User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #3796
Renman1117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Best of both worlds

[QUOTE=rocker59;20490330]I have to wonder why a person would want a Stelvio with sportsbike rubber, but since some of the street-oriented Adventure-Styled bikes come that way, there must be a market for it.

I think for me Mike I want the best of both worlds. I just got off the phone ordering a 4.25 x 17 wheel from Harpers so I can mount up a DS tire for off road play. Truthfully I wish there where more places in close proximity to get off the pavement where I live but it is what it is. Pretty flat here abouts. So what I plan to do is run my OEM wheels the Stelvio came with on the pavement and use the other wheel/tire setup mostly. My plans are open for change though if I end up really liking the Mitas E07 tires I am going to order. Mitas MX1 Canada says that a 110/80x 19 E07 tire for the front which will be availible in February 2013, so I will go this route on the front. Hell I might even be inspired to look harder for the mud. If they reallly work out as well as I hope, chances are the new tire setup will see alot more action. Just saying.

Cliff
Old 01-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #3797
mikep95
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
Welcome to the fray, Mike.

The more miles you put on the big girl, the more you'll like it.

Not sure if you know this, but the Guzzi (inter)National is in your neck of the woods this year. Lavigne, Ontario. I think there'll be a lot of Stelvio's there this year. Hope to see you there!

Doug
Thanks Doug! In my neck of the woods? Lavigne is almost in my back yard! Registering tomorrow. We'll definitely hook up.
mikep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #3798
Prior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Of course you can put the 5.5 rear on the NTX!

Hell! The NTX wears the narrower rear wheel because everyone who wanted to take thier bike off pavement asked for it. Demanded it! Guzzi answered the call and equipped the bike with the 150 section rear tire because so many tires are available in that size!

Yes, there are people out there who have both and switch back and forth.
Very true statement. I ride a Uly now, it does fine with the 180 rear with the road and the trail work I do with it. I like the NTX for ease of maintenance, great fuel capacity and the ability to push a bit further down the trail than the Uly with some more adept tires choices, but still tour and twist the turns well with a wider choice. Maybe I'm way off base- I've ridden street Buells my whole life (M2, XB21R and now Uly) and looking for the next bike to suit my tastes and riding styles that's a true all purpose bike that I can commute, ride the twisties and head to Alaska if I so desire... I think the NTX has it, and would really dig the abaility to have a wider rear tire, didn't take the front into consideration- Doh!

Great info on this thread and keep it coming!
Prior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #3799
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I just ordered a MyTech Tool Case for the Stelvio. When I get it I'll trial fit the Slime compressor along with a first aid kit and tools to see what fits.

http://www.mtechaccessories.com/eng/...tool_case.html
Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #3800
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demar39 View Post
I just ordered a MyTech Tool Case for the Stelvio. When I get it I'll trial fit the Slime compressor along with a first aid kit and tools to see what fits.

http://www.mtechaccessories.com/eng/...tool_case.html
Nice!

Looking forward to the results......

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #3801
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,606
Set the wheels in motion to replace the 2012 NTX that was tanked by a deer...with a 2013 NTX.

Next warm day and I'll be filling the garage where an empty slot was since 9/30
Old 01-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #3802
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Set the wheels in motion to replace the 2012 NTX that was tanked by a deer...with a 2013 NTX.

Next warm day and I'll be filling the garage where an empty slot was since 9/30
Congrats Kirb!

Says a lot about the bike that you are replacing it with another one.

Ride safe....and buy one of those deer whistles and attach it to your bike. I've heard they actually work.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #3803
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 396
Kirb, pull the valve covers on your '13. There is a good chance you will find roller tappets under there. Word is that the '13 big blocks have rollers. I'd appreciate confirmation.

Peter Y.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #3804
kirb
should be out riding

I will check for rollers when I get the bike. It might be a bit before the weather breaks. I need to get my hands on it to get it to where my other one was.

This bike was at the dealer when I brought my other one in so the adjuster could work with the dealer. I assumed it was a 2012 as this was early October. The dealer checked today and said it was a 2013.

I'll keep you all posted.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #3805
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Kirb, pull the valve covers on your '13. There is a good chance you will find roller tappets under there. Word is that the '13 big blocks have rollers. I'd appreciate confirmation.

Peter Y.
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=59408.0

They have shown up in the Norges...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #3806
JJLalas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Not all 8V engined Guzzis sold today have roller tappets. The remaining stock of bikes with flat tappets is being sold as well. The percentage of failure on flat tappet engines from late November onwards is around 2% only.
JJLalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #3807
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
My '12 NTX, picked up in late-June from the dealer in Woodstock, IL, has Engine Number AC 012710. My dealer said it has the roller tappets.

If this new bike has a later engine number (ie; numerically larger), it would seem logical that it would also have the rollers. However, old time Guzzi owners seem to agree there is no logic to what the factory does in some cases.

Chuck in Indiana screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 03:39 AM Reason: add text
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #3808
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post

Peter Y.
Roller tappets, huh. I haven't had to do MG valves yet, but all I've ever heard is how easy it is. Will this change affect the maintenance? BTW, I have no idea whether my bike has them. (Delivered in late August)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #3809
kirb
should be out riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Roller tappets, huh. I haven't had to do MG valves yet, but all I've ever heard is how easy it is. Will this change affect the maintenance? BTW, I have no idea whether my bike has them. (Delivered in late August)
Rollers won't impact valve adjustment. The valve adjustment is done with feeler gauges, adjusters, and locknuts on the actuator on top of the valve itself. The rollers are on the other end (the part that runs off the cam). The rollers, in general, are supposed to reduce the operational friction of a solid lifter running on a cam face.

Shouldn't impact day to day work at all.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #3810
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Had to refresh my memory on these guys. If they are rollers does that not mean a whole new cam setup? The profile for roller style cams is radically different from the flat, is it not?