Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #2821
Sock Monkey
Banned

Oddometer: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLCavassa View Post
(in the requisite Australian accent...) Shhhhh... And here we see the majestic Stelvio asleep among the aspens on a tranquil mountain slope. Just look at her! Isn't she just gorgeous! But those Stelvios can be ferocious when they're awake, mind you. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't want to be here when she wakes up!

Excellent!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #2822
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Other markets get the 2012 with cast wheels in non-NTX format... and without the Hellas, crash bars, skid plate, etc.
I wouldn't be surprised, with the excellent sales the NTX is apparently enjoying in the U.S., if MG would bring that model here, too.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #2823
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
I wouldn't be surprised, with the excellent sales the NTX is apparently enjoying in the U.S., if MG would bring that model here, too.
It makes complete sense.

I'm sure they compared R1200GS sales to R1200GS Adventure sales and figured they'd go bells and whistles first.

If it was a popular bike at what's already an attractive price.....offer a more bare bones one at a price that will tug at 800XC and F800GS buyers.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #2824
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,844
Quote:
It makes complete sense.

I'm sure they compared R1200GS sales to R1200GS Adventure sales and figured they'd go bells and whistles first.

If it was a popular bike at what's already an attractive price.....offer a more bare bones one at a price that will tug at 800XC and F800GS buyers.
Exactly what I was thinking.

My 12GS has spoke wheels, yet I only ride on pavement. I despise them when I was the bike; it takes longer to do both wheels than it does to do the rest of the bike.

I'd be interested in a more street oriented model, with cast wheels, but with the large tank and without the TRAX cases. I'd want to add Jesse's, I suppose.

Not that MG needs to act on my opinion. I said I want it, not that I'm ready to put down a deposit.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #2825
MLCavassa
What the..??!!

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.

My 12GS has spoke wheels, yet I only ride on pavement. I despise them when I was the bike; it takes longer to do both wheels than it does to do the rest of the bike.

I'd be interested in a more street oriented model, with cast wheels, but with the large tank and without the TRAX cases. I'd want to add Jesse's, I suppose.

Not that MG needs to act on my opinion. I said I want it, not that I'm ready to put down a deposit.
Actually, I'd put down a deposit. Like right-the-f***-now. I saw a picture recently of the (currently euro-only) 2012 Stelvio 1200 8V with the cast wheels and the Norge-style hard bags. Big, big, big want.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #2826
Mr Grumpy
Old Git.

Oddometer: 102
Thanks for the info chaps,

I'm not particularly bothered about the big tank, as my arse can't ride that far! Also I live in France & there's no shortage of petrol stations. I'm not another Ewan or Charlie wannabe either i'll stick to the civilised world ta very much.

What's the deal with the rim sizes though? I'll be doing mostly road riding (though some of the roads round here push that description to the limit) so I'd have thought that the wider rear rim would give better tyre choice, or am I missing something?

I'll bear in mind the heads up on the cam recall, if it's not been done is there a time limit or can I just take it to a dealer & say do it? and if they do the job can I get the later cams?

This will be the first big trailie for me, & first Guzzi too, so I want to get an idea of what I'm getting into before I leap.

I did test ride a '10 model R1200GS which was a great bike but somehow soulless.

I have a "thing" about nasty, noisy, messy, chains. so it's either belt or shaft for me.

Thanks.

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers!
Mr Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #2827
jasonc32amg
Hello Gubner

Oddometer: 135
This bike is inspiring some serious lust.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #2828
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy View Post
What's the deal with the rim sizes though? I'll be doing mostly road riding (though some of the roads round here push that description to the limit) so I'd have thought that the wider rear rim would give better tyre choice, or am I missing something?
A 180/55-17 gives a huge tire choice....for purely pavement riding. The NTX is being marketed as an adventure bike, and has some design choices that reflect that.

The 150/70-17 gives a taller, more cushioning sidewall for doing any kind of off pavement riding. The 150 has some other positive traits vs. a wider tire, including fitment of TKC's and Heidenau K60 Scouts.

You're the potential 'mostly street' buyer the cast wheeled version will appeal to, even if most NTX's don't spend much time off pavement.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #2829
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Quote:
The Stelvio NTX, new for 2012....and the only Stelvio the U.S. market gets - is the one that gets the 8.45 gallon tank.
(so does the 2012 non-NTX, but we don't get it in the U.S.)

The NTX has the Alpina tubeless spoked wheel system (not the road oriented cast wheels), and the same ABS / TCS that Aprilia uses on it's sportbikes.
The NTX also comes with the Hella driving lights, crash bars, sump skid plate, etc. Heated grips are optional, but the switch and LCD display are ready for them.

Other markets get the 2012 with cast wheels in non-NTX format... and without the Hellas, crash bars, skid plate, etc.
The 2011 model has the larger tank, the street-oriented wheels, and the 8v motor.

From MotorcycleUSA.com: 2009 Stelvio

Engine: Transverse 90-degree V-Twin
Displacement: 1151cc
Bore x Stroke: 95 x 81.2mm
Max Horsepower: 90.5 hp @ 7000rpm
Max Torque: 69 lb-ft @ 6700rpm
Fueling: Weber Marelli fuel injection
Transmission: Six-gear
Final Drive: Shaft
Front Suspension: 50mm Marzocchi inverted fork, fully-adjustable, 6.7-inch travel
Rear Suspension: Single Boge shock, adjustable preload and rebound, 6.1-inch travel
Front Brake: Brembo dual 320mm disc with radial-mount 4-piston calipers
Rear Brake: Brembo single 282mm disc with 2-piston calipers
Front Wheel: 2.5 x 19-inch
Rear Wheel: 5.5 x 17-inch
Tires: Pirelli Scorpion
Wheelbase: 60.4 in.
Seat Height: Adjustable 32.3-33.1 in.
Curb Weight: Claimed 553 lbs (472 dry)
Fuel Capacity: 4.75 gallon
MPG: 35.5
Available Colors: Corsa Red, Guzzi Black
MSRP: $14,990

From AshOnBikes: 2011 Stelvio
Engine: 90-degree V-twin, air cooled, sohc 8v, 1151cc
Power: 104bhp (105PS, 77kW) @ 7,250rpm
Torque: 83lb.ft (11.5kgm, 113Nm) @ 9,500rpm
Economy: 38mpg (14.1km/l, 7.1l/100km, 34mpg US)
Tank/Range: 7.04 gallons (32 litres, 8.4 US gallons)/ 290 miles (470km)
Transmission: Six gears, dry single-plate clutch, shaft final drive
Chassis: steel tube, single-sided aluminium swingarm/shaft
Seat height: 32.3-33.1in (820-840mm)
Wheelbase: 57.6in (1464mm)
Rake/trail: 27°/ 4.92in (125mm)
Weight: 567lb (257kg) (kerb) (NTX: 600lb)
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #2830
Sock Monkey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr grumpy View Post
thanks for the info chaps,

i'm not particularly bothered about the big tank, as my arse can't ride that far! Also i live in france & there's no shortage of petrol stations. I'm not another ewan or charlie wannabe either i'll stick to the civilised world ta very much.

What's the deal with the rim sizes though? I'll be doing mostly road riding (though some of the roads round here push that description to the limit) so i'd have thought that the wider rear rim would give better tyre choice, or am i missing something?

go virtual "tire shopping" and look for the kinds of tires that you will likely be putting on the bike. Street only? You have tons of choices in a 180. Dirt? Zero. Nada. Zilch. In theory, conti is making their tkc 80 in a 180, but so far it's vaporware. It was supposed to show up in june, then july, then aug. Still nada. Again, if you're street only, it doesn't matter a bit, other than the 150's will turn in a bit quicker.

i'll bear in mind the heads up on the cam recall, if it's not been done is there a time limit or can i just take it to a dealer & say do it? And if they do the job can i get the later cams?

take it in and say do it. And no on the later cam. Timing, etc would all have to change, and i don't even know if that's possible without a complete swap of ecus.....

this will be the first big trailie for me, & first guzzi too, so i want to get an idea of what i'm getting into before i leap.

I did test ride a '10 model r1200gs which was a great bike but somehow soulless.

I have a "thing" about nasty, noisy, messy, chains. So it's either belt or shaft for me.

hopefully you have an equal "thing" for big, nasty, noisy motorcycles, because the stelvio isn't your "gentlemanly gs". It rumbles, snorts, coughs, spits, and farts...and is glorious!

thanks.
-sm
Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #2831
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Kevin Ash (Ashonbikes) writes from the UK.

The U.S. market gets the NTX for the first time in 2012...
So in OUR market, the 2012 is the first NTX and the first 8.45 gallon tank.

Your turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog View Post
The 2011 model has the larger tank, the street-oriented wheels, and the 8v motor.

From MotorcycleUSA.com: 2009 Stelvio

Engine: Transverse 90-degree V-Twin
Displacement: 1151cc
Bore x Stroke: 95 x 81.2mm
Max Horsepower: 90.5 hp @ 7000rpm
Max Torque: 69 lb-ft @ 6700rpm
Fueling: Weber Marelli fuel injection
Transmission: Six-gear
Final Drive: Shaft
Front Suspension: 50mm Marzocchi inverted fork, fully-adjustable, 6.7-inch travel
Rear Suspension: Single Boge shock, adjustable preload and rebound, 6.1-inch travel
Front Brake: Brembo dual 320mm disc with radial-mount 4-piston calipers
Rear Brake: Brembo single 282mm disc with 2-piston calipers
Front Wheel: 2.5 x 19-inch
Rear Wheel: 5.5 x 17-inch
Tires: Pirelli Scorpion
Wheelbase: 60.4 in.
Seat Height: Adjustable 32.3-33.1 in.
Curb Weight: Claimed 553 lbs (472 dry)
Fuel Capacity: 4.75 gallon
MPG: 35.5
Available Colors: Corsa Red, Guzzi Black
MSRP: $14,990

From AshOnBikes: 2011 Stelvio
Engine: 90-degree V-twin, air cooled, sohc 8v, 1151cc
Power: 104bhp (105PS, 77kW) @ 7,250rpm
Torque: 83lb.ft (11.5kgm, 113Nm) @ 9,500rpm
Economy: 38mpg (14.1km/l, 7.1l/100km, 34mpg US)
Tank/Range: 7.04 gallons (32 litres, 8.4 US gallons)/ 290 miles (470km)
Transmission: Six gears, dry single-plate clutch, shaft final drive
Chassis: steel tube, single-sided aluminium swingarm/shaft
Seat height: 32.3-33.1in (820-840mm)
Wheelbase: 57.6in (1464mm)
Rake/trail: 27°/ 4.92in (125mm)
Weight: 567lb (257kg) (kerb) (NTX: 600lb)
Old 08-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #2832
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Quote:
Kevin Ash (Ashonbikes) writes from the UK.

The U.S. market gets the NTX for the first time in 2012...
So in OUR market, the 2012 is the first NTX and the first 8.45 gallon tank.

Your turn.

Features

• Year: 2011
  • Make: MOTO GUZZI
  • Model: Stelvio 1200 ABS
  • Type: Sport Touring
  • Stock Number: M111845
  • Color: White
  • Stock Number: M111845

From CycleTrader.

The ultimate irony is, of course, there was a 2011 Stelvio for sale just outside of Sacramento, where SM likes to shop. Sold, of course. :headslap:
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
Old 08-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #2833
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

yes....those are 2011 Stelvios, but they are not 2011 Stelvio NTX....as it was not available in the U.S. market yet.
Those are standard Stelvios.

Look at the pictures and see a white color option....we get ONLY the NTX in matte black and burnt orange. The white 2011's in the ads are standard Stelvios with 4.7 gallon tank. You can see the glove box on the better pictures.

If you want to keep going, you're going to have to do better than that....I know WTF I'm talking about.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #2834
Sock Monkey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog View Post
The ultimate irony is, of course, there was a 2011 Stelvio for sale just outside of Sacramento, where SM likes to shop. Sold, of course. :headslap:
The good news is when I was there last week they were getting ready to PDI a nice new Lava Black NTX, so they may have one for sale soon....if it's not pre-sold.

-SM
Old 08-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #2835
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Quote:
yes....those are 2011 Stelvios, but they are not 2011 Stelvio NTX....as it was not available in the U.S. market yet.
Those are standard Stelvios.

Look at the pictures and see a white color option....we get ONLY the NTX in matte black and burnt orange. The white 2011's in the ads are standard Stelvios with 4.7 gallon tank. You can see the glove box on the better pictures.

If you want to keep going, you're going to have to do better than that....I know WTF I'm talking about.
So the 2011 Euro Stelvio get the larger tank and 8v powerplant, but the 2011 US Stelvio gets the smaller tank and 4v motor?!?

uber-lame.

I guess I'll wait for a "normal" Stelvio to come Stateside, or get a TEx.