Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #3586
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
Has anyone seen the new issue of RoadRunner magazine? There is a Burnt Orange Stelvio on the cover....
The guy on the Stelvio came to Vermont and hooked up with Eric, the owner of MotoVermont, a local rental company here. They did a trip across Vermont and New Hampshire and then the Stelvio guy wrote an article about it for Road Runner. Eric was riding a Multistrada. The writer tried to be different and most of the article is taken up by fictional dialogs between these two motorcycles and for the most part they are not related to the story. For me it got annoying pretty quickly and I started skipping them. I wish the article focused more on the scenery, people, how the bikes did, and all the other touring stuff we like to read about. The pics of the Stelvio looked great.

Eric seems to be a nice guy, I met him briefly at a BMW dealer here. The article got me interested enough to go see him and rent a Multistrada for a day just to see what the fuss is about (The "Tomato" from the article). But we are getting snow for a few days now and it may stick, so it could be a while before I can rent a bike. I initially got excited that maybe the Stelvio was for rent too but I am sure it belongs to the other guy.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #3587
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,994
Just a quick tire update; I have about 1500 miles on the Scorpion Rally rear tire and it appears to still have at least another 1500 miles left. If that turns out to be accurate, then these are a considerably better value than the TKCs. Note that I'm writing specifically about the rear tire; I still have a TKC front installed with about 4800 miles on it and plenty of tread depth remaining. I haven't tested the Rally front yet.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #3588
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Just a quick tire update; I have about 1500 miles on the Scorpion Rally rear tire and it appears to still have at least another 1500 miles left. If that turns out to be accurate, then these are a considerably better value than the TKCs. Note that I'm writing specifically about the rear tire; I still have a TKC front installed with about 4800 miles on it and plenty of tread depth remaining. I haven't tested the Rally front yet.
How much do you get on the rear TKC? I got about 4K on my F800GS, half road/half gravel.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #3589
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
How much do you get on the rear TKC? I got about 4K on my F800GS, half road/half gravel.
I changed the rear TKC at about 3300 miles. It was not bald but pretty worn.

James Adams screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 04:11 PM Reason: corrected
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #3590
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
I threw on a set of Pilot Road 3 Trails over 5000 miles ago now and they still look brand new. Plus they were $200 cheaper than the Scorps. They are exceptional for this southern rainy weather I am in.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #3591
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
I threw on a set of Pilot Road 3 Trails over 5000 miles ago now and they still look brand new. Plus they were $200 cheaper than the Scorps. They are exceptional for this southern rainy weather I am in.
Pilot Road 3 Trails for me next as well, but I didn't see a $200 price difference. Maybe $40 from Revzilla?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #3592
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Pilot Road 3 Trails for me next as well,...
On the Michelin website, it looks like the PR 3 Trails are exactly the same as the PR 3 for Sport Bikes. Is there a difference that I am not seeing?
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #3593
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
On the Michelin website, it looks like the PR 3 Trails are exactly the same as the PR 3 for Sport Bikes. Is there a difference that I am not seeing?
The difference is in the distribution of the compounds (soft-hard-soft) across the tire surface. The trails have a higher percentage of the hard compound and only come in a single speed rating (if I'm not mistaken).

Having them installed on my GS, tomorrow.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #3594
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Pilot Road 3 Trails for me next as well, but I didn't see a $200 price difference. Maybe $40 from Revzilla?
I think the price difference Toad talks about was due to the dealer making multiple tractor trailer load purchases to get a special price on certain tires. As I recall that dealer was offering a pair of PR3 tires in popular sport sizes for $289 + mount and balance. Now I see that SWMototires has 35% off Michelin tires until the end of January so the savings are less than last summer.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #3595
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,661
I don't think I posted this here...some minor add-on ideas that I did to my NTX:

http://stelvio-ntx.blogspot.com/
Old 12-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #3596
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I don't think I posted this here...some minor add-on ideas that I did to my NTX:

http://stelvio-ntx.blogspot.com/
Thanks for posting that! I'm going to have to take a look at the EE mount setup. I currently am using a RAM Mount part to replace one of my handlebar clamp bolts, but the EE/Touratech setup looks much more functional.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #3597
kirb
should be out riding

Quote:
Thanks for posting that! I'm going to have to take a look at the EE mount setup. I currently am using a RAM Mount part to replace one of my handlebar clamp bolts, but the EE/Touratech setup looks much more functional.
I really liked the installation. I ended up mounting it on the lower two bolts with the clamps pointing up. I put some 'pads' on the vertical posts to prevent them from scratching the handlebar clamp cap...I think I cut the verticals down as well. The EE unit comes with a half bar and full bar which makes 'normal' and 'long haul' mounts possible.

I left everything somewhat loose until I got the unit where I wanted it and square. I didn't test it on really bad roads, but it worked great for what I needed.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #3598
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I really liked the installation. I ended up mounting it on the lower two bolts with the clamps pointing up. I put some 'pads' on the vertical posts to prevent them from scratching the handlebar clamp cap...I think I cut the verticals down as well. The EE unit comes with a half bar and full bar which makes 'normal' and 'long haul' mounts possible.

I left everything somewhat loose until I got the unit where I wanted it and square. I didn't test it on really bad roads, but it worked great for what I needed.
It looks like it would also still work well with the Rox Risers that I'm using.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #3599
kirb
should be out riding

Quote:
I have ROX risers on my KTM...I would have to agree. I used locktite on the cross bar bolts, IIRC...
Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #3600
Sock Monkey
Banned

Oddometer: 2,033
Quote:
I have ROX Risers on my Stelvio w/ the Touratech V2 locking GPS mount (I have a Garmin 665 mounted in it). Works great, is secure, is vibration isolated, and looks good as well. Highly recommended.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote