Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #3406
Sock Monkey
Banned

Oddometer: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
I didn't make reference to the costs (either did you in your post) but simply said that the valve and chain adjust are what they are. If you don't want to incur the actual costs then that's another matter. Maybe the MTS isn't for you.
My experience with owning the MTS and BMW GS is the MTS is actually CHEAPER to own and operate. My GS had valve adjusts every 6k miles (not sure what the new ones are) and the MTS is every 15k miles. So, you'd do 3 valve adjusts on the BMW ($around here it cost me $400-500 each time) and only 1 on the MTS12 (about $1k) by 18k miles. Comparing apples to apples (having dealers do all the work), my costs on the MTS are below that of the BMW.

Not trying to start (or continue) a service cost bun fight here, but I think many people have the misconception that the MTS12 is more expensive than other brands to maintain, and that's not necessarily the case.

Having said that, none of these are "cheap" to maintain outside of maybe the Tenere due to its incredible 26k mile valve check interval, again assuming all work is done at a dealer. Doing the work yourself completely changes the equation.....and you better be good with a wrench to do the desmo valves on the Duc. They're not impossible, but they're certainly more involved than the others.

For the DIY'ers, I don't think it gets any simpler than the Guzzi. Screw-type valve adjusters, simple TB syncing, air filter easily accessible under the seat, user accessible service light resets, etc. You can do any regular service in 1-2hrs in the comfort of your own garage, with the added bonus of beverages of your choosing.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #3407
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Not trying to start (or continue) a service cost bun fight here, but I think many people have the misconception that the MTS12 is more expensive than other brands to maintain, and that's not necessarily the case.
-SM
Exactly...
The MTS has a higher cost of buy in and the valves are out of my comfort zone. Chains/hoops every 20k are some of the down sides for me...dealer is also an hour further away. The duc is attractive. The ntx more so.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #3408
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:

For the DIY'ers, I don't think it gets any simpler than the Guzzi. Screw-type valve adjusters, simple TB syncing, air filter easily accessible under the seat, user accessible service light resets, etc. You can do any regular service in 1-2hrs in the comfort of your own garage, with the added bonus of beverages of your choosing.

-SM
I'm with ya on this Sock....the GS' valve adjustments are easy as the Guzzi's which makes it possible for just about anyone to do....the same can't be said about the MTS.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #3409
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Would I? It has occurred to me.

Not having updated my RR in a week or so and sitting here in Margueritaville (PCB) while my bike has been at Talahassee's MG dealer for a good week now, I do ponder that very question. I mean, I love the bike. But I have been plagued with small problems. 15 and a half thousand miles on her now probably puts me into the senior range of 2012 NTX owners. Needless to say it has been wearing me down. To the point where I am thinking maybe I'll unload it. Now, Danny up at Fasttrixx has heard it all from me and says he is bound and determined to get to the bottom of it all. He is going after all the warranty issues. Everything from replacing the front wheel bearings, rebuilding the forks (seals and bushings), replacing (I hope, they are still humming and hawing on this one) the warped rotors, replacing the marked up front fairing (from the windshield digging into it) and the windshield( with its mount holes drilled 3/4 inch out of whack), fixing the exhaust leaks (gaskets blown out of the y pipe and non existent at the heads) and finding out why it's trying to stall at idle now.
Now in all fairness, I've had the carc checked for water and there is non(and I've been thru some shitstorms), looked closely at the engine oil plug for metal bits(none) and have checked for aux light wire wear and solenoid rubbing (it;s close but not happening yet) and all is good. I intend to get that engine guard off soon and file the bracket to make more room for the solenoid.
I think the motor is bullet proof. Its the damn TBs and ECU that may be giving me the grief.
Having had a very brief period of time to examine Pete Youngblood's NTX I can see that there are a bunch out there that came off the boat undamaged. I just wonder what happened to mine.(When I got it home from the shop I immediately found an aux light wire lying on the header and both front mount tabs for the side panels split from some heavy handed assembly.)
So, here's the kicker. I love the Big Gal so much I might try again with a 2013 model and spend a goodly amount of time going over it before I actually handed them a check.
Oh ya, and as for the ride? I was pretty intimidated when I got it. Bein a 30" inseam I wondered what I would do if I layed this 600 lb beast over. But I've ;earned to muscle her and, to my surprise, the weight is actually an advantage on dirt. I mean, this big breasted Italian momma sticks!
Old 11-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #3410
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
My experience with owning the MTS and BMW GS is the MTS is actually CHEAPER to own and operate. My GS had valve adjusts every 6k miles (not sure what the new ones are) and the MTS is every 15k miles. So, you'd do 3 valve adjusts on the BMW ($around here it cost me $400-500 each time) and only 1 on the MTS12 (about $1k) by 18k miles. Comparing apples to apples (having dealers do all the work), my costs on the MTS are below that of the BMW.

Having said that, none of these are "cheap" to maintain outside of maybe the Tenere due to its incredible 26k mile valve check interval, again assuming all work is done at a dealer. Doing the work yourself completely changes the equation.....and you better be good with a wrench to do the desmo valves on the Duc. They're not impossible, but they're certainly more involved than the others.

-SM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
I'm with ya on this Sock....the GS' valve adjustments are easy as the Guzzi's which makes it possible for just about anyone to do....the same can't be said about the MTS.
I'm a lurker on this thread, since I really like the NTX but I think that $500 for a GS service is out of the norm. It seems to me that the GS is equally easy to service as the NTX, so you are comparing apples to oranges. If you make the argument that you can do all your own service on the NTX, why didn't you do the same on the GS and use that in your calculation of costs of ownership?

Both have got to be cheaper to service than the Duc, particularly if you carry the service costs to the first belt replacement service on the Duc.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #3411
Sock Monkey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I'm a lurker on this thread, since I really like the NTX but I think that $500 for a GS service is out of the norm. It seems to me that the GS is equally easy to service as the NTX, so you are comparing apples to oranges. If you make the argument that you can do all your own service on the NTX, why didn't you do the same on the GS and use that in your calculation of costs of ownership?
Where I live it is not out of the norm. Everywhere the prices will be different.

I did NOT compare the cost of a dealer servicing a BMW to the cost of a DIY service on a Guzzi. Re-read what I wrote, in context. I compared MY experience of OWNING both a BMW GS and Ducati MTS12 and their relative servicing costs WHERE I LIVE, and being serviced at LOCAL dealers. In fact I clearly said all bets are off re. service costs if you do your own work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
Both have got to be cheaper to service than the Duc, particularly if you carry the service costs to the first belt replacement service on the Duc.
And you'd be wrong. That's my point. People who don't own these bikes and/or don't take them to the dealer for servicing ASSUME what you stated, and my point as an owner of both is that assumption isn't accurate. It certainly USED TO BE the case, but with the new motor in the MTS12, it's not.

-SM
Old 11-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #3412
Mr Grumpy
Old Git.

Oddometer: 102
Quote:

-SM
This is one of the primary reasons I'll be buying one, I've just been paid for the crashed Buell XB (at last) so I'm currently browsing all the European sites, not in a particular hurry as it's winter coming on here & I still have the M2 to ride when the weather's nice, I'm just looking for "The deal" if you know what I mean.

This whole threadfest has been of enormous help in confirming my gut feelings.

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers!
Mr Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #3413
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,838
Owww, that hurts!

I do have one problem with the bike: For the umpteenth time I've banged my knee against the side pannier when mounting the bike. It doesn't help that the bike is so tall and my hips aren't as flexible as they once were.

I never really liked the "Big box" look of metal panniers, but they came with the bike. I usually ride without the panniers because I don't need all that luggage space unless I'm traveling.

If there was an alternative to the Trax luggage, I would consider it.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #3414
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I do have one problem with the bike: For the umpteenth time I've banged my knee against the side pannier when mounting the bike. It doesn't help that the bike is so tall and my hips aren't as flexible as they once were.

I never really liked the "Big box" look of metal panniers, but they came with the bike. I usually ride without the panniers because I don't need all that luggage space unless I'm traveling.

If there was an alternative to the Trax luggage, I would consider it.
Micatech has a version that will mount right up to the factory SWMotec rack - much nicer then the stock TRAX bags, but a bit spends

consider a top box only
Old 11-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #3415
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,999
I'm not sure if anyone else has done it on a Stelvio, but I did the White Rim Trail last Friday on mine with a group of dirt bikes.

More pictures here.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #3416
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
Micatech has a version that will mount right up to the factory SWMotec rack - much nicer then the stock TRAX bags, but a bit spends

consider a top box only
I do have a Pelican-type top box mounted. I'll check out the Micatechs-thx.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #3417
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
I do have a Pelican-type top box mounted. I'll check out the Micatechs-thx.
You could also do Pelican side cases if you make some SWMT brackets ~or~ try these:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1...ts-one-pannier

There is always a nice soft option (I use these on the KTM- no rack mods required):
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedi...ddle_bags.html
or
http://www.kriega.us/ADV-motorcycle-panniers/

Another optioin is to cut off the side case brackets and re-fab them further back on the bike (and tighter to the bike) to make your entry easier. Not plug and play, however. I wasn't a fan of how far forward they are..you could move them nearly an inch in per side if you ran an aftermarket pipe.

I could also fab up some laser cut side plates kinda like your rear rack to bolt other options to....just an idea. I'd need a new Stelvio before I could do the work.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #3418
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 444
Kirb,
On a sorta related note; since you are the king of CNC, waterjet cutting, fabrication, and such have you considered making up a storage case to go between the right side case and the bike? There must be 4" of wasted space there, enough for a substantial tool box. Others have made do with a PVC pipe and that seems to work well but I'd like a bit more storage.

Peter Y.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #3419
Sock Monkey
Banned

Quote:
Use the footpeg to gain extra height to swing your leg over the pannier. Obviously it has to be on the sidestand to do that, but it should be on the sidestand anyway when you mount up as she's a hefty girl and can get away from you if you try it without. DAMHIK.....

-SM
Old 11-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #3420
Sock Monkey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I'm not sure if anyone else has done it on a Stelvio, but I did the White Rim Trail last Friday on mine with a group of dirt bikes.
Very nice James!

Do you have a bit of commentary re. how the big girl held up? Good hook up w/ the knobs, no TC or ABS troubles? Nothing vibrated loose? Etc....

-SM