User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #3481
Chev.
The Final Drive?

Oddometer: 157
Many thanks for the comment.

With regard to my question: Is there any plausible way?

Modifications on my 2003

Chev. screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 12:11 PM
Chev. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #3482
Sock Monkey
Banned

Oddometer: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chev. View Post
Many thanks for the comment.

With regard to my question: Is there any plausible way?
There's always a way. The question is, how far do you want to go, and how much $$$ do you want to spend to get there?

Looking at my bike, the quickest way to more clearance is to drop the forks in the clamps all the way so the caps are flush with the top of the top clamp. That will get you another 10-11mm (I know, not much). Then, crank the preload on the rear shock to the max. That might get 1-2cm out back. If you want more than that, you'll need to throw $$$ at it: longer shock in the back and either longer forks or have the stock forks modified (no clue how much overlap is in the tubes and how far you can push it).

Honestly though, I wouldn't do it. I'm 6' w/ 33" inseam and can flat foot the bike w/ the seat in the low position. If you added 1" or more to the suspension, unless you're tall, it's going to make the bike tough to deal with off-road, especially if you're loaded w/ gear and fuel.

Just my 2 bananas......

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #3483
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chev. View Post
A comment to this one, anyone?
Sure. The rear shock has a pretty standard linkage on it, so I'm sure you could make a raising link. As for the front, you'd need longer forks or maybe switch to a 21" wheel if there's enough room. I would think that you could lace up a 21" rim to the stock hub, or maybe one of the BMW HP2 21" rims or an Apina SPS rim if you want to retain tubeless.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #3484
Chev.
The Final Drive?

OK, many thanks for your responses. My current 1150GS is the only bike I have owned, so not familiar with the more conventional front setup, hence the question.

Modifications on my 2003
Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #3485
Sock Monkey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Sure. The rear shock has a pretty standard linkage on it, so I'm sure you could make a raising link.
Unlike the linkages on smaller bikes, the link on the rear of the NTX is one solid piece. On the smaller bikes you can often purchase a different length "dog bone" and viola, instantly taller (or shorter) bike at a relatively low cost. Not so with the Stelvio. It would need a custom bit of precision engineering.....

-SM
Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #3486
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Unlike the linkages on smaller bikes, the link on the rear of the NTX is one solid piece. On the smaller bikes you can often purchase a different length "dog bone" and viola, instantly taller (or shorter) bike at a relatively low cost. Not so with the Stelvio. It would need a custom bit of precision engineering.....

-SM
Here's the linkage on the bike (rear tire removed, linkage disconnected from swingarm)

And this is the link all by itself. You can see that it's not a simple job to change the geometry if you want to make more clearance.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #3487
Chev.
The Final Drive?

Thanks again Sounds like if I should ever buy the Stelvio I'd rather be quite sure I'll be fine with the ground clearance as originally manufactured.

Fair enough

Modifications on my 2003

Chev. screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 12:34 AM
Old 11-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #3488
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:

-SM
If I'm not mistaken, that piece doesn't have to change. It's the other two pieces attached to it that Peter didn't show in his second photo. I believe that this is still the typical rising-rate linkage setup, just in a slightly different orientation.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #3489
Sock Monkey
Banned

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, that piece doesn't have to change. It's the other two pieces attached to it that Peter didn't show in his second photo. I believe that this is still the typical rising-rate linkage setup, just in a slightly different orientation.
There are 3 pieces in total. All of those can be seen in Peter's first photo. The link, the shock, and a funky "wishbone" shaped bit that attaches the link to the frame. In the first photo, all he's done is removed the bolt holding the swingarm to the triangular-shaped link, which he shows by itself in his second photo. Go peep under your Stelvio and you'll see what I'm talking about.

-SM
Old 11-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #3490
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
There are 3 pieces in total. All of those can be seen in Peter's first photo. The link, the shock, and a funky "wishbone" shaped bit that attaches the link to the frame. In the first photo, all he's done is removed the bolt holding the swingarm to the triangular-shaped link, which he shows by itself in his second photo. Go peep under your Stelvio and you'll see what I'm talking about.

-SM
That wishbone link is analogous to the dogbones you often see in a suspension linkage and is what would need to be replaced. I believe it should be made shorter to raise, longer to lower. Or it might be the other way around.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #3491
Sock Monkey
Banned

Quote:
That wishbone link is analogous to the dogbones you often see in a suspension linkage and is what would need to be replaced. I believe it should be made shorter to raise, longer to lower. Or it might be the other way around.
Agreed, but it's not a set of simple or cheap dog bones. It's a complex piece that would be $$$ to replace. That was my original point....sadly.

-SM
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #3492
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
If u added more height to the rear of the bike would it not put the shaft geometry out of whack? At least at a more severe angle and possibly create premature wear?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #3493
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,837
The guy who has Guzzitech also sells Penske shocks which can be orderd +/- from stock height

http://forum.guzzitech.com/store/product/cid-34.html
Old 11-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #3494
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
If u added more height to the rear of the bike would it not put the shaft geometry out of whack? At least at a more severe angle and possibly create premature wear?
I'm quite certain that an inch or two would have no appreciable effect. The swingarm is long enough that the (slightly increased) angle to accomplish this is still well within the U-joint's design parameters.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #3495
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Agreed, but it's not a set of simple or cheap dog bones. It's a complex piece that would be $$$ to replace. That was my original point....sadly.

-SM
The ujoint as you see that would need to be the piece to replace to make the bike sit taller or shorter is simular to the piece needed on the KTM 690 to do the same. They are priced @ under $150 USD. not alot of $ at all.
I had a RC51 that I replaced the actual three hole link with one that changed the rising rate to a more desireable rate.
Those sold for only $250. I guess that might be considered alot of money to some. Perhaps this is your case.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote