Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #3091
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajford01 View Post
Hi guys, just traded up to a Stelvio 8V from a WeeStrom after reading all the good reports on the bike. Still getting used to the extra grunt! Out of curiosity what does everyone have their suspension set to? Never had a bike with so many adjustments! WeeStrom was fine on standard settings.
Congrats! I couldn't tell you what mine is set to. All I know is that it was too soft as delivered, so I just kept tweaking it on each ride until I got it where I liked it. Easy to do...just pack a screwdriver and adjust away!

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #3092
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
By the way, I had a nice ride today. Rode from Colorado Springs up to Denver on 83. Stopped by Erico for a bit and drooled over some of their iron. Also ordered new mirrors and euro turn signals...apparently the Norge signal lenses are identical...we snagged the turn signals from a Norge they had in the showroom, and they popped right into the blank spot on the Stelvio. Rode down to Fay Myers just to drool on a few of their bikes. Had a couple of great conversations with people there about the Stelvio...someone on a Wee-Strom, and another guy looking to get a new bike.

I did get a little wet at the tail end of the ride though, but it's only because I stopped at a BMW shop to look at an F650 GS and F700GS, and it started raining while I was there. Damn BMWs....I'd have stayed dry if it weren't for them!

Don't ask me what my fuel economy was...I honestly don't care. I track fuel economy on my TDI, but with the Stelvio...I just listen to the music.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #3093
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,824
[QUOTE=soldierguy;19709617Don't ask me what my fuel economy was...I honestly don't care. I track fuel economy on my TDI, but with the Stelvio...I just listen to the music.[/QUOTE]

Somebody else who gets it
Old 09-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #3094
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Indeed. The only reason I approached this at all is the blogs that say 35 mpg. Just didn't seem right to leave that out there causing confusion and keeping good folk from making the best decision ..... buy one.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #3095
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
Right at 9k miles with few minor issues - the OEM aux lights are crap and have been replaced with Twisted throttle LED's.
The oem lights are Hellas, and far from crap. They produce great fill light.
I've considered an additional set of aux lights for distance, for desert night riding....but the H4's on high beam are really pretty decent.

A good set of LED's would provide good light too....but I think "oem aux lights are crap" is a bit harsh. They're quite good for a 55w H3.

Heated grips just installed as the temps are dropping, and at 10,300 miles a new K60 Scout out back.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #3096
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,704
Black 2013 came in at the local shop.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #3097
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I've considered an additional set of aux lights for distance, for desert night riding....but the H4's on high beam are really pretty decent.

A good set of LED's would provide good light too....but I think "oem aux lights are crap" is a bit harsh. They're quite good for a 55w H3.

Heated grips just installed as the temps are dropping, and at 10,300 miles a new K60 Scout out back.
I agree. The Hella DE's have been around for a long time and otherwise work well from all I've read in the past. I think the problem is more likely the vibration in the engine guards. Maybe the answer could be somehow isolating the vibes with some sort of rubber grommets.

On another note, I have an update on my brief ownership:

The excessive heat from the left jug is all but gone now that the bike has 1200 miles on it.

The seat is the most comfortable I've ever had, and I've owned a lot of big bikes!

I earlier posted my problem with the placement of the "MODE" switch being so close to the turn signal switch. As someone else posted, it eventually became a non-issue.

Regarding the "MODE" switch, the computer functions are not something I think I'll use very much. I'd much rather have self-cancelling turn signals and a gear indicator.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #3098
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Black 2013 came in at the local shop.
Any differences?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #3099
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

OK they are fine for 1980's tech. I believe the latest tech bulletin has some mounting changes in it as some others have also had the units vibrate to death

Only nagging issue really is that the battery terminals sulfate up quickly and need regular cleaning - probably ditch the OEM and drop in an Odyssey soon
Old 09-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #3100
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
OK they are fine for 1980's tech. I believe the latest tech bulletin has some mounting changes in it as some others have also had the units vibrate to death

Only nagging issue really is that the battery terminals sulfate up quickly and need regular cleaning - probably ditch the OEM and drop in an Odyssey soon
The problem with the aux Hellas is wire insulation wearing away to the mount. Check in at GuzziTech for some straight talk. This is a fabulous resource for any Moto Guzzi owner or potential owner.

http://forum.guzzitech.com/forum/190.html

For a thread about the aux lights see the third and fourth post here: http://forum.guzzitech.com/forum/190/9164.html
Old 09-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #3101
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
The problem with the aux Hellas is wire insulation wearing away to the mount. Check in at GuzziTech for some straight talk. This is a fabulous resource for any Moto Guzzi owner or potential owner.

http://forum.guzzitech.com/forum/190.html

For a thread about the aux lights see the third and fourth post here: http://forum.guzzitech.com/forum/190/9164.html

I'm well aware of the issues - that's why they are no longer on my Stelvio as they failed after 3 weeks and didn't want OEM replacements

I post on Guzzi tech with the same username and detailed my issues there

Again very minor compared to the quality of the oversall package of the bike
Old 09-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #3102
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 745
FWIW, I had trouble with the aux lights blowing bulbs on my 09 too. I chalked it up to vibration. They didn't give off great light anyway.

I changed mine to high intensity LED Clearwaters. Much less voltage draw and 10 times brighter.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #3103
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
FWIW, I had trouble with the aux lights blowing bulbs on my 09 too. I chalked it up to vibration. They didn't give off great light anyway.

I changed mine to high intensity LED Clearwaters. Much less voltage draw and 10 times brighter.
I keep hoping to see someone make an accessory lens set for the Clearwaters that'll make them street worthy. Maybe a diffuser fronted by a fresnel would do it… as it'd have to be a custom 3-in-1 fresnel otherwise.
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #3104
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,187
Quote:
That's not normal and shouldn't be happening.....and it's not because the oem battery is lacking. I've read one other person mention this over on Guzzi Tech. I'd have the shop look at it and see what's up.

My battery terminals don't have a trace of any sulfation or green fuzz whatsoever. Replacing your Yuasa with an Odyssey isn't going to solve the cause, it's going to save you a bit of weight.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:14 AM   #3105
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,582
Power Outlets

What's up with the power outlet labeling? On the outlet itself it says 180w max but in the Owners manual it states 50w max if using one or 25w each if using both. I tried plugging in my Gerbings jacket liner and took out the Acc fuse. Of course that's when I looked in the manual

I finally got around to installing my Oxford heated grips..I decided to use the Oxford controller instead of hunting for the factory connectors and splicing and soldering. Using the switch bracket that came with the package I mounted it on the clutch perch and it looks like it belongs there! Someday when I have to remove the gas tank I may splice it into the OEM connectors but right now I am happy with how they look. Wow do they heat up nice!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is online now   Reply With Quote