Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #3961
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post

Hey guys, I just want to derail this discussion before it gets so far. The ABS and TC on the Stelvio are on par with other bikes, so let's move this inevitable debate over to a more appropriate venue like the perfect line and save this thread for Stelvio-specific discussion.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #3962
Nextmove
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Agree with James, but before this gets shifted I'm sticking another 2c in.

I find the whole heated, and often nasty argument in many forums about ABS etc both on track and road a bit weird. If you think you're that good without it, fine by me. If you don't, then choose to have it and use it. Each to his own, and everyone's entitled to a polite opinion.

I'm 64 this year and have been riding since I was 17, albeit with a few breaks. I've lost count of the number of bikes I've had, but until recently most were not highly sophisticated in the brakes and handling departments, and early ones were held together with chewing gum.

Twelve years ago on a (then) modern bike with "good" brakes I ended up jammed under the front bumper of a car driven by an escapee from the local geriatric home who pulled out on the left right across my path (this is Australia, so for Yanks and Euros imagine someone pulling out from the right), then suddenly stopped right in front of me. No logical reason, and yes, she had seen me, but couldn't recall why she stopped. I hope they upped her medication and took her keys away.

For the first time in my life I locked up the front end and that was the end of my ride. A much better rider than me (bike cop) who helped drag me out from under the car (fortunately the old chook kept her foot on the brake), had seen the whole thing, and said he doubted that anyone but a real expert would have been able to avoid either a lock-up or a T-boning. ABS was, as far as I recall, a fairly exotic idea for bikes at that stage. Maybe it would've helped, at least to make me go over the bonnet at low speed instead of underneath at fairly high speed. I may have even been able to stop altogether. If I'd been on my Stelvio I know I could've stopped in time.

The Stelvio is only my second bike with ABS, and it was the lack of ABS on my dream bike (Griso) that was the main deal breaker. I KNOW I'm not as constantly alert and focussed, and that my decision making is slower than it was 10-20 years ago. I don't begin to kid myself that I'm as "good" as I (used to like to think) was. (We also have a very high kangaroo population in my area, and they have as much road sense, and move just as fast and unexpectedly, as deer.)

So I ride more sensibly now than I did in my prime, but I also welcome the electronic safety aids that are now available, and getting better all the time. And if they help a new generation of riders brought up on ABS and traction control in cars to stay alive, and to keep the insurance premiums down and speed limits up, I'm happy.
Nextmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #3963
vivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Ok, so my lava black stelvio is at the dealer... the panniers somehow have gone missing in shipping. I have the dealer do the Euro signals and somehow only one mirror was sent. My heated grips won't arrive until 2/12 and it snowed last night.

Apparently I'm a new Stelvio owner, sort of. Traded my griso and am looking forwarded to actually taking my bike home.

I was thinking of a GPR tri oval slip on but I believe the 13's might have a different diameter link pipe. Is that correct? Has anyone ordered a slip on for an earlier model and will they fit?

Vivo
vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #3964
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post

Hey guys, I just want to derail this discussion before it gets so far. The ABS and TC on the Stelvio are on par with other bikes, so let's move this inevitable debate over to a more appropriate venue like the perfect line and save this thread for Stelvio-specific discussion.
Good idea. How?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #3965
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

[QUOTE=MadMike20;20639124]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Dumb, Delusional, Arrogant...sure is fun getting in a pissing contest with you. Nonetheless, I purchased the bike and the ATC was off...never really could tell the difference when the ATC was turned on. Asked the forum what the their experience was and form now on will have it turned on. I get it now. Done deal.
Question though...with your litany of benefits regarding computer aided riding devises...how is it you haven't gone running and screaming to a dealer, and purchased a bike that has ATC, rain modes, sport modes, torque vectoring or whatever the hell else they put on bikes these days? My mistake if you your Capanord has all these gizmos's.
Pissing contest? Mate, I'm being friendly - nothing here I woldn't say IRL -and more!
If you couldn't tell the difference - that's good, because you're not riding the bike at 100% of traction. You have a safety reserve.
My neice's friend believed that it was quite normal for the brake pedal in her car to pulse when she was braking - that's the way she'd been taught. She was habitually at the very edge of braking capability: no more left, no extra margin - in a novice driver, that's scary.
Why don't I have an all-singing bike? Well for a number of reasons: I'm having a lot of fun flying small aircraft, have cut back drastically on my road-riding and only do about 30,000 km a year now; as a family, we spend much more time riding trail bikes in the bush - where TC and ABS would be beneficial, but cut the fun. Also, with about a dozen bikes, to upgrade them all would be a tad expensive; some are keepers from our youth, but the daily riders don't owe us a great deal; my modern bike of choice would be, in order 1. Stelvio; 2. Tigerette XC; 3. F700. As noted elsewhere, the Stelvio here is significantly over-priced and I'm not about to stick a lot of money into a bike that's only going to see bitumen a couple of times a month.
As an ex-racer and rider/driving tutor, the street is a scary place sometimes and I'm a pretty conservative road rider - it doesn't take a lot of skill to pin the throttle. I still do the occasional track day and I'm very aware that at 56, my reactions, muscle speed and eysight have deteriorated. It's a universal fact of life. The adage about old riders and bold riders applies.
But you have your ATC on now - for that I'm genuinely glad. Now go enjoy your Stelvio!
Oh and BTW: it's CapOnord ('s actually - we have 2) - not CapAnord.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #3966
MadMike20
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
[QUOTE=Precis;20642389]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike20 View Post

Pissing contest? Mate, I'm being friendly - nothing here I woldn't say IRL -and more!
If you couldn't tell the difference - that's good, because you're not riding the bike at 100% of traction. You have a safety reserve.
My neice's friend believed that it was quite normal for the brake pedal in her car to pulse when she was braking - that's the way she'd been taught. She was habitually at the very edge of braking capability: no more left, no extra margin - in a novice driver, that's scary.
Why don't I have an all-singing bike? Well for a number of reasons: I'm having a lot of fun flying small aircraft, have cut back drastically on my road-riding and only do about 30,000 km a year now; as a family, we spend much more time riding trail bikes in the bush - where TC and ABS would be beneficial, but cut the fun. Also, with about a dozen bikes, to upgrade them all would be a tad expensive; some are keepers from our youth, but the daily riders don't owe us a great deal; my modern bike of choice would be, in order 1. Stelvio; 2. Tigerette XC; 3. F700. As noted elsewhere, the Stelvio here is significantly over-priced and I'm not about to stick a lot of money into a bike that's only going to see bitumen a couple of times a month.
As an ex-racer and rider/driving tutor, the street is a scary place sometimes and I'm a pretty conservative road rider - it doesn't take a lot of skill to pin the throttle. I still do the occasional track day and I'm very aware that at 56, my reactions, muscle speed and eysight have deteriorated. It's a universal fact of life. The adage about old riders and bold riders applies.
But you have your ATC on now - for that I'm genuinely glad. Now go enjoy your Stelvio!
Oh and BTW: it's CapOnord ('s actually - we have 2) - not CapAnord.
THATS It! Now you've done it...not only is my overall mileage low but now I don't even need ATC cause my riding style is pathetic. I'm going out right now and pulling 1200 mile days in the middle of winter at WOT until I feel the ATC kick in...
After that, they'll find me underneath a bridge, the authorities will place me in a strait jacket, and I'll be screaming and kicking while I utter your name and the proper spelling of CapOnord over and over....

All in good fun my friend
Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #3967
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

[QUOTE=MadMike20;20643965]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post

THATS It! Now you've done it...not only is my overall mileage low but now I don't even need ATC cause my riding style is pathetic. I'm going out right now and pulling 1200 mile days in the middle of winter at WOT until I feel the ATC kick in...
After that, they'll find me underneath a bridge, the authorities will place me in a strait jacket, and I'll be screaming and kicking while I utter your name and the proper spelling of CapOnord over and over....

All in good fun my friend
Hah! I thought your end of the world was blanketed in that white stuff you find on high mountains?
I've seen those crazy Germans riding in the that stuff - not for this dusky duck, I can tell you!
And shouldn't you be watching a soupbowl or something? I heard it mentioned in passing, but didn't get what it was all about; saw some pictures of rugby players wearing motocross armour and lady's stockings too - that it?
You guys sure have some funny games...
Yep, all in good fun!

Don't worry about spelling - ever noticed how few folk can spell Moto Guzzi?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #3968
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 133
Changing the subject slightly. I frequently am overtaken by cars and motorcycles on my local roads. Mostly on the straights. Corners don't slow me down a lot. So when I see someone close in my mirrors I slow some to allow them to pass, but often they just drop back and then I lose them in the corners.

I have figured out now that when they see the NTX they are extremely curious to find out more. They have to catch up to check it out. Also when I pass a construction crew on the roadside, or a logging crew, work stops as they stare and wonder. Everyone here is intimately familiar with Harleys but the Guzzi seems to blow their minds. Too bad we don't have a Guzzi dealer in SC.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #3969
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngngnthr View Post
Changing the subject slightly. I frequently am overtaken by cars and motorcycles on my local roads. Mostly on the straights. Corners don't slow me down a lot. So when I see someone close in my mirrors I slow some to allow them to pass, but often they just drop back and then I lose them in the corners.

I have figured out now that when they see the NTX they are extremely curious to find out more. They have to catch up to check it out. Also when I pass a construction crew on the roadside, or a logging crew, work stops as they stare and wonder. Everyone here is intimately familiar with Harleys but the Guzzi seems to blow their minds. Too bad we don't have a Guzzi dealer in SC.
Maybe it's not the bike but the rider that has their curiosity up. Did that ever occur to you?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #3970
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
A few pics from yesterday's ride on The Old Federal Road in Alabama:

leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #3971
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by hngngnthr View Post
I have figured out now that when they see the NTX they are extremely curious to find out more.
I've had a lot of people who want to check out the NTX or Griso. You usually get comments like
'Hmmm, never heard of that' (usually from HD guys)
'My dad had one of those in the 70's' (does he want to sell?...wait, guzzi owners never sell)
'They still make those?' (well, I didn't make it myself)
'So, kinda like a Harley?' (uh, not in the least)

I also had a a guy on a HD roll up next to me, told his 'old lady' that I was riding a Moto Guzzi, the sherman tanks of motorcycles.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #3972
mentalfloss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
If anyone is on here lurking and looking for a Stelvio, there are two really nice '09's for sale on the MGNOC. Both low mileage, both red. Prices are 9000 and 9999. Pretty good deals. No connection to sellers.

http://mgnoc.com/classifieds.html
I have mine for sale on e bay for less!
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #3973
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
A few pics from yesterday's ride on The Old Federal Road in Alabama:
LF60, what's the story with that backrest? I need to get something make my wife more comfortable.

TIA
Old 02-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #3974
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
LF60, what's the story with that backrest? I need to get something make my wife more comfortable.

TIA

I custom made it. Use a Harley sissy bar and steel. Fitting takes some creativity.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #3975
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Hey Leifer, that road looks yucky muddy and your NTX looks soooooo clean.