Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #3601
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I have ROX Risers on my Stelvio w/ the Touratech V2 locking GPS mount (I have a Garmin 665 mounted in it). Works great, is secure, is vibration isolated, and looks good as well. Highly recommended.

-SM
Any idea if the Touratech mount for the Garmin 60-series will also work with the [newer] 62? The RAM Mount rattles a lot.

I see now that Touratech has a 62-specific mount.

Nothing for my Nuvi 1490, but that's not surprising.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #3602
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I have ROX risers on my KTM...I would have to agree. I used locktite on the cross bar bolts, IIRC...
That deer did a number on your bike. I hope you came out of the encounter unscathed.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #3603
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
I have ROX Risers on my Stelvio w/ the Touratech V2 locking GPS mount (I have a Garmin 665 mounted in it). Works great, is secure, is vibration isolated, and looks good as well. Highly recommended.

-SM
Hey Mr. Monkey. I have been trying to get some feedback on the Rox Risers. With our cables already being snug in their factory positioning, I am wondering what you have to deal with to mount them. An inch up and back would prolly relieve some strain for me.
Toad
Old 12-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #3604
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Hey Mr. Monkey. I have been trying to get some feedback on the Rox Risers. With our cables already being snug in their factory positioning, I am wondering what you have to deal with to mount them. An inch up and back would prolly relieve some strain for me.
Toad
I have the 2-inch Rox Risers and I did not have to relocate any cables, however I positioned the risers so they moved the bars about 1.75 inches up and 0.25 inches forward. If you wanted to move them up and back you'll need to creatively reroute the cables.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #3605
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Toad
Hiya Toad!

I had to move my throttle cables, front brake line, and clutch line behind the top triple clamp (2 1/4" vibe-isolating risers). I did that by taking off the top triple clamp, but another inmate said he did his by taking the levers off and snaking them between the head tube and fork, and disconnecting the throttle cables at the grip. Either way works, but you need a BIG hex bit (14mm if I remember right) to get that top triple clamp off. Not a big job, but not a 10 min deal either. The end result, however, more than made up for the hassle. For me anyway, it was a huge improvement and one that I would do again in a heartbeat.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #3606
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Thankyou JA and SM. SM, did your go up and back? And who is the supplier?
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #3607
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Thankyou JA and SM. SM, did your go up and back? And who is the supplier?
Yessir. ROX are able to be positioned any way you want them, and I have mine so they are up and back, almost in a line between the original position and my shoulders.

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/ca...catlabel_id=79

-SM
Old 12-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #3608
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Hiya Toad!

I had to move my throttle cables, front brake line, and clutch line behind the top triple clamp (2 1/4" vibe-isolating risers). I did that by taking off the top triple clamp, but another inmate said he did his by taking the levers off and snaking them between the head tube and fork, and disconnecting the throttle cables at the grip. Either way works, but you need a BIG hex bit (14mm if I remember right) to get that top triple clamp off. Not a big job, but not a 10 min deal either. The end result, however, more than made up for the hassle. For me anyway, it was a huge improvement and one that I would do again in a heartbeat.

-SM
I'll probably do this when I have the forks off next week. The rise is nice but a little back would be great and rerouting the cables and lines will be easy with the forks removed.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #3609
James Adams
Not a Texan

Well I was getting all of my parts together for the fork seal work next week and just discovered that I have two sets of new dust seals and no oil seals. I double checked my order receipt and sure enough I ordered a pair each of the dust and oil seals; the vendor sent the wrong part.

If they were the same price, I wouldn't care as much (nothing wrong with having some spares), but the oil seals are the expensive ones. I suppose its bad karma for the vendor charging $17 for shipping when it was mailed in a small (<$6 postage) flat-rate box. I should have checked the contents of the box sooner, but I don't think I've ever had anyone send me the wrong stuff like this before.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #3610
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

I wonder if that is what happened with my forks. It's been three weeks since the dealer started rebuilding mine and every week it was 'the parts are on route.' I'm thinking they didn't send the whole kit.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #3611
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,175
After hearing about the sensitivity of the forks to over tightening a pinch bolt, I'd probably send them out for X-ray before riding the bike again, once you get it back together. After seeing how the fork will just catastrophically fail and pitch you off into the tundra, I don't think I'd ever trust them.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #3612
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 719
I wouldn't sweat it. If the person putting the wheels on isn't a complete donkey and can read a torque wrench, you should be fine.

I've had 5-6 sets of tires put on mine now and 35000 miles and no problems whatsoever and mine is an 09 that it was more of an issue on.

I will say this though, that when I drop it off for tires, I usually put a piece of blue tape on the fork legs on each side with the words "axle pinch bolts and the appropriate foot pounds. Then they can never say that they missed it or forgot.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #3613
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
I wouldn't sweat it. If the person putting the wheels on isn't a complete donkey and can read a torque wrench, you should be fine.

I've had 5-6 sets of tires put on mine now and 35000 miles and no problems whatsoever and mine is an 09 that it was more of an issue on.

I will say this though, that when I drop it off for tires, I usually put a piece of blue tape on the fork legs on each side with the words "axle pinch bolts and the appropriate foot pounds. Then they can never say that they missed it or forgot.
+1

I solve any problems by doing my own tire changes.

BUT....having said that, to play a bit of devil's advocate, should the design of the pinch area be such that overtorqueing the pinch bolts causes cracking of the lower fork leg, which can (and has) lead to a "loss of control and possible injury or death"? Another poster who experienced just such a scenario has asked a failure analysis company to look into what caused his lower fork leg to crack (likely overtorqued pinch bolts), but so far I've not seen/heard the results. What would be interesting to know is how much torque is too much, and should a governing body like the US NHTSA get involved to make MG (PGA) redesign the lower fork leg to make it more robust so even if someone overtorqued the bolts, the worst that would happen would be a seized bolt or stripped threads. No lawsuits or any of that crap, just force them to improve the design.

Just askin', but I'll from the , , , and just in case.....

-SM
Old 12-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #3614
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
The forks are purchased from a manufacturer so no liability for guzzi. Would have to go after the actual manufacturer in any lawsuit. I doubt you would get anywhere that way either since the failures would be blamed on failure to follow torque specifications.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #3615
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
The forks are purchased from a manufacturer so no liability for guzzi. Would have to go after the actual manufacturer in any lawsuit. I doubt you would get anywhere that way either since the failures would be blamed on failure to follow torque specifications.
Marzocchi