Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #3661
RefJeff
Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
The main reason is to get the trail back in line, they bring the rake back to 25 degrees to get it to handle like a dirt bike, but then the trail is out of whack and you'd get death wobble if the axle was under the fork, so they move the axle forward of the fork to trick the trail into thinking there is less rake...walla...a good handling bike.
Back in the mid 70's, offset axle forks were introduced during the suspension revolution. To get longer travel forks without jacking the seat height through the roof, they came up with the offset axle slider.

2013 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
1991 Suzuki GSX1100G - For Sale
1980 Kawaski KDX 250
RefJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #3662
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefJeff View Post
Back in the mid 70's, offset axle forks were introduced during the suspension revolution. To get longer travel forks without jacking the seat height through the roof, they came up with the offset axle slider.

Right, but the bottom line is to get the trail back...when the forks got longer the trail geometry got fouled up, put the axle in front of the fork tube to get it back.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #3663
murfalert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I've watched this thread for a long time because I wanted an NTX in the worst way. Actually I still want one. But since I couldn't spend that much cash right now I went for an '06 1150 Adventure (I need the large tank for my 100 mile daily commute). After seeing all the gibberish about the fork failure I thought it prudent to post a friends experience with his '09 Stelvio. Let me first say its an awesome bike that I'd buy in a minute if the gas tank was larger.
Anyway; his fork cracked at the pinch bolt. He rode it that way throughout an off road dual sport ride (he weighs about 230#), then had it welded. Its been fine since.

Murf
murfalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #3664
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,228
I'm the proud owner of a 2013 NTX, having it for a bit more than a week now. My take thus far compared to the 08 GSA I owned since new and sold a few months ago with 46k miles.

The guzzi handles better at both very slow and high speeds. The suspension is more compliant, it holds a line better while leaned over in corners and has very good straight line stability. I think it feels much less top heavy than the GSA and thus would be less of a handful off road. The stock seat is better than the GSA, though not in the same league as RDL. The bike feels smaller and more tidy a package overall. I'm 6'2", 230 lbs and there's plenty of room for me. With the seat in the high position my legs are a long way from the cylinders. The windscreen performance is about the same on both bikes, I run them pretty low, my entire noggin is hanging out in the breeze. The guzzi motor gives me wood, it sounds great with the stock pipe, the boxer is just ok. It looks like the gas mileage will be better on the guzzi. The transmission is a bit slicker shifting on the guzzi too. I think the NTX in orange is by far the better looking bike.

The downside list is pretty short. The guzzi heated grips don't put out as much heat as those on the GSA and it doesn't offer quite as much wind protection to your legs. The ability to move your feet around on the pegs is a bit restricted due to the contoured frame. The panniers are better looking on the guzzi but you can't remove the key unless the lid is locked.

I'm looking forward to some serious road time on this bike.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #3665
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,896
Nice review.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #3666
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I'm the proud owner of a 2013 NTX, having it for a bit more than a week now. My take thus far compared to the 08 GSA I owned since new and sold a few months ago with 46k miles.

The guzzi handles better at both very slow and high speeds. The suspension is more compliant, it holds a line better while leaned over in corners and has very good straight line stability. I think it feels much less top heavy than the GSA and thus would be less of a handful off road. The stock seat is better than the GSA, though not in the same league as RDL. The bike feels smaller and more tidy a package overall. I'm 6'2", 230 lbs and there's plenty of room for me. With the seat in the high position my legs are a long way from the cylinders. The windscreen performance is about the same on both bikes, I run them pretty low, my entire noggin is hanging out in the breeze. The guzzi motor gives me wood, it sounds great with the stock pipe, the boxer is just ok. It looks like the gas mileage will be better on the guzzi. The transmission is a bit slicker shifting on the guzzi too. I think the NTX in orange is by far the better looking bike.

The downside list is pretty short. The guzzi heated grips don't put out as much heat as those on the GSA and it doesn't offer quite as much wind protection to your legs. The ability to move your feet around on the pegs is a bit restricted due to the contoured frame. The panniers are better looking on the guzzi but you can't remove the key unless the lid is locked.

I'm looking forward to some serious road time on this bike.
Good review. This is very similar to my experience with my '06 GS (non-A) as well as riding a GSA. All very good bikes, but the Guzzi is something special.

Enjoy the new toy!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #3667
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,228
Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #3668
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Ooooooo, stevie...I'm jealous!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #3669
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

+1

Looks good Stevie!

One word of caution. I see you have the matching top box (also made by SW Motech, just like the side cases). If you plan to travel over rough ground, you may want to look into an additional way to secure the top box to its mounting plate. One owner reported that his came off while riding off-road.

-SM
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #3670
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
One word of caution. I see you have the matching top box (also made by SW Motech, just like the side cases). If you plan to travel over rough ground, you may want to look into an additional way to secure the top box to its mounting plate. One owner reported that his came off while riding off-road.

-SM

Yeah, the mount is rated for 11 pounds if memory serves...you know, the weight of an empty box.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #3671
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,167
On that note, I have two beat-up and misshapen Guzzi-branded Trax side cases if anyone wants them. Free for pick-up in Colorado Springs. I'm replacing them with Pelicans.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #3672
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
2013 colors

Are the US colors the same as they were last year?
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #3673
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
Are the US colors the same as they were last year?
Yes.

http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/motorcyc...-1200-ntx.html

But, we're talking MG here, so 3 months from now they may get a great deal on white paint and viola......

-SM
Old 01-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #3674
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
A beautiful day yesterday on the California coast 30 miles north of Santa Cruz.
Demar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #3675
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,586
Damn you Californians! We have a foot of snow on the ground

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

dirtymartini screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 03:08 PM
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote