Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #3136
Cloudhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamTheBiker View Post
Hello all!
I have fallen in love with the Stelvio and am considering to invest.
But with the standard NTX panniers she really is too wide (fat assed) for me.
At my home, I drive in through a 100 cm port, and besides I do a lot of lane splitting.
So, I really need something narrower.
Can anybody recommend an alternative set of panniers which
would make my life with the Stelvio possible.
Pictures would be very welcome.
Thank you very much,
-DTB
Lane splitting (or "filtering") is something we do here as well. Plus i despise top boxes and am not too fond of tank bags either :)
Checked the plastic ones out at a dealer. The standard panniers aren't as wide as the handle bars, for me personally that'd qualify them for everyday use for me, as i could filter throug traffic without issues.

Hope that helps.
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #3137
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262

Nice ride through Big Hole area, circled around through Idaho to West Yellowstone and back to Bozeman. My wife and I wanted another crack at it as we had become involved with a nasty thunderstorm on our Ennis loop. Ride was beautiful. We ran between 55-75 mph, as you can only do 55 mph through the Yellowstone park arm, with rolling mountain passes and nice deep turns. Our average MPG.......57.3! I am not making this up and must assume those of you getting much less must have a lot of cargo on board. As is I am 225lbs, my wife hits 110. Our saddle bags were filled as we were not about to be taken unaware by the rain again.

Also I made a discovery yesterday that may sound silly but was profound to me. I was just riding some of our little paved outer roads yesterday that have some nice curves and have discovered this bike comes in at least two modes. There is the throaty 0-4,000RPM burble mode and the consistentyly 5K and above mode. Both are smooth as glass, but you can go around in a much lower gear with the RPM much higher and pure glass which of course allows a roadbike ability in the twistys. Very smooth, very fast. I call it the Ferrari mode. God I love this bike.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #3138
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
Also I made a discovery yesterday that may sound silly but was profound to me. I was just riding some of our little paved outer roads yesterday that have some nice curves and have discovered this bike comes in at least two modes. There is the throaty 0-4,000RPM burble mode and the consistentyly 5K and above mode. Both are smooth as glass, but you can go around in a much lower gear with the RPM much higher and pure glass which of course allows a roadbike ability in the twistys. Very smooth, very fast. I call it the Ferrari mode. God I love this bike.
That's the beauty of the Guzzi 90 degree V-twin. It's naturally balanced so even at redline it's still very smooth. My BMW R12GS was definitely NOT smooth. Sure, at 4500 rpm it was wonderful. At 5500 rpm the vibes were getting gnarly, and by 7,000 rpm I couldn't see because my eyes were literally vibrating in my head. Yeesh.....

Of course, with the Guzzi spinning at 5k rpm +, it also has the advantage of taking off like a scalded cat. It's deceptively quick in those upper revs.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #3139
rockstert
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I have a 1200 Stelvio and it is the most fun I have ever had on a street bike. Rode it to Alaska from Ga. and it was a blast!
rockstert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #3140
Enduro Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoG5 View Post
Noob here, still waiting on my new NTX to arrive from Texas. Seems Guzzi just released a service bulletin that the dealer wanted to get done on the bike before shipping it to me. Good idea as he and I are almost nine hundred miles apart. And Guzzi in the typical Italian fashion sent out the bulletin with out having the needed parts on hand so a bit of a wait is now in progress. I am a long time Guzzi owner so none of this either suprises or causes undue pain. I have been sent the CD and owner's manual. So far I am the proud owner of a $16K CD and manual.
In the mean time I have been getting my Stelvio fix here one this most excellent and informative list. Lots of interesting information and commentary to keep me pumped until the bike arrives.
What exactly is the service bulletin that was released? I asked a Guzzi dealer and they could not find one?
12 Husaberg TE250
02 Moto Guzzi Tenn
Enduro Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #3141
Cloudhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
From what i take from the German Stelvio owners forum, the bulletin is about replacing the mainstand and a plastic cover for something (no idea what). Owners of bikes from all years of manufacturer have reported getting that call.

Full disclosure, i'm not an owner myself (yet) so my information might not be accurate.
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #3142
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
... the bulletin is about replacing the mainstand and a plastic cover for something (no idea what).....
I contacted my dealer to see if there are things to be replaced that I should be concerned about (I'm planning on at least one more camping trip this riding season). His response was "don't be concerned, have fun on your trip, we'll gather the parts and will make the change sometime this winter".
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #3143
MotoG5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Stelvio Tech Bulletin No. 007

I have read the bulletin. It is several items none of which are critical in nature and can be done pretty much when its convenient to do so. It calls for some wiring routing checks and corrections if needed. Adds some weather and friction protective covers to the fuse box wiring harness, main cable harness and electrical control unit. Replaces the center stand with a modified part and upgrades the mouning of the running lights to keep them from failing under vibration. Pretty much just some adjustments to imporve the long term reliability. I plan on doing mine this winter. The dealer was going to hang on to the bike until the service could be done before shipping it to me. However they found out that the parts for the upgrades were going to take more time than I was willing to wait for my new bike. So, after reading the bulletin I decided to go ahead and get my bike here and do the upgrades when the parts were available.
Been riding it now for the last few days. All I can say is that it was more than worth the scrafice of my V11 Sport to get one of these machines. I will try to get some pics up soon.

MotoG5 screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 04:56 AM Reason: Added infromation.
MotoG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #3144
silvergoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thinner rear bags

Cloudhopper, look into the pelican style cases. The Pelican site has many different sizes and colors and with mounts from Caribou or for that matter just order the cases from Caribour ( same case ). The caribou cases can be ordered with the mounts attached so mounting will be a snap. Should help to narrow the ass end a bit.

Good Luck
2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
silvergoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #3145
cultusrider
Know What Matters

Oddometer: 4
Summer Of Love

One of the wettest and most depressing early summers on memory has been followed by the driest 3 months on record (last 104 years) here on the west coast of BC. The Stelvio now has 1400 kms on the clock - at the first service I had the euro turn signals and mirrors installed, hard wired the mount for my Garmin 665, and added the OEM heated grips. The bike is running even better thanks to some tuning by the local tech and just rips above 5000 rpm in any gear

Yesterday I put on a quick 400 kms (250 miles) just across the line in WA including blasting up to Mt. Baker where it is truly spectacular at this time of the year. The attached photo was taken on my Blackberry Bold (I need the keyboard!).

[IMG] Mt. Baker Ride Oct 6, 2012 by cultusrider2, on Flickr[/IMG]

Saludos!
cultusrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #3146
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by cultusrider View Post
Yesterday I put on a quick 400 kms (250 miles) just across the line in WA including blasting up to Mt. Baker where it is truly spectacular at this time of the year. The attached photo was taken on my Blackberry Bold (I need the keyboard!).
That's an absolutely spectacular picture...
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #3147
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergoose View Post
...with mounts from Caribou or for that matter just order the cases from Caribour ( same case ). The caribou cases can be ordered with the mounts attached so mounting will be a snap. Should help to narrow the ass end a bit.

Good Luck
I have the Caribou set up on Givi racks, and the non-pipe side case can't use the "quick release" attachment due to not clearing the passenger grab rail. I mounted my non pipe side bag directly to the rack w/ some stainless hardware and am happy. Pipe side bags CAN use the quick attach stuff.

Not as easy on/easy off, but still not too big of a bugger. I have seen the Caribou cases on HB racks and this is NOT a problem on them as they can use both Caribou's quick release stuff.

Givi racks and 36L cases make the bike ~38 inches wide.
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #3148
cultusrider
Know What Matters

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
That's an absolutely spectacular picture...
Thanks Roman, it sounds like we may get another week of this... deep fried a turkey for Thanksgiving for the first time yesterday, the family loved it! It was 23 degrees C here and looking like the same today. Better get the Stelvio out the garage again... hope you are getting some good weather on the right coast.

cultusrider screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 11:28 AM Reason: grammar
cultusrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #3149
espi
scheming adventurer

Oddometer: 516
after market exhaust MPG

Hello Gents,

Just curious what the MPG are WITH an aftermarket pipe.
I know mine dropped significantly on my 990ADV.

Thanks,
Espi
espi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #3150
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by espi View Post
Hello Gents,

Just curious what the MPG are WITH an aftermarket pipe.
I know mine dropped significantly on my 990ADV.

Thanks,
Espi
I just installed the Fat Duc O2 Manipulators and a Mistral cabon fiber can. Today when I was out the avg fuel miles on my display said 33mpg

I think I need to check this out further though, there are other Stelvio owners here getting much better mileage.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote