Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #3421
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Kirb,
On a sorta related note; since you are the king of CNC, waterjet cutting, fabrication, and such have you considered making up a storage case to go between the right side case and the bike? There must be 4" of wasted space there, enough for a substantial tool box. Others have made do with a PVC pipe and that seems to work well but I'd like a bit more storage.

Peter Y.
King? Not really. I am an electrical engineer with a CAD department and a laser cutter down the street. I have enough contacts for fab up said tool/storage box without too much trouble. I have more of a desire to help out/share ideas of bike stuff more than turn a hobby into a job.

I have thought about that void space and wanted to see if Stucchi Luigi would convert the aux fuel tank they make (pre-NTX) into a storage box.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #3422
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Very nice James!

Do you have a bit of commentary re. how the big girl held up? Good hook up w/ the knobs, no TC or ABS troubles? Nothing vibrated loose? Etc....

-SM
The tires (mostly-new Scorpion Rally on the back, 4000-mile worn TKC-80 on the front) worked great at 25psi; I never had any major traction issues and no wheel damage either. The ABS and TC were disabled for the dirt. No drops and nothing vibrated loose, but the fork seals are shot. The suspension was the biggest challenge--it is not set up for all of the hard-edged bumps encountered in that type of terrain. A steering damper would help in the sand.

If I keep doing things like this, however, I imagine that a clutch replacement will be needed quite a bit sooner than usual.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #3423
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
The tires (mostly-new Scorpion Rally on the back, 4000-mile worn TKC-80 on the front) worked great at 25psi; I never had any major traction issues and no wheel damage either. The ABS and TC were disabled for the dirt. No drops and nothing vibrated loose, but the fork seals are shot. The suspension was the biggest challenge--it is not set up for all of the hard-edged bumps encountered in that type of terrain. A steering damper would help in the sand.

If I keep doing things like this, however, I imagine that a clutch replacement will be needed quite a bit sooner than usual.
ROFL!

So, what did in your fork seals, hard hits or dust/dirt/grime? I'd be surprised if you blew them out with hard hits as your rims would likely be toast as well.

Re. the clutch, yeah, that's something BMW did right after years of people roasting the dry clutches in muddy bogs, sand, etc.....they went with a wet clutch for '13. The bad news is like all wet clutches, it turns your oil to blackened syrup in no time. I love changing the oil in a dry clutch bike and seeing nice clean(ish) oil in there vs. the grunge that comes out of a wet clutch bike. I wonder if we'll see wet clutches on Guzzi's in the future, or if they'll stay with the dry variety....

In any case, good on ya for takin' the big girl out and playing in the dirt with the mini bikes.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #3424
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
So, what did in your fork seals, hard hits or dust/dirt/grime? I'd be surprised if you blew them out with hard hits as your rims would likely be toast as well.
I know I was using the full travel of the suspension and there was dirt and sand everywhere, so I'm guessing it was a combination of the two.

Quote:
Re. the clutch, yeah, that's something BMW did right after years of people roasting the dry clutches in muddy bogs, sand, etc.....they went with a wet clutch for '13. The bad news is like all wet clutches, it turns your oil to blackened syrup in no time. I love changing the oil in a dry clutch bike and seeing nice clean(ish) oil in there vs. the grunge that comes out of a wet clutch bike. I wonder if we'll see wet clutches on Guzzi's in the future, or if they'll stay with the dry variety....
The dry clutch is great in most situations. Fortunately the Guzzi is geared low enough that you can just tractor through a lot of things in first gear.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #3425
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
The dry clutch is great in most situations. Fortunately the Guzzi is geared low enough that you can just tractor through a lot of things in first gear.
+1

That's what, IMO, makes the Guzzi more attractive than its rivals. Its low-rpm performance is better than anything else I've ridden in this class of bike. The closest thing to it is.....*gasp*.....a Harley (or similar long-stroke cruiser), which makes gobs of usable torque from idle on up. The big difference with the Guzzi is the fun keeps going all the way to the 8krpm redline, with a real nice "kick" right around 5krpm.

-SM
Old 11-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #3426
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Use the footpeg to gain extra height to swing your leg over the pannier. Obviously it has to be on the sidestand to do that, but it should be on the sidestand anyway when you mount up as she's a hefty girl and can get away from you if you try it without. DAMHIK.....

-SM
This is what I do...simliar to getting on a horse; step on the footpeg and swing you leg over. It's the only graceful way I have found to mount up!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #3427
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
This is what I do...simliar to getting on a horse; step on the footpeg and swing you leg over. It's the only graceful way I have found to mount up!

I've done this with pretty much every bike I've owned, and not because I'm short, either. It just made sense.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #3428
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
+1

That's what, IMO, makes the Guzzi more attractive than its rivals. Its low-rpm performance is better than anything else I've ridden in this class of bike. The closest thing to it is.....*gasp*.....a Harley (or similar long-stroke cruiser), which makes gobs of usable torque from idle on up. The big difference with the Guzzi is the fun keeps going all the way to the 8krpm redline, with a real nice "kick" right around 5krpm.

-SM
Large-diameter dry clutch = good flywheel
Old 11-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #3429
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Large-diameter dry clutch = good flywheel
True....to a point. There's a lot more going on than just that though, because my BMW GS didn't run worth a damn below 3k rpm, and would cough and die at 2500 rpm. The Stelvio, on the other hand, pulls like a freight train from 2k rpm.

-SM
Old 11-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #3430
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
True....to a point. There's a lot more going on than just that though, because my BMW GS didn't run worth a damn below 3k rpm, and would cough and die at 2500 rpm. The Stelvio, on the other hand, pulls like a freight train from 2k rpm.

-SM
Indeed. Any idea how the bore/stroke compares?
Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #3431
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Quote:

I've done this with pretty much every bike I've owned, and not because I'm short, either. It just made sense.
You can see that I am definately using the side stand down, foot on peg and over method.

With my get up, I've been doing it for 15000 miles now. The side stand is holding up very well, unlike my F800GS side stand that bent all out of shape doing that.
You can also see the 4" ABS I used to fill the void between the wheel and the bag frame. Works pretty well but if there was an aluminium box that wide and, say another 6" deeper, that would be great too.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #3432
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by james adams View Post
indeed. Any idea how the bore/stroke compares?
bmw 101-73

mg 95-81.2
Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #3433
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Use the footpeg to gain extra height to swing your leg over the pannier. Obviously it has to be on the sidestand to do that, but it should be on the sidestand anyway when you mount up as she's a hefty girl and can get away from you if you try it without. DAMHIK.....

-SM
You mean the "old man" way to mount your bike. I do that when nobody is looking
Old 11-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #3434
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
You mean the "old man" way to mount your bike. I do that when nobody is looking
I've given up on hiding it anymore.... In January I qualify for the senior citizen discount at my local grocery store
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #3435
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
You can also see the 4" ABS I used to fill the void between the wheel and the bag frame. Works pretty well but if there was an aluminium box that wide and, say another 6" deeper, that would be great too.
I'll be looking into it this winter....looking at this photo, you really need a rear rack. You can buy the combo meal if I do another run.