Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #4036
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by hngngnthr View Post
I was thinking that maybe the ride, especially off pavement, might be more stable using side cases in lieu of the top heavy top box which also shifts the C.G. to the rear? I'm not trying to criticize, just curious.

Beautiful bike. The color I would have gotten if it had been available.
The box wasn't very full. It only contained a small pump and tire plug kit. For heavy off road, I'd rather not have it or the side cases for that matter. Other than some minor sand, this road wasn't challenging though it is closed to non 4X4 machines.

The Stevlio did handle this road significantly easier than the 08 GSA I formerly owned. I find I'm really enjoying the elegant simplicity of this bike over the busy lines of the GSA too. In addition, even though I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam it is easier to manage. That GSA with a RDL was borderline too tall for me in difficult situations.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #4037
ViperJustin
Back in school...

Oddometer: 634
I just took a look at the Stelvio for the first time yesterday. It's a pretty impressive bike. I couldn't believe that there's an 8.5 gallon gas tank on that bike. It so small compared to a GSA. I sat on it and the ergos felt pretty good. I'm 6'5", with a 36" inseam. And the exhaust headers look pretty damn cool!

I'm just starting to go through this thread, but can someone summarize the pros and cons of this bike?

Thanks!
08 MegaMoto #99529 For sale. PM for details.
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #4038
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

I sold an 08 GSA back in September after ordering this bike. I was led to the Stevlio by the Griso I purchased back in May.

The pros for me:

1. The motor sings in a way that the boxer just can't.
2. The bikes design is cleaner and more elegant. Of course YVMV.
3. It punches a cleaner hole in the wind. This translates into better highway performance. It's going to be more difficult to keep from speeding on this bike.
4. It has better torque at low rpms, it'll chug along in first gear at idle all day long.
5. It's got a lower center of gravity. That translates into a more flickable bike at speed and a more maneuverable bike at low speeds.
6. The stock seat is impressive, may not need the aftermarket replacement like every BMW I've owned.
7. It's not quite as tall as the GSA but the ergonomics are very similar. Plenty of room for me at 6'2" and a little easier to manage in difficult conditions.
8. It's CARC final drive has a sterling reputation for reliability.
9. It's oil cooler doesn't dump hot air right in your lap.
10. You won't be hitting your shins on the cylinders.
11. No canbus electrical system.
12. A working fuel gauge.
13. No ESA
14. It's much better looking

The cons.
1. You will feel a bit more vibration from this motor.
2. Sparse dealer network. Not a deal breaker for me, I'm 300 miles from the nearest Guzzi or BMW dealer.
3. The farkle network isn't nearly as well developed. Again no biggie, there is still plenty of crap to buy to "personalize" the bike if one wants to.
4. BMW's tail is a bit longer so the top box doesn't look like its cantilevered out into space.
5. No ESA
Old 02-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #4039
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin View Post
I just took a look at the Stelvio for the first time yesterday. It's a pretty impressive bike. I couldn't believe that there's an 8.5 gallon gas tank on that bike. It so small compared to a GSA. I sat on it and the ergos felt pretty good. I'm 6'5", with a 36" inseam. And the exhaust headers look pretty damn cool!

I'm just starting to go through this thread, but can someone summarize the pros and cons of this bike?

Thanks!
Stevie88 summed it up nicely. One thing to check is if your knees hit the valve covers at all. Mine do if I scoot too far forward in the seat, but it's not really a problem. The other thing is that bolts tend to vibrate themselves loose, so it's good to check frequently for the first few thousand miles to find the most likely victims and use some threadlocker to keep them snug. I've lost a rear wheel bolt (and nearly the other three as well), both bolts that hold the bottom of the rear fender/license plate holder, and one upper engine mount bolt so far.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #4040
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:

Thanks!
One note since it sounds like you're new to the brand/model. In the US, only the 2012+ models have the larger tank. The 2009-2011 have a smaller tank.

Re. Pros/Cons, I had a GS and the niggly stuff on that bike drove me bonkers (high oil consumption, rear brake ate itself, final drive leaked, fuel gauge was faulty, tires constantly lost pressure, etc) and so far (touch wood), the Stelvio has been faultless. I replaced the mirror-mounted turn signals right away with the euro version so I never experienced the well-documented problems with those abominations, and my Hella aux lights self-destructed due to improper installation (replaced with some LED's that I'm very happy with). The bike itself just works as intended. No niggles. None. That's amazing given the issues I've had with EVERY new bike I've purchased in the last 10 years. The '12 Stelvio is the first one where all the bits work, and work well. That's the biggest "pro" in my book.

Try to test ride one. You'll know in 5 miles if it's for you or not.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #4041
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

One more thing. The front fender does run pretty close to the tire. That could be a problem in sticky mud.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #4042
MadMike20
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Motorcycle Consumer News Calls Stelvio a Copycat

Latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News states that the Stelvio along with the Yamaha Super Tenere, and the Triumph Explorere are basically copies of the best selling BMW GS. Writer states it is tatamount to Hero Worship and ruins their brands prestige.

Funny cause the reason I purchased a Stelvio was that it was the Anti- (current) GS in my opinion.

Reasons include:
Conventional front fork as opposed to a TelemaLever or whatever they call it
Symetrical headlights as opposed to goofy (one big one small ) headlights
No ugly Beak nose which was copied from Suzuki anyway.
Rock Solid rear drive as opposed to...well occasionally solid...

Don't really see how the Stelvio copied unless trying to stay within the Adventure Tourer category automatically makes a GS clone

Just me thinkin'
Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #4043
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 769
They also forget that this isn't Guzzi's first foray into the adventure bike thing. There were the Stornello ISDT's, NTX's and TT's, the Quota's and one could even use the Super Alce as the original adventure bike.

The Stelvio is merely an evolution of the stuff they've been building for years.

You're welcome BMW. :)
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648

WitchCityBallabio screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 01:46 PM
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #4044
ViperJustin
Back in school...

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
One more thing. The front fender does run pretty close to the tire. That could be a problem in sticky mud.
Mud shouldn't be an issue around here.

The MegaMoto is an awesome bike, but it's narrowly focused. Twisty mountain roads? Check. Everything else? There's a better bike out there. I'm looking at either a used GSA or something similar. The Stelvio I was looking at was a '12. Ultimately, I plan on riding to Alaska in the next few years. I want something that's reliable, fun, and full of character. Also something that I can ride on some dirt roads (death valley is just two hours away). I don't plan to ride singletrack with a big bike like this (or the GSA).

Thanks for all the info so far!
08 MegaMoto #99529 For sale. PM for details.
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #4045
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Mud shouldn't be an issue around here.

The MegaMoto is an awesome bike, but it's narrowly focused. Twisty mountain roads? Check. Everything else? There's a better bike out there. I'm looking at either a used GSA or something similar. The Stelvio I was looking at was a '12. Ultimately, I plan on riding to Alaska in the next few years. I want something that's reliable, fun, and full of character. Also something that I can ride on some dirt roads (death valley is just two hours away). I don't plan to ride singletrack with a big bike like this (or the GSA).

Thanks for all the info so far!
Either bike will serve you well for your intended purpose I believe. One more thing that I failed to include in my list is that the Stelvio is easier to service.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #4046
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I sold an 08 GSA back in September after ordering this bike. I was led to the Stevlio by the Griso I purchased back in May.

The pros for me:

1. The motor sings in a way that the boxer just can't.
2. The bikes design is cleaner and more elegant. Of course YVMV.
3. It punches a cleaner hole in the wind. This translates into better highway performance. It's going to be more difficult to keep from speeding on this bike.
4. It has better torque at low rpms, it'll chug along in first gear at idle all day long.
5. It's got a lower center of gravity. That translates into a more flickable bike at speed and a more maneuverable bike at low speeds.
6. The stock seat is impressive, may not need the aftermarket replacement like every BMW I've owned.
7. It's not quite as tall as the GSA but the ergonomics are very similar. Plenty of room for me at 6'2" and a little easier to manage in difficult conditions.
8. It's CARC final drive has a sterling reputation for reliability.
9. It's oil cooler doesn't dump hot air right in your lap.
10. You won't be hitting your shins on the cylinders.
11. No canbus electrical system.
12. A working fuel gauge.
13. No ESA
14. It's much better looking

The cons.
1. You will feel a bit more vibration from this motor.
2. Sparse dealer network. Not a deal breaker for me, I'm 300 miles from the nearest Guzzi or BMW dealer.
3. The farkle network isn't nearly as well developed. Again no biggie, there is still plenty of crap to buy to "personalize" the bike if one wants to.
4. BMW's tail is a bit longer so the top box doesn't look like its cantilevered out into space.
5. No ESA

Thanks! Good writeup.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #4047
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike20 View Post
Latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News states that the Stelvio along with the Yamaha Super Tenere, and the Triumph Explorere are basically copies of the best selling BMW GS. Writer states it is tatamount to Hero Worship and ruins their brands prestige.

Funny cause the reason I purchased a Stelvio was that it was the Anti- (current) GS in my opinion.

Reasons include:
Conventional front fork as opposed to a TelemaLever or whatever they call it
Symetrical headlights as opposed to goofy (one big one small ) headlights
No ugly Beak nose which was copied from Suzuki anyway.
Rock Solid rear drive as opposed to...well occasionally solid...

Don't really see how the Stelvio copied unless trying to stay within the Adventure Tourer category automatically makes a GS clone

Just me thinkin'

Go read it again.

He was speaking from a designer's perspective. What's important to him is that motorcycles are always on the leading edge of design. Therefore folks like him have more work.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #4048
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
They also forget that this isn't Guzzi's first foray into the adventure bike thing. There were the Stornello ISDT's, NTX's and TT's, the Quota's and one could even use the Super Alce as the original adventure bike.

The Stelvio is merely an evolution of the stuff they've been building for years.
+1

I see very little that the Stelvio "copied". Frame, engine, final drive, instruments, etc are all original Guzzi designs.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #4049
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Go read it again.

He was speaking from a designer's perspective. What's important to him is that motorcycles are always on the leading edge of design. Therefore folks like him have more work.
Let me guess, it was a Glenn Kerr article...
Old 02-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #4050
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Let me guess, it was a Glenn Kerr article...