Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #3391
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
My question to you all- would you do it again if you had a chance to go back to mile zero without any loss of $$?
Kirb, I'm not married to Moto Guzzi or the Stelvio but I would replace mine with another NTX if need be. Although other brands have come on the market with a big dual sport (adventure motorcycle) I'm still looking for something that is better for me than the NTX. On a sliding scale of features the more important ones for me are: initial cost, maintenance cost (how much can I do myself), history of major failures (rear drive, engine, etc), comfort, range, standard equipment (so I don't have to do add-on), local dealer, parts availability. Everything I see on the market now is better than the NTX in one feature or another but the overall picture keeps coming back in favor of the Stelvio. Take the Triumph (great bike)...I don't want to take a chance on the first year of shaft drive, or even the second year. Doing a major tune-up would mean a trip to the dealer ($1K?). NTX comes with hard bags standard. I had a Tiger and loved the engine but parts were not much easier to get than what I have experienced with the Stelvio. You get my drift.

Glad you are doing better. I still have not road tested the rack I got from you, just waiting for a long trip.

Peter Y.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #3392
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,822
If I had to replace the NTX today it also would be with another NTX

I get on it and it feels like an old comfortable glove - it just works and is, for me, easy to live with
Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #3393
JJLalas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Regarding some recent delays on the delivery of NTX units, I know of one case where the bike was ready to be delivered by Agostini and Motoguzzi took it back to the factory to replace the engine with the current roller tappet version. It was a white Stelvio, not a NTX though.
JJLalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #3394
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
My question to you all- would you do it again if you had a chance to go back to mile zero without any loss of $$?
This is a great question and one that I seem to ponder every 12-24 months (at some point I need to stop doing that as it's getting $$$ ). Here's my 2 cents....

For me, it comes down to "if I sold it, what would I replace it with"?

I had the BMW GS. Great bike in many ways, not so great in others. I hear they've addressed many (most?) of my complaints that I had with mine (drank oil, lots of little problems), but I'm very nervous about reliability. So, I might get a water head boxer at some point, but not until it's been proven out.

I have (but am selling) the Multistrada 1200. WONDERFUL bike! My issue is with me, not the bike. At 420lbs dry and 150HP, it's so damn fun to ride that I turn into a teenage delinquent with impulse control issues every freakin' time I ride it. I constantly find myself doing very stupid shite on it, mainly because I (it) can. Car cuts me off, I zip around....then another one does it, and I zip around....before I know it I'm treating the cars like cones and I'm doing 90mph weaving between them. Oy. I figure I better sell it before I kill myself or someone else.

Tenere? Rode one, nice bike, the Stelvio is better in every way IMO. Better build quality, more low end oomph, more sporting in the upper revs, better low-throttle fueling, better shifting, zero jacking/lash with the shaft, larger tank for way better range, and the list goes on. Don't get me wrong, for the money, the Tenere just can't be beat in the bang-for-buck category. Around here they were selling for $11,995.....but after testing the Stelvio there's no way I would have been satisfied with the Tenere.

Tiger Explorer XC? It's the only bike of the current crop that I haven't ridden and everyone says it's more sport bike than adv bike. I've already proven I'm my own worst enemy regarding "sport" bikes, and I really prefer a twin for it's lopey cadence and stump pulling torque wayyyyy down low. I expect the motor to be an absolute gem because I loved the Tiger 1050 (which I rode many times), and everyone says the TigEx is the same, just "more" everywhere.....but I still prefer a twin. The downside is the 1050 was a very affordable bike and another one that was a lot for the money. The TigEx is the same price as all the other big trailies, so "bang for buck" is no longer a selling point IMO. Too bad really.....

KTM 1190. This is a bike that might tempt me once it's been out a while to work out the kinks. My only concern based on the spec sheet is the engine. It's derived from the RC8 sport bike, and it's a short(ish) stroke motor meaning it will be quick rev'ing and prefer to be in the mid-upper revs. If true, it's low throttle behavior might really suffer, but until I get a ride on one, I'm reserving judgement. It might be the same rocket as the Ducati though, and that more than anything might keep me away.

A new wildcard is the Aprilia Caponord for 2013, but with its 17" front wheel its mission is too street for me. Shame they didn't put a 19" on there with wire wheels for added durability front and rear like the old Capo. Then it would be more of a contender for what I'm looking for (all roads, including the bombed-out excuses for "roads" they have right around my house!).

So, there's my long answer. For now, the Stelvio ticks all the right boxes for me, and if I had to replace it tomorrow, it would be with another Stelvio. If it proves to be reliable, I don't see replacing it any time soon, which for me is saying something.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #3395
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLalas View Post
Regarding some recent delays on the delivery of NTX units, I know of one case where the bike was ready to be delivered by Agostini and Motoguzzi took it back to the factory to replace the engine with the current roller tappet version. It was a white Stelvio, not a NTX though.

This is an old '09 issue. The only '12s shipped to the USA are NTX's with the new motor. No one is replacing NTX motors with anything. The current delays in delivery are due to supplier shortages of a few parts.

-SM
Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #3396
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
This is a great question and one that I seem to ponder every 12-24 months (at some point I need to stop doing that as it's getting $$$ ). Here's my 2 cents....-SM
That is exactly the feedback I was looking (hoping) for.

BMW- not going to happen for me. Nothing about that interests me right now.
Yamaha- had a FJR1300 for 6 years and needed a change. The S10 isn't calling me back.
KTM- been there, doing that with a 990. What a tank. The thing is just asking to be flogged.
Triumph- not a big 1st year fan. This bike is 'too new' for me, but the features sure are nice. Needs better luggage.
Ducati- this is the only bike that has me re-thinking. I'm not sold right now on the chain drive and valve adjust as well as the buy-in, but they sure did hit the mark with this bike.

I don't really need a ton of HP. I hardly ever used the other 100HP in my FJR anyway. The engine of the NTX is really exactly what I like.

Thanks again for the input. I am really looking forward to having to pull the trigger again.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #3397
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
My only rub is the BITCH it can be to get parts in a timely manner. I have been waiting for 6 months on a front fender for my Griso, 3 months for my euro signal kit, and a week or two for standard NTX stuff. No telling what happens when the bike is out of current production.
This.

This is why I have never owned a Guzzi, even though the bikes absolutely scream AWESOME to me. I LOVE the look of the Griso, and the Norge too for that matter, and the Stelvio look like a supreme competitor to my GSA... I don't like the new 1400 California at all, but am excited to see what new models they're going to do with that motor.....

But unless they get their shit together and start building an actual dealer network, and perhaps a U.S, based stocking location (Warehouse) to make up for the lack of Italian work ethic, I'll most likely never have one, I've thought about getting a Griso for day trips or "local" riding, but come on,,,own a $10k bike that I specifically bought knowing I can't really use it??

Nope. But BMW, KTM, HD, and several others continue to earn my money every couple years.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #3398
JJLalas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Sock Monkey, don't get me wrong, it was my first post and I don't have a Stelvio. I own a V7 classic that I ride hard and long. But I've been looking to get me a Stelvio for some time already. I have followed this thread from the beginning and many others in GuzziTech, Wildguzzi, and the ones in Spain, where I live, regarding anything related to the cam issue.

The thing is I also thought it was an issue long forgotten.

I almost bought a black NTX last week. One year old and 17.000 miles. It was built in May 2011. It was beautiful but....the distribution failed. The parts involved where the latest available, their reference being:
tappets = B014603 and cam = 879271

The owner took the bike for the latest campaign regarding new center stand, ECU protector, and so forth, but they also changed the failed distribution parts, using the same reference of tappets and cams. The thing is at this official dealer they did it all wrong, they did not wash the engine as stated on the Guzzi document.

I agreed with the current owner to take the bike to Caparros BCN, a mechanic that truly know Guzzis inside and out. We checked the engine thoroughly and the damage was extensive. Tiny metal pieces all over the engine. Filters, sump, everything had this glitter dust. Sadly I could not go forth with the purchase. The new tappets and cam had been already in contact with all of those metal bits and dust and the failure will probably occur again in a shorter timespan due to the bad maintenance and skipping the oil engine wash procedure.

And make no mistake, I love the NTX and I'm getting one sooner or later. I've tried the R1200GS, KTM990 Adv, Tiger 800, and many others, and it's the Stelvio NTX, no doubt.

My previous comment was regarding a new white Stelvio (not NTX) for another guy in Barcelona. The delivery had been delayed since June. It was bought from Agostini, Mandello del Lario, trough Caparros, to be trucked to Spain. The latest reasoning Agostini provided for the delay was that MotoGuzzi requested to have the bike back at the factory.

Later on, when the bike was released and ready to be sent, Agostini explained "MotoGuzzi did not want any other 8V engine out without the new distribution (roller tappets)". I cannot verify any of this being the actual reasons behind the delays, but I seriously doubt Agostini staff would be making this kind of things up.

JJLalas screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 03:27 AM
JJLalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #3399
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLalas View Post
Sock Monkey, don't get me wrong, it was my first post and I don't have a Stelvio.
Ah. Without a location in your sig, I had no idea you were across the pond. All bets are off on EU bikes. Many models/configs shipped "over there" never made it to the US, so I can only comment on what (little) I know of USA bikes.

Best of luck in your search. You won't regret a NTX. Wonderful bikes. Guzzi seems to have gotten this one right.

-SM
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #3400
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Guzzi seems to have gotten this one right.

-SM
I hope so..... I've owned mine for only 6 weeks. Has lived up to all my expectations so far.
Demar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #3401
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
Ducati- this is the only bike that has me re-thinking. I'm not sold right now on the chain drive and valve adjust as well as the buy-in, but they sure did hit the mark with this bike.

I don't really need a ton of HP. I hardly ever used the other 100HP in my FJR anyway. The engine of the NTX is really exactly what I like.

Kirby, have you ridden the MTS12? The chain and valve adjust are what they are but the motor output can be adjusted via the push of a button. It allows the rider to choose between either 100+ hp or 150hp which is especially nice if you're in a riding situation that would benefit from such. Let's be honest with ourselves, you ride a bike as slowly or quickly as you want to, and these big bikes all have more power than many of us can actually utilize in the turns and such. Not to consider a MTS because it has too much horsepower is foolish in my mind.

And you're absolutely right, Ducati did hit the mark with the MTS as you say, it's the best upright road riding bike out there me thinks. Give it a ride if you haven't already.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #3402
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
I love my Stelvio. Mine is the '11 US-market model...smaller tank, long past the early engine issues, wider rear wheel & tire. It does so many things right, and it puts a smile on my face when I ride it. It's comfortable, quick, loves being tossed around like a rag doll on a back road, it has a seat that I don't see myself replacing (most bikes make me want to replace the seat after 30 minutes of riding), it gives me the upright riding position that I like and need (back back keeps me off sportbikes) yet I can still easily flat-foot it at stoplights, and the engine is a joy...delightfully mechanical in nature, lots of torque, and sounds fantastic.

The negatives: fuel economy is the only one I can think of. Range isn't an issue...if I need longer range between fillups, I can put on my external fuel tanks.

So I'd definitely consider getting another.

BUT...

I'm also one that likes to try different things...I've never owned the same vehicle twice in a row simply because I like to sample other stuff. So even though I love my Stelvio, I'd definitely consider pretty much all other similar bikes out there (and some dis-similar bikes as well) before getting another. For instance, the new Ducati Hyperstrada seems like it would just be a blast...the bones of the Hypermotard, but with different ergos, a small windscreen, and bags.

'14 KLR650 New Edition
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #3403
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Not to consider a MTS because it has too much horsepower is foolish in my mind.
That isn't even on the list of why I am not buying a MTS...calling service costs 'for what it is' for someone like myself that racks up miles is shortsighted...
Old 11-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #3404
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,805
Such Giddy Enthusiasm!

Have you guys seen this yet? I kinda agree with the reviewer, but it's almost like he's on the payroll for MG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3nmHWlbhUE
Old 11-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #3405
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
That isn't even on the list of why I am not buying a MTS...calling service costs 'for what it is' for someone like myself that racks up miles is shortsighted...
I didn't make reference to the costs (either did you in your post) but simply said that the valve and chain adjust are what they are. If you don't want to incur the actual costs then that's another matter. Maybe the MTS isn't for you.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote