09 model has the smaller gas tank
08/09 has the more road-oriented wheels
Unsure if ABS was an option in the early models.
The '11 model has the larger tank, road-oriented wheels, ABS - this makes it the perfect bike for me.
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #2813
03x2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:

I grabbed a little bit too much front brake (ABS was off) and the front wheel tucked

That is a trait the Stelvio loves to exhibit. The front end tuck under braking. Must be all that weight pushing it along.
I've had a few close calls with that out in the some desert single track. Thanks for the reminder.
03x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #2814
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,556
I'm in!

I put my deposit down on a Burnt Orange Stelvio, I hope to pick it up in the next couple of days...I'll post some pics.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #2815
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog View Post
I'm sure some of the regulars in this thread can correct me or provide additional details...

08/09 model has the smaller gas tank
08/09 has the more road-oriented wheels
Unsure if ABS was an option in the early models.
The '11 model has the larger tank, road-oriented wheels, ABS - this makes it the perfect bike for me.
The Stelvio NTX, new for 2012....and the only Stelvio the U.S. market gets - is the one that gets the 8.45 gallon tank.
(so does the 2012 non-NTX, but we don't get it in the U.S.)

The NTX has the Alpina tubeless spoked wheel system (not the road oriented cast wheels), and the same ABS / TCS that Aprilia uses on it's sportbikes.
The NTX also comes with the Hella driving lights, crash bars, sump skid plate, etc. Heated grips are optional, but the switch and LCD display are ready for them.

Other markets get the 2012 with cast wheels in non-NTX format... and without the Hellas, crash bars, skid plate, etc.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #2816
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
I put my deposit down on a Burnt Orange Stelvio, I hope to pick it up in the next couple of days...I'll post some pics.
WOOT!

Congrats Dirty!

-SM
Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #2817
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy View Post
My Buell Super TT got punted recently & is most likely written off, I'm looking to replace it with a Stelvio but the insurance payout won't run to a 8v or a NTX, I'll be looking at an 08/09 model.
Now from what I've read & understand (please correct me if I'm wrong) the 2010 on models major difference is in the mapping. Anything else?

The 08/09 has pretty much the same wheels all through until the newest/current NTX, that is a 180 rear tire. I changed my rear wheel to the NTX rim. All the Stelvio's are 8v's.

The motor in the 09 at least is the A5 motor which is a bit peakier. The 2010 changed mapping and I think cam profiles for more mid-range. I personally like the characteristics of the A5 motor. Goes like a scalded cat.

The big tank is also only on the newest NTX here in the states.

If looking for an 09, make sure the cam/follower recall has been done (preferably before being sold). Also, if you get an 09, make sure they have map 52 installed.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #2818
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy View Post

The latest Stelvio is actually quite a bit different from the previous model. Not only does it have a different map, but it has a different cam profile to address a discernible "dip" in the torque curve around 3500rpm that the '09 exhibited. Add in some of the other bits others have mentioned (rear wheel size being a big one....5.5" rear wheel on the '09, 4.25" rear on the '12, 50mm forks on the '09, 45mm fully adjustable cartridge forks on the '12, 4.75 gallon fuel capacity on the '09, 8.5 gallons on the '12, and so on) and they are different beasts. As a result, the '09's are not "upgradeable" to the newer model via a remap.

As far as what to look out for on the '09, make sure the SB (Service Bulletin) re. the cam has been done and the latest EFI map is installed. I'll let owners of the '09 chime in with anything else since they will have a lot more detailed knowledge than I do.

-SM
Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #2819
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
WOOT!

Congrats Dirty!

-SM
Thanks, I can't wait!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #2820
MLCavassa
What the..??!!

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
(in the requisite Australian accent...) Shhhhh... And here we see the majestic Stelvio asleep among the aspens on a tranquil mountain slope. Just look at her! Isn't she just gorgeous! But those Stelvios can be ferocious when they're awake, mind you. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't want to be here when she wakes up!