ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #3421
kirb
should be out riding
 
kirb's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Musky, MI
Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Kirb,
On a sorta related note; since you are the king of CNC, waterjet cutting, fabrication, and such have you considered making up a storage case to go between the right side case and the bike? There must be 4" of wasted space there, enough for a substantial tool box. Others have made do with a PVC pipe and that seems to work well but I'd like a bit more storage.

Peter Y.
King? Not really. I am an electrical engineer with a CAD department and a laser cutter down the street. I have enough contacts for fab up said tool/storage box without too much trouble. I have more of a desire to help out/share ideas of bike stuff more than turn a hobby into a job.

I have thought about that void space and wanted to see if Stucchi Luigi would convert the aux fuel tank they make (pre-NTX) into a storage box.
__________________
'13 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, '07 Moto Guzzi Griso, '08 KTM adventure, '00 EH Super X, '48 Indian Chief (in resto)
kirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #3422
James Adams
Not a Texan
 
James Adams's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hell (a.k.a. Texas)
Oddometer: 7,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Very nice James!

Do you have a bit of commentary re. how the big girl held up? Good hook up w/ the knobs, no TC or ABS troubles? Nothing vibrated loose? Etc....

-SM
The tires (mostly-new Scorpion Rally on the back, 4000-mile worn TKC-80 on the front) worked great at 25psi; I never had any major traction issues and no wheel damage either. The ABS and TC were disabled for the dirt. No drops and nothing vibrated loose, but the fork seals are shot. The suspension was the biggest challenge--it is not set up for all of the hard-edged bumps encountered in that type of terrain. A steering damper would help in the sand.

If I keep doing things like this, however, I imagine that a clutch replacement will be needed quite a bit sooner than usual.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #3423
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
The tires (mostly-new Scorpion Rally on the back, 4000-mile worn TKC-80 on the front) worked great at 25psi; I never had any major traction issues and no wheel damage either. The ABS and TC were disabled for the dirt. No drops and nothing vibrated loose, but the fork seals are shot. The suspension was the biggest challenge--it is not set up for all of the hard-edged bumps encountered in that type of terrain. A steering damper would help in the sand.

If I keep doing things like this, however, I imagine that a clutch replacement will be needed quite a bit sooner than usual.
ROFL!

So, what did in your fork seals, hard hits or dust/dirt/grime? I'd be surprised if you blew them out with hard hits as your rims would likely be toast as well.

Re. the clutch, yeah, that's something BMW did right after years of people roasting the dry clutches in muddy bogs, sand, etc.....they went with a wet clutch for '13. The bad news is like all wet clutches, it turns your oil to blackened syrup in no time. I love changing the oil in a dry clutch bike and seeing nice clean(ish) oil in there vs. the grunge that comes out of a wet clutch bike. I wonder if we'll see wet clutches on Guzzi's in the future, or if they'll stay with the dry variety....

In any case, good on ya for takin' the big girl out and playing in the dirt with the mini bikes.

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #3424
James Adams
Not a Texan
 
James Adams's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hell (a.k.a. Texas)
Oddometer: 7,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
So, what did in your fork seals, hard hits or dust/dirt/grime? I'd be surprised if you blew them out with hard hits as your rims would likely be toast as well.
I know I was using the full travel of the suspension and there was dirt and sand everywhere, so I'm guessing it was a combination of the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Re. the clutch, yeah, that's something BMW did right after years of people roasting the dry clutches in muddy bogs, sand, etc.....they went with a wet clutch for '13. The bad news is like all wet clutches, it turns your oil to blackened syrup in no time. I love changing the oil in a dry clutch bike and seeing nice clean(ish) oil in there vs. the grunge that comes out of a wet clutch bike. I wonder if we'll see wet clutches on Guzzi's in the future, or if they'll stay with the dry variety....
The dry clutch is great in most situations. Fortunately the Guzzi is geared low enough that you can just tractor through a lot of things in first gear.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #3425
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
The dry clutch is great in most situations. Fortunately the Guzzi is geared low enough that you can just tractor through a lot of things in first gear.
+1

That's what, IMO, makes the Guzzi more attractive than its rivals. Its low-rpm performance is better than anything else I've ridden in this class of bike. The closest thing to it is.....*gasp*.....a Harley (or similar long-stroke cruiser), which makes gobs of usable torque from idle on up. The big difference with the Guzzi is the fun keeps going all the way to the 8krpm redline, with a real nice "kick" right around 5krpm.

