Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #3346
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Leafman weighed his standard GS recently (a 2007 1200GS) in totally stock condition, maybe 1 gallon short of a full tank. That weighed 545 lbs. Now if we can get someone with a standard Stelvio to weigh it we can put this to rest. FWIW, the NTX came in at 616 lbs with 1/2 tank and about 650 with a full tank. That's about 60 lbs difference between the basic GS and the NTX with about the same amount of fuel. I'm guessing that the basic Stelvio will be within 20 lbs of the basic GS. If that's correct, the difference is insignificant.
the comparison made above was vs. the current NTX.....yes, of course, we can do this all day long to try and "match up" the bikes to get the results one wants, but as for the current GS and a NTX, the GS is much lighter which is the point that i was trying to make.

the basic (non-NTX type) Stelvio and a GS will be closer in weight as you say, but even then the Stelvio will be the heavier of the two.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #3347
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,537
I installed the OEM heated grips this afternoon. By far the most difficult part of the installation was locating the plugs. On mine, they were hiding underneath the ABS pump. I probably spent a good 60+ minutes just looking for them after the tank came off.

But it's worth it. Riding back home from my friend's shop with warm hands was delightful.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #3348
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
So we are back at the inane discussion on weight. Would the man, and I will be PC here, woman, please step forward that can clean and jerk 500 lbs.............thats what I thought.

What matters here is Center of Gravity, balance, tractability.

COG goes to Guzzi because of engine design...you can only put those parrallel cylinders just so low. Balance in my estimation goes to Guzzi because of COG, and lower fuel, as in height, capacity. I think the engine is more in line with very low grunt and torque. And, as my brother pointed out, you just sit down into the Guzzi better.

So the GS simply isn't as good of a design. In its day, a much simpler design day I might add, the GS was quite good, its day is done unless BMW gets back to the R80s basics.

I know there will always be people who go after the GS fancy tech, witness the car arena. But the truth is there are simpler better balanced machines now and the Stelvio is one of them. The only thing remaining to be seen is if it dependable. I will get back to you next summer.

And if I had spent well north of 20K...I would get quite defensive too.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #3349
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,409
^ funny
Old 11-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #3350
THE BONE SHAKER
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
So we are back at the inane discussion on weight. Would the man, and I will be PC here, woman, please step forward that can clean and jerk 500 lbs.............thats what I thought.

What matters here is Center of Gravity, balance, tractability.

COG goes to Guzzi because of engine design...you can only put those parrallel cylinders just so low. Balance in my estimation goes to Guzzi because of COG, and lower fuel, as in height, capacity. I think the engine is more in line with very low grunt and torque. And, as my brother pointed out, you just sit down into the Guzzi better.

So the GS simply isn't as good of a design. In its day, a much simpler design day I might add, the GS was quite good, its day is done unless BMW gets back to the R80s basics.

I know there will always be people who go after the GS fancy tech, witness the car arena. But the truth is there are simpler better balanced machines now and the Stelvio is one of them. The only thing remaining to be seen is if it dependable. I will get back to you next summer.

And if I had spent well north of 20K...I would get quite defensive too.
Amen to that!!!!!!!
TORQUE is how far the wall moves after you hit it
THE BONE SHAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #3351
James Adams
Misplaced

Just a reminder to check your Guzzi for loose hardware. I found that three out of four of my upper engine mount bolts were loose (and the one that wasn't loose was actually missing) and also I'm missing some of the hardware that holds the license plate assembly on.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #3352
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I guess i will get out the torque wrench and manual and go through the whole bike then. I wish my heated grips and top box would get here.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #3353
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Well I guess i will get out the torque wrench and manual and go through the whole bike then. I wish my heated grips and top box would get here.
Which top box did you go with?

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #3354
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

While I was at the dealership they just got confirmation from Guzzi that you could get the one that matches the panniers. That is the one that I want though I think I will need to design a pad for my wife. I just like the looks of that one.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #3355
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
While I was at the dealership they just got confirmation from Guzzi that you could get the one that matches the panniers. That is the one that I want though I think I will need to design a pad for my wife. I just like the looks of that one.
You can order that case from Twisted Throttle as well:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trax-...ck-or-aluminum

They also sell a "backrest":
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/backr...trax-alu-boxes
Old 11-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #3356
keithn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
I purchased the Guzzi trunk then used a giving back pad. Shaved it down and mounted it works great.
keithn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #3357
RefJeff
Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
You can order that case from Twisted Throttle as well:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trax-...ck-or-aluminum

They also sell a "backrest":
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/backr...trax-alu-boxes
Whitehorse Gear also carries the SW-Motech Trax luggage.

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/sw-mot...lu-box-topcase
RefJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #3358
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefJeff View Post
Whitehorse Gear also carries the SW-Motech Trax luggage.

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/sw-mot...lu-box-topcase
Good to know. I wonder if SW-Motech has a west coast distributor? Both Whitehorse and Twisted Throttle are in New England.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #3359
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the options folks. When I get time next week I will pursue.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #3360
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 408
NTX Aux light mod

The Hella lights on the '12 NTX can short out due to vibration. The leads going into the rubber boot will rub against the inside of the metal light housing and that's where the short happens. Leafman60 can tell you all about that adventure. This will cause a 30A fuze to blow and suddenly the electrical charging system is inop. I recommend installing a fuze in each light lead, in addition to preventing the short in the first place. This job is best done with the side panels off:

This is the connection between the wiring harness and the light leads. Note that the harness wires are color coded, not so on the Hella lead. Blue is the ground wire.

Splice in a fuze holder and install a 7.5A fuze. Put everything back in place and you are done! Oh, this is a good time to make sure all the wires are not going to get close to the exhaust, particularly on the right side.

pyoungbl screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 09:01 AM Reason: typo; should read 7.5A, not 75A
pyoungbl is offline   Reply With Quote