Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #3886
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I received the MyTech Tool Case today. I was able to fit my Slime compressor, tire plug kit and a first aid kit. The Slime compressor case has to be worked in under the locking tab but it does go in. That's about all that will fit but I'm satisfied with that. I was hoping to add a small tool kit but it won't fit.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #3887
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Here is the compressor in the tool case.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:07 AM   #3888
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Thanks for posting the pictures.

I asked Calimero on the Guzzi site what the internal dimensions were on his. He said 95mm (3.75") Wide, 152mm (6.00") High, 350mm (13.78") Deep. It's a nice looking container but not large enough (particularly the width) to fit the items I need/want to carry. That is why I went with the 6" PVC tubing.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #3889
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demar39 View Post
Here is the compressor in the tool case.
Thanks much for the pics! I want something to hold my slime kit and tool roll, and this may be just the ticket.

How watertight is the box? Is there a good seal around the door?

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #3890
mikep95
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Just as an FYI. I ordered the factory tank bag for my 2012 NTX and it fits horribly. My dealer tells me it's the right PN for the bike but after looking at the earlier model, they obviously haven't changed the bag to suit the new tank. I've since bought and plan on using a Chase Harper Sport Tour bag.
mikep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #3891
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

As another FYI, everyone should check their positive battery terminal connection. I happened to peek at mine as I was dryin' the big girl off after the soaking we got a few days ago and there was a LOT of corrosion on the lead and the terminal. Cleaned up with a wire brush and some battery terminal spray to keep it from happening again.

-SM
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #3892
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep95 View Post
Just as an FYI. I ordered the factory tank bag for my 2012 NTX and it fits horribly. My dealer tells me it's the right PN for the bike but after looking at the earlier model, they obviously haven't changed the bag to suit the new tank. I've since bought and plan on using a Chase Harper Sport Tour bag.
As far as tank bags go, the Wolfman Rainier is a great choice if you want a big one. I have one but don't use it too much because I feel like it gets in my way a bit. If you want a smaller one, the Wolfman small Expedition tank bag is great. You can see mine on my Stelvio in this picture from today's ride:

James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #3893
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,786
The Wolfman Explorer tank bag fits perfectly.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #3894
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 724
FWIW, The Giant Loop bag fits pretty decently and is pretty near waterproof.

1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #3895
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
FWIW, The Giant Loop bag fits pretty decently and is pretty near waterproof.

I see you've got my only other shoes strapped on there. Crocs.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #3896
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
How do you like the MRA? I liked what it did for my FJR, but hated the bubble edge that gathered light for any angle. You can ditch the 'arms' and just pivot off the mounts. This sometimes will tighten things up a bit and get the parts count down a few.

I just got the Wunderlich screen in today. When the bike comes home to roost I will have a few days of farkle time.
So far so good. Had her up to 90mph on the way in today (just for the sake of testing the wing ) and the reduction in buffeting at those speeds is pretty dramatic. I notice it less at the usual speeds of 70-75mph, but it's still doing it's job. Note that I've got it set as shown in the pics in my previous post, so it's at its lowest setting possible and my stock screen is all the way up. I can still see over the wing (6'0" w/ 33" inseam, so long(ish) legs but shorter torso), which is exactly what I wanted. If I want the Goldwing experience, I can easily flip the locking tabs open, move the wing up, then lock it in place......a 30 second job (on the side of the road....NOT while moving).

The only downside I see with it so far is I opted for the additional clamp kit so I didn't have to drill my screen, and the clamps are solid steel and VERY heavy. They easily add 50-100% of the total weight of the wing, and as a result it does make everything wobble over rough roads (rock solid on smooth surfaces). I did this because I didn't want to modify my stock screen just to find out the wing didn't work. I'll leave it this way for now, but I can see where this may be an issue off-road. To remedy that, I can either bite the bullet and drill my stock screen and not use the clamps, or just remove the wing if I'm going on an off-road adventure (would take about 2-3 minutes to remove). Time will tell which way I go.

More later as I get more time with it, but so far I'm really digging it.

-SM
Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #3897
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
That's a great looking bike at a great location. Badlands, right?
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #3898
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
More later as I get more time with it, but so far I'm really digging it.
-SM
I was very happy with the Wunderlich, but lost most of the ability to raise and lower the screen. I moved it about 1/2 way up to get the full effect. Fully low was OK at everything sub-80.

I am REALLY thinking about having some shields made up that add about 1-2" in height over stock, but have a curve at the top edge. I suspect this would solve 90% of users problems while keeping the adjustability of the current system. I like the shape of the shield except for the last 2". Not a big fan of what Calsci did with theirs.

Maybe an adapter setup for Givi's screen for the pre-NTX?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #3899
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I am REALLY thinking about having some shields made up that add about 1-2" in height over stock, but have a curve at the top edge. I suspect this would solve 90% of users problems while keeping the adjustability of the current system. I like the shape of the shield except for the last 2". Not a big fan of what Calsci did with theirs.

Maybe an adapter setup for Givi's screen for the pre-NTX?
I cut a piece of Lexan and used some Dual-lock that I had laying around to attach it to the top of the stock NTX screen. It added about 2 1/2" to the overall height of the stock screen. If anything, that was worse than stock! Not sure why, but my guess is it just added to the negative pressure behind the stocker and therefore increased the buffeting. The MRA wing, on the other hand, allows the wind to get behind it, which seems to throw the main flow of air over the top of my head, very much like a Laminar Lip (which I had on my Ducati and it was horrible ).

The evening commute home will be the real test of the Xcreen. I'm usually riding into a 15-20mph headwind and with the stock screen all the way up it can really cause my helmet to vibrate. I'm hoping my high speed test this morning simulated my 70mph + 20mph headwind ride home and it will be smooooooth.

-SM
Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #3900
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,463
Drop that screen down most of the way, put your seat in the high position and stick your melon out in the breeze.