Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #3271
num1husker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
don't forget the push nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMan View Post
Can you tell me what the cost was for the Euro turn signal kit ?
Did you get it from MPH ?
Thanks in advance
It would have been much quicker and a little less frustrating if I would have known about the push nuts. I sent MPH in Houston an E-mail informing them that they might want to consider having the push nuts included on the kit as they really are a one and out use fastener. If they have not included them on the kit it's probably not a bad idea to order them up. 2012 stelvio

num1husker screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 05:52 PM
num1husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #3272
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1husker View Post
It would have been much quicker and a little less frustrating if I would have known about the push nuts. I sent MPH in Houston an E-mail informing them that they might want to consider having the push nuts included on the kit as they really are a one and out use fastener. If they have not included them on the kit it's probably not a bad idea to order them up. 2012 stelvio

McMaster has the push nuts, about $7/100. I don't know the size needed. I'm assuming it's an unthreaded shaft. If someone bought them we could have a supply for everyone who needs them. I'd be happy to buy them if I knew the size and send out a dozen to whoever needs them.

Rick

http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-nuts/=jxsmpm
Demar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #3273
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post

Hey, are those the stock handlebars?

Those look like they'd be a great option for let's say a GSA....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #3274
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1husker View Post
I ordered my "kit" from RPM Cycle in TX. They said they don't have a "kit" but as the parts are standard on the European version they are available so they ordered the parts directly from Guzzi. They were very helpful. Don't know when the parts will get to me but they'll show up eventually.

Rick

http://www.rpmcycletx.com/default.asp
Old 10-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #3275
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I went to Colorado College there...fabulous experience that changed my life and introduced me to my wife. I miss it from time to time, but actually Bozeman reminds me a lot of it back when.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #3276
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demar39 View Post
McMaster has the push nuts, about $7/100. I don't know the size needed. I'm assuming it's an unthreaded shaft. If someone bought them we could have a supply for everyone who needs them. I'd be happy to buy them if I knew the size and send out a dozen to whoever needs them.

Rick

http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-nuts/=jxsmpm
The studs are 5mm. The OEM push nuts are stainless (style C) but McMaster does not list stainless for 5mm. 3/16" in stainless might be close enough, I think 1/4" will be too large. I have ordered 100 M5s and will test them out.

Peter Y.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #3277
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
I kind of like downtown Colorado Springs. I usually work out of Epicentral Coworking just a few blocks down by Rasta Pasta.
I like the downtown area as well. Fun, a little quirky, but good for a night out. I'd love to live within walking distance of downtown, but at the moment I'm stuck in suburbia...

And back on topic...rode the Stelvio to work yesterday. Being able to actually identify cars in my new mirrors was GREAT!

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #3278
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Hey, are those the stock handlebars?

Those look like they'd be a great option for let's say a GSA....
Yes, stock bars on Rox Risers. The bars are 1-1/8" at the clamps and the standard 7/8" at the controls. But why not just buy a pair of dirt bike bars from ProTaper or the like? They're probably a lot cheaper too.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #3279
phoenixdoglover
Where to next?

Oddometer: 111
Stelvio On Dirt

Finally took my Stelvio on dirt, after covering 400 km of paved roads in the past month or so. I decided to take an early evening ride, and gravitated to a place where I could decide to take dirt or turn back. I stopped and contemplated for a few minutes. The air was cooling off. A full moon was rising over the craggy hills nearby. I had 25 km of dirt ahead of me that I had been on before, twice, on my KLR650. Traffic was very light; maybe a car every 2 minutes. So I went for it!

Flat dirt road down a wadi (a dry wash). A little loose sand and small rocks. Plenty of washboard. I was a bit nervous at first. Then after a while I decided the Stelvio was simply rock solid and not likely to have a front wheel washout. So I just cruised in 2nd gear at 3,000 rpm. 25 km. No glitches of any kind. Hey, not bad for a big pig, eh?

Got back on pavement and had a little fun riding home.
phoenixdoglover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #3280
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
The studs are 5mm. The OEM push nuts are stainless (style C) but McMaster does not list stainless for 5mm. 3/16" in stainless might be close enough, I think 1/4" will be too large. I have ordered 100 M5s and will test them out.

Peter Y.
Thanks Peter,
I might put a dab of silicone sealer around the non-stainless McMaster push nut after they are installed on the side cover plastic studs.

Rick
Old 10-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #3281
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixdoglover View Post
Flat dirt road down a wadi (a dry wash). A little loose sand and small rocks. Plenty of washboard. I was a bit nervous at first. Then after a while I decided the Stelvio was simply rock solid and not likely to have a front wheel washout. So I just cruised in 2nd gear at 3,000 rpm. 25 km. No glitches of any kind. Hey, not bad for a big pig, eh?
I have a blast flying down dirt roads on the Stelvio. I think I might have been doing 70 or 80 (mph!) for a while on Sunday.

I've learned that if you just keep the throttle wide open, even the sandy stuff isn't so bad. Plus, it's softer when you faceplant.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #3282
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
I have a blast flying down dirt roads on the Stelvio. I think I might have been doing 70 or 80 (mph!) for a while on Sunday.

I've learned that if you just keep the throttle wide open, even the sandy stuff isn't so bad. Plus, it's softer when you faceplant.
Another good thing about sand... ya don't need a kickstand!
Whack the throttle and she will stand up on her own.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #3283
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
Another good thing about sand... ya don't need a kickstand!
Whack the throttle and she will stand up on her own.

So....how many people did it take to dig the tank out of there?

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #3284
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

So....how many people did it take to dig the tank out of there?

-SM
I am running E07's so I just let it tractor itself out. No problem. I was surprised at how well it did on the sand. No real drama once I got it rolling at a decent speed.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #3285
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demar39 View Post
I ordered my "kit" from RPM Cycle in TX. They said they don't have a "kit" but as the parts are standard on the European version they are available so they ordered the parts directly from Guzzi. They were very helpful. Don't know when the parts will get to me but they'll show up eventually.
Rick
http://www.rpmcycletx.com/default.asp
What's just a little bizarre is that in Australia, folks are going the other way - ditching the vulnerable fairing-mounted indicators in favour of the higher, more visible mirror-mounted indicators.
Our dumb Australian Design Rules insisted on the lower ones.
Probably the safest would be to retain both.