Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #3811
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Had to refresh my memory on these guys. If they are rollers does that not mean a whole new cam setup? The profile for roller style cams is radically different from the flat, is it not?
Depends on part numbers...I don't know if there are any parts numbers in books we can see for the newer engines yet.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #3812
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Depends on part numbers...I don't know if there are any parts numbers in books we can see for the newer engines yet.
Pete Roper in Oz has looked into this, see his posts at guzzitech.com. Evidently the cam profile is the same but there are quite a few different part numbers for related parts (just in case you were inclined to swap out to rollers). The ECU is the same too. In theory one can run a more aggressive cam profile with rollers. The actual adjustment has not changed, still the simplest in motorcycledom.

Peter Y.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #3813
kirb
should be out riding

So...discussing the sale with the dealer today. Wanted to get the heated grips. They said it comes with them. I mentioned that the 2012s had the sofware/hardware for the grips, but no grips were included. They stated they are included on the 2013 bikes and are about 90% sure the bike has them on already. They will put them on if they are incorrect.

Another 2013 tidbit.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #3814
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
So...discussing the sale with the dealer today. Wanted to get the heated grips. They said it comes with them. I mentioned that the 2012s had the sofware/hardware for the grips, but no grips were included. They stated they are included on the 2013 bikes and are about 90% sure the bike has them on already. They will put them on if they are incorrect.

Another 2013 tidbit.
Good news if true. The NTX should have come with heated grips from the get-go.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #3815
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,012
Quote:

Another 2013 tidbit.
It would take about 2 seconds to check for the wires going to the grips. If they have the bike, then I'm not sure how there would be any uncertainty.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #3816
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 16,744
My 2013 that arrived 12/1/2012 did not have heated grips factory installed.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #3817
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 350
I finally installed replacement aux lights on my NTX. These are Mondo Moto http://www.mondomotos.com/ and considerably smaller than the Hella items that came on my NTX.

The new lights are half the weight of the Hellas. In my garage the new lights seem as bright as the old ones.

Peter Y.

pyoungbl screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 12:45 PM Reason: Add photo of light installed on crash bar
pyoungbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #3818
kirb
should be out riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
It would take about 2 seconds to check for the wires going to the grips. If they have the bike, then I'm not sure how there would be any uncertainty.
My dealer's floor is full of sleds, it's 30 degrees, and my bike is in storage. That is the reason it cannot be confirmed at this point. I suspect the bike doesn't have them, but they at least will take care of it if wrong.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #3819
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Distance traveled between low fuel light on and dry tank

So, last night ended up being a bit of an experiment. My low fuel light came on during my ride into work and 1 bar was showing on the gauge. I figured I'd stop on my way home and fill up. Well....it was a long day and I just wanted to head for the barn, so I bypassed the stations on my home and pulled into the garage with no bars showing and 41 miles since the low fuel light had come on. This morning I finally fueled up at a station near my house and filled it right to the top......7.3 gallons, 42 miles since the light came on. That means I still had another 1+ gallons in the tank for yet another 35-40 miles. 260 miles were showing on the trip for that tank, so the range looks to be around 300 miles of "all roads" riding (surface streets to 75mph + freeway blasting).

My question to you other Stelviites (tm) : Do you have approx. 2 gallons left when your low fuel light comes on?

-SM
Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #3820
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
I finally installed replacement aux lights on my NTX. These are Mondo Moto http://www.mondomotos.com/ and considerably smaller than the Hella items that came on my NTX.

The new lights are half the weight of the Hellas. In my garage the new lights seem as bright as the old ones.

Peter Y.
Looks good Peter! I love the size and the fact that they're 3m submersible. The Hella's are completely open to the elements and I doubt they would survive a water crossing.

Did you order the MM10 "Lights only" option and just tie into the existing wiring?

Any pics of them mounted on the bike?

Thanks!

-SM
Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #3821
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
My question to you other Stelviites (tm) : Do you have approx. 2 gallons left when your low fuel light comes on?
Yes, and I think it's annoying. It really just means that you're a little below 1/4 tank, nowhere near "low" yet. To be fair, though, this is consistent with the specs (8.5 gallon fuel capacity, 1.8 gallon reserve).
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #3822
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,801
Quote:

-SM
Mine comes on having used 6.25/6.5 gallons without fail. I've pushed it a few times to 60+ miles on reserve on a 8 gallon fill-up
Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #3823
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Thanks guys, and thanks James for the reminder of the spec re. 1.8 gallon reserve. I had forgotten about that. Now it make sense why the low fuel light would come on so early as that's a HUGE reserve.

I wonder if this is something that can be adjusted by the dealer?

-SM
Old 01-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #3824
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:

-SM
That's been my experience, too. And, shouldn't it be "Stelvioites"?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #3825
kirb
should be out riding

Quote:
Thanks guys, and thanks James for the reminder of the spec re. 1.8 gallon reserve. I had forgotten about that. Now it make sense why the low fuel light would come on so early as that's a HUGE reserve.

I wonder if this is something that can be adjusted by the dealer?
-SM
I doubt this could be adjusted by the dealer, but it MIGHT be an ECU tweak since it is reading and sending fuel level to the dash. Someone who could decode the ECU might be able to do it, but it's a lot of work.