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #3426
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred
 
dirtymartini's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Harveys Lake, PA
Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Use the footpeg to gain extra height to swing your leg over the pannier. Obviously it has to be on the sidestand to do that, but it should be on the sidestand anyway when you mount up as she's a hefty girl and can get away from you if you try it without. DAMHIK.....

-SM
This is what I do...simliar to getting on a horse; step on the footpeg and swing you leg over. It's the only graceful way I have found to mount up!
__________________
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #3427
James Adams
Not a Texan
 
James Adams's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hell (a.k.a. Texas)
Oddometer: 7,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
This is what I do...simliar to getting on a horse; step on the footpeg and swing you leg over. It's the only graceful way I have found to mount up!


I've done this with pretty much every bike I've owned, and not because I'm short, either. It just made sense.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #3428
James Adams
Not a Texan
 
James Adams's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hell (a.k.a. Texas)
Oddometer: 7,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
+1

That's what, IMO, makes the Guzzi more attractive than its rivals. Its low-rpm performance is better than anything else I've ridden in this class of bike. The closest thing to it is.....*gasp*.....a Harley (or similar long-stroke cruiser), which makes gobs of usable torque from idle on up. The big difference with the Guzzi is the fun keeps going all the way to the 8krpm redline, with a real nice "kick" right around 5krpm.

-SM
Large-diameter dry clutch = good flywheel
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #3429
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Large-diameter dry clutch = good flywheel
True....to a point. There's a lot more going on than just that though, because my BMW GS didn't run worth a damn below 3k rpm, and would cough and die at 2500 rpm. The Stelvio, on the other hand, pulls like a freight train from 2k rpm.

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #3430
James Adams
Not a Texan
 
James Adams's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hell (a.k.a. Texas)
Oddometer: 7,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
True....to a point. There's a lot more going on than just that though, because my BMW GS didn't run worth a damn below 3k rpm, and would cough and die at 2500 rpm. The Stelvio, on the other hand, pulls like a freight train from 2k rpm.

-SM
Indeed. Any idea how the bore/stroke compares?
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #3431
Toadride
Studly Adventurer
 
Toadride's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Done Roamin/Now Homin.
Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post


I've done this with pretty much every bike I've owned, and not because I'm short, either. It just made sense.
You can see that I am definately using the side stand down, foot on peg and over method.

With my get up, I've been doing it for 15000 miles now. The side stand is holding up very well, unlike my F800GS side stand that bent all out of shape doing that.
You can also see the 4" ABS I used to fill the void between the wheel and the bag frame. Works pretty well but if there was an aluminium box that wide and, say another 6" deeper, that would be great too.
__________________
I once was lost but now I'm...no wait, I'm still lost.
Toadride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #3432
stevie88
That's gotta hurt
 
stevie88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The place dad always warned me about
Oddometer: 17,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by james adams View Post
indeed. Any idea how the bore/stroke compares?
bmw 101-73

mg 95-81.2
__________________
In Russia we have saying, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". We also say, "if it is broke, don't fix it".
stevie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #3433
Mr. B
Contrarian
 
Mr. B's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Use the footpeg to gain extra height to swing your leg over the pannier. Obviously it has to be on the sidestand to do that, but it should be on the sidestand anyway when you mount up as she's a hefty girl and can get away from you if you try it without. DAMHIK.....

-SM
You mean the "old man" way to mount your bike. I do that when nobody is looking
__________________
'12 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #3434
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred
 
dirtymartini's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Harveys Lake, PA
Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
You mean the "old man" way to mount your bike. I do that when nobody is looking
I've given up on hiding it anymore.... In January I qualify for the senior citizen discount at my local grocery store
__________________
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #3435
kirb
should be out riding
 
kirb's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Musky, MI
Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
You can also see the 4" ABS I used to fill the void between the wheel and the bag frame. Works pretty well but if there was an aluminium box that wide and, say another 6" deeper, that would be great too.
I'll be looking into it this winter....looking at this photo, you really need a rear rack. You can buy the combo meal if I do another run.
__________________
'13 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, '07 Moto Guzzi Griso, '08 KTM adventure, '00 EH Super X, '48 Indian Chief (in resto)
kirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014