Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #3826
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
So...discussing the sale with the dealer today. Wanted to get the heated grips. They said it comes with them. I mentioned that the 2012s had the sofware/hardware for the grips, but no grips were included. They stated they are included on the 2013 bikes and are about 90% sure the bike has them on already. They will put them on if they are incorrect.

Another 2013 tidbit.
Everybody was so sure the 2012s would come with heated grips, even the dealers. It was plastered all over MGs website, in reviews, etc., but it wasn't true.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #3827
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Did you order the MM10 "Lights only" option and just tie into the existing wiring?

Any pics of them mounted on the bike?

-SM
No photos of them installed, just too lazy to roll the bike out of the garage on a 38F day. That will happen in a day or two. I should have ordered the 'lights only' option but did not know how much wire would come with the lights. The wiring that comes is really high quality, as are the connectors. I'll use the relay and the connectors on something else so the extra $40 is not a total loss.

Peter Y.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #3828
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
[QUOTE=Sock Monkey;20518785]
My question to you other Stelviites: Do you have approx. 2 gallons left when your low fuel light comes on? -SM/QUOTE]

Yes, when my light comes on I will fill with only 6.5 Ga. I'm OK with that since it has been consistent since I bought the bike. I've not pushed it to see how far I can go after that time -- ie; how much is left in the tank that can not be used because of the pick up location. I guess I should do that some time just for the knowledge factor.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #3829
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
So, last night ended up being a bit of an experiment. My low fuel light came on during my ride into work and 1 bar was showing on the gauge. I figured I'd stop on my way home and fill up. Well....it was a long day and I just wanted to head for the barn, so I bypassed the stations on my home and pulled into the garage with no bars showing and 41 miles since the low fuel light had come on. This morning I finally fueled up at a station near my house and filled it right to the top......7.3 gallons, 42 miles since the light came on. That means I still had another 1+ gallons in the tank for yet another 35-40 miles. 260 miles were showing on the trip for that tank, so the range looks to be around 300 miles of "all roads" riding (surface streets to 75mph + freeway blasting).

My question to you other Stelviites (tm) : Do you have approx. 2 gallons left when your low fuel light comes on?

-SM
Same thing with mine.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #3830
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
No photos of them installed, just too lazy to roll the bike out of the garage on a 38F day. That will happen in a day or two. I should have ordered the 'lights only' option but did not know how much wire would come with the lights. The wiring that comes is really high quality, as are the connectors. I'll use the relay and the connectors on something else so the extra $40 is not a total loss.

Peter Y.
No worries Peter. Thanks for the info.

I may have to order a set of these if I can't get my Hellas sorted. I'll give myself this weekend to fix my bulb (soldering to tungsten is nigh impossible so I need to come up with a plan B) and get my lights working again. After that......

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #3831
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,006
Quote:
No worries Peter. Thanks for the info.

I may have to order a set of these if I can't get my Hellas sorted. I'll give myself this weekend to fix my bulb (soldering to tungsten is nigh impossible so I need to come up with a plan B) and get my lights working again. After that......

-SM

Those look like great lights. The smaller size is a big plus for me, and they'll be easy to use with the existing wiring.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #3832
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 349
SM, I have a pair of Hellas to offer at a great price!

Peter Y.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #3833
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
SM, I have a pair of Hellas to offer at a great price!

Peter Y.

You can have mine too. They still work but they're just all bent out of shape.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #3834
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Thanks guys, but if I can't get my Hella's to cooperate, I'm going with the LEDs. Then my Hella's will be up for auction too (just slightly burnt....and not working..... ).

-SM
Old 01-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #3835
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
[QUOTE=Chuck in Indiana;20519262][QUOTE=Sock Monkey;20518785]
My question to you other Stelviites: Do you have approx. 2 gallons left when your low fuel light comes on? -SM/QUOTE]

Yes, same as others. 2012 NTX with the last fuel bar showing it takes 6.5 gallons to fill it up.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #3836
MadMike20
The Seeker

Oddometer: 29
My 2013 Stelvio NTX delivered on December 15, 2012 had no heated grips. I had pre-ordered them before the price on them crashed so the dealer installed them for free along with the Euro turn signal conversion.

