That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,506
Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #4024
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
SM, I was just looking at the MRA wing on Twisted Throttle. Would you recommend the permanent bolt on option? Where did you get yours?
I got mine from Twisted Throttle, and based on my experience so far, I'd say as long as you're comfortable with drilling your main screen (still scares the pee out of me for fear I'll screw it up and crack my screen), then go for it and just get the permanent bolt-on version. It saves a fair bit of $$ over the clamp-on version, saves a LOT of weight (easily saves 50% of the weight of the clamps....those things are solid steel and HEAVY), and you'll likely end up drilling your screen and mounting it in the end anyway.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #4025
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 126
Conventional turn signal/mirror came off

My left mirror/turn signal just fell off the other day and was dangling by the wire to the light. I've got the dang thing duct taped on now.

If one of you guys has a left turn mirror/light that works I'll be happy to pay for it and shipping to me in SC. At the same time maybe give some directions on how to install it.

Strange that it just broke at the ball/socket and fell away. The bike has never yet hit the ground and I was just bopping along my merry way on smooth pavement when it trashed itself. The bulb was still working for awhile but now it's quit and I have a red warning on my dash.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #4026
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by hngngnthr View Post
If one of you guys has a left turn mirror/light that works I'll be happy to pay for it and shipping to me in SC. At the same time maybe give some directions on how to install it.
I'm pretty sure I still have a pair of OEM mirrors/turn signals. I'll double check and send you a photo. What's your email?

If I were you I'd take this opportunity to change over to the euro setup. You will suddenly have a clear view of what is behind you because the mirrors will no longer shake. There are threads here and at GuzziTech.com detailing how to install the euro signals. It's tedious but not really hard.

Peter Y.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #4027
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by hngngnthr View Post
My left mirror/turn signal just fell off the other day and was dangling by the wire to the light. I've got the dang thing duct taped on now.

Strange that it just broke at the ball/socket and fell away. The bike has never yet hit the ground and I was just bopping along my merry way on smooth pavement when it trashed itself. The bulb was still working for awhile but now it's quit and I have a red warning on my dash.
Hmmmm...This all sounds strangly familiar.

Check out how they were held together. So lame!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #4028
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Hmmmm...This all sounds strangly familiar.

Check out how they were held together. So lame!
How did you get pictures of my mirror? I'm PMing pyoungbl with my email.

Thanks so much pyoungbl for responding.

I actually like the stock signals/mirror and don't really care about the background vibrating. Very few catch up with me anyway, ha ha
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #4029
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
I wouldn't get too fond of em
Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #4030
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
I wouldn't get too fond of em
OK, they suck, but I'm going with Peter's take offs. When the next one breaks I'll surrender and go Euro.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #4031
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 727
It's the way St. Carlo intended the bike to look.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #4032
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,347
Addressed to those discussing sag and preload,

Sag can be a matter of personal preference, but setting it to 10% of total wheel travel (suggested above) is much too little in my view, in fact, I've never seen such a recommended number for street bikes (any type of). Typical sag measurements range between 25% - 35% of wheel travel (track bikes generally at the lower number) and sometimes more for even taller bikes (longer travel). For a bike such as the Stelvio (170mm front wheel travel), a more conventional sag measurement would be about 60mm or 2.35" (metric is more commonly used) for the front alone.

Talk to your shop or any suspension pro here, I'd be surprised to hear that 10% of wheel travel is the right number.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #4033
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
Read up on suspension set-up. There are various opinions about it.

The 25mm number above would fall in line with many "experts" regarding track running with slightly more, say 30 mm, for normal street riding.

Dirt bike applications require much more.

Using a percentage formula is not always the best way to go.

Ive had an Ohlins-equipped 1200GS that I ran with about an inch of sag and it worked well for me. I think many folks would want more sag than that. My Stelvio is running with more than that too.

Having a little more rebound travel left in the suspension provides a smoother, more surface-compliant ride, especially on non-paved situations.

Of course, sag (static and laden) is only one variable. Compression and rebound dampening are related and affect the performance of any sag setting. Fork oil viscosity also has a huge impact on all the variables.

A good source to begin with is the standard Ohlins manual here.

http://www.ohlins.com/Products/Owner...M_07241-02.pdf

This is just a guide and other sources have their ideas. Check with Race Tech, Works Performance, Progressive Suspension and others for their tweaks.

Im 205-210 lbs depending on weekly dietary habits and the stock suggested settings for the Stelvio work great for me. I do run more spring preload on the rear, however.

I have an Ohlins-equipped BMW R1200S that is set almost exactly as suggested by the Ohlins manual and it's the best-performing suspension of any road bike I've ever owned.

leafman60 screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 07:56 AM
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #4034
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,347
On a street bike that might have 120mm of wheel travel, 25mm-35mm would be the suggested range, and also around that 25%-30% of wheel travel number. The thing is, ADV bikes have long travel suspensions as you say, I don't think the same variables apply. As I originally said, personal preference will always play a part.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #4035
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post

A nice little ride today.
I was thinking that maybe the ride, especially off pavement, might be more stable using side cases in lieu of the top heavy top box which also shifts the C.G. to the rear? I'm not trying to criticize, just curious.

Beautiful bike. The color I would have gotten if it had been available.