I placed in line fuses in the Hellas and am currently installing MotoLites on the calipers. I like the MotoLites cause I can run em all day and not annoy oncoming traffic. Whenever I run the stock aux lights, I manage to get get flashed by oncoming traffic.
So far other Mods include:

Taller windshield from CalSci
Zumo 350lm hard wired into aux fuse block, tripped by a relay from the stock GPS power supply
Cig light to Powerlet conversion
Addititional Powerlet installed on crashbar
Carc Vent above the waterline
Helped the Evap Canister "fall off"
Givi Trekker Top Case with rack/backrest

The Gas Light comes on way early on mine also. 6.5 gallons before I start making a mess. My 2007 Norge did the same thing...6 gallon tank and I would pull over with the light on only to put 4.5 in it.

This bike Rocks...I knew it did the first mile or so. So many times I have ridden a newly purchased bike and mumbled to myself "what have you done?" Not this time. Just waiting for the weather to break so I can tack on the remaining 400 miles or so for the first service.

Good Times!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #3837
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike20 View Post
I placed in line fuses in the Hellas and am currently installing MotoLites on the calipers.
Be sure to pop the rubber caps off the back of your Hellas and make sure the excess wire is coiled in that rubber cap and NOT inside the light housing. Wires rubbing on the inside of the light housing seems to be the "kiss of death" for my lights, Toad's, and a few others.

-SM
Old 01-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #3838
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike20 View Post

This bike Rocks...I knew it did the first mile or so. So many times I have ridden a newly purchased bike and mumbled to myself "what have you done?" Not this time. Just waiting for the weather to break so I can tack on the remaining 400 miles or so for the first service.

Good Times!
Congrats! It's a great bike. I flew to the dealership to pick up mine, never having ridden one. Left the shop at 11:00am and rode it 300 miles to a motel, stopping for lunch and gas. I put on 750 miles in the first 4 days.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #3839
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,374
My low fuel light went on yesterday on the way in at 240 miles. I filled it up today at 254 miles just after the last bar went away, taking 6.55 gallons. (38.8mpg - all city miles)

It always has two gallons left when the low fuel light comes on, I usually have more miles on the odo. Recently it's been in the low 20F temps in the morning, 30's and 40's afternoon.

On road trips I've gone over 320 miles a few times, never come within a gallon of being empty if it holds 8.45 actual.

Quote:
So, last night ended up being a bit of an experiment. My low fuel light came on during my ride into work and 1 bar was showing on the gauge. I figured I'd stop on my way home and fill up. Well....it was a long day and I just wanted to head for the barn, so I bypassed the stations on my home and pulled into the garage with no bars showing and 41 miles since the low fuel light had come on. This morning I finally fueled up at a station near my house and filled it right to the top......7.3 gallons, 42 miles since the light came on. That means I still had another 1+ gallons in the tank for yet another 35-40 miles. 260 miles were showing on the trip for that tank, so the range looks to be around 300 miles of "all roads" riding (surface streets to 75mph + freeway blasting).

My question to you other Stelviites (tm) : Do you have approx. 2 gallons left when your low fuel light comes on?

-SM
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #3840
Toadride
NTXer

Oddometer: 773
Any of us previous 09 F800GS owners will be inclined to think that MG took a lesson from Beemer. Our fuel mileage computer readouts and countdowns were way out of whack at first leading me to run out of gas three times before an update fixed it. One was at 8kms left in town and the worst was at 32kms left (or to go before empty) in the middle of nowhere. So, I for one am happy with the huge reserve. Better to be warned way in advanced than to run out. And I did let it stretch out once for a little too long before I found a station. Actually had me getting a bit worried. Turned out I still had half a gallon in there.