Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #4141
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demar39 View Post
That stuff looks like the stuff in my son's diaper (a long time ago).
I once owned a ford pickup that was that exact color.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:39 AM   #4142
KIsley
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Question Stelvio vs GS

Considering the Stelvio vs the GS guys. Are there any issues I need to look at on a used 12. Any changes between the two. Not any dealers close , in fact only one in NC far as I know. Great looking bikes.
KIsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #4143
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIsley View Post
Considering the Stelvio vs the GS guys. Are there any issues I need to look at on a used 12. Any changes between the two. Not any dealers close , in fact only one in NC far as I know. Great looking bikes.
The stock aux lights don't seem to hold up very well and the bikes don't come equipped with heated grips.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #4144
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
I had an '07 GS and now a '12 Stelvio. Ask any questions you might have and I'll try to answer them. The short summary is both are great bikes, but the newer GS has had a fair amount of quality issues.

No issues on the '12 Stelvio itself. Everything just works, and works well. All the niggles seem to be tied to the aftermarket stuff that they put on it to make the NTX. Mainly, be sure the aux lights are properly installed with the excess wiring coiled in the rubber boot at the back of the lights. Mine was coiled inside the light body and self-destructed, as did many others.

Also, some complain of their Trax side cases leaking, so be mindful of the rubber seal around the lid and make sure it's not munged. I've heard there is a new seal on the Trax that come on the '13s, so that may be something to bargain for with the dealer if you plan to ride in lots of rain. Keep in mind the Trax panniers are made of tin foil.....one drop and they're likely toast. If you plan to do a bunch of off-roading, I would recommend negotiating that the dealer keep the Trax and discount the bike, then you can go buy some panniers that are more durable. Many will fit the SW Motech racks via adapters.

Before taking delivery, if the bike is a new '12, have them sync the throttle bodies and reset the TPS (throttle position sensor). A properly set up bike will run a LOT better than one that's not had that done during the PDI (which Piaggio/Guzzi really needs to change.....that one item causes a lot of complaints from folks early on).

No differences that I'm aware of between the '12 and '13 Stelvio other than an ongoing debate re. roller tappets on the newer bikes. Personally, my bike's valve train is pretty quiet, so I don't really care one way or the other, but some seem to be quite taken with the idea of getting roller tappets......

I hope that helps.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #4145
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 154
I got a chance to swing a leg over a 2009 white Stelvio, equipped with most of the gear to bring it in line with the NTX (which I am most interested). Coming from a narrow bike history (see below), I was SHOCKED at how narrow and comfortable the Stelvio was. The bike fit me VERY well and wasn't as heavy as I thought it was. Fit and finish left me extremely impressed. It was my first opportunity to see one in person. Much easier on the eyes than the Tiger 1200 and GSA (IMO of course).

I was VERY tempted to pick up the used model, but I really really want the larger NTX fuel cell. The dealer let me know they are getting two Lava Black NTX models in the next month or two and will call me for a test ride. I'm planning to take the Daytona's title with me... you know... just in case.

The curse of a bike-a-holic with limited garage space (and maintenance $$).

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS
Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #4146
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existence_Inc View Post
I got a chance to swing a leg over a 2009 white Stelvio, equipped with most of the gear to bring it in line with the NTX (which I am most interested). Coming from a narrow bike history (see below), I was SHOCKED at how narrow and comfortable the Stelvio was. The bike fit me VERY well and wasn't as heavy as I thought it was. Fit and finish left me extremely impressed. It was my first opportunity to see one in person. Much easier on the eyes than the Tiger 1200 and GSA (IMO of course).

I was VERY tempted to pick up the used model, but I really really want the larger NTX fuel cell. The dealer let me know they are getting two Lava Black NTX models in the next month or two and will call me for a test ride. I'm planning to take the Daytona's title with me... you know... just in case.

~Ex

I think you'll really like it. Too many of the Beemer guys are fixated upon the name and really don't know what they are missing.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #4147
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:

~Ex
I sat on one at the IMS in Montreal last weekend and that was exactly my impression. I couldn't believe how narrow it was and how close my knees were considering the tank fits 8.7 gallons.

My understanding is that the NTX model introduced a lot of accessories worth close to 3K while the price remained the same, so all of a sudden NTX was a much better deal. After seeing a few 2009 and 2010 bikes on sale it appears that both private sellers and dealers did not adjust the price accordingly. I know it sucks for you if you're trying to sell an older model. For example, a nearby dealer sells NTX for 16K and a 2010 model for 13.5K. Considering it's a 3 year old model and doesn't come with all of the extras, I don't see why anyone would go for the old model unless they really don't want any of those extras.

Yesterday I was cleaning up my bedroom and came across a 2010 review. The reviewer was saying the gas tank was too small, the warning light came on after 135 miles. Also, something about the fuel gauge not being granular enough, making it easy to run out of gas. In my opinions, the large tank makes it worth the extra cost. The NTX has the best range from the big bikes aside from KLR and GSA. I think GSA has the same size tank but I am not sure which one will take you further. If you believe my BMW dealer, that would be GSA but I have yet to meet a GSA rider that gets overall 55mpg as he claims the new ones do.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #4148
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I think you'll really like it. Too many of the Beemer guys are fixated upon the name and really don't know what they are missing.
I hope so. I'm not stuck on any brand name, I buy bikes that make sense to me financially and emotionally. If it is missing one or the other, it's a no go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
Yesterday I was cleaning up my bedroom and came across a 2010 review. The reviewer was saying the gas tank was too small, the warning light came on after 135 miles. Also, something about the fuel gauge not being granular enough, making it easy to run out of gas. In my opinions, the large tank makes it worth the extra cost. The NTX has the best range from the big bikes aside from KLR and GSA. I think GSA has the same size tank but I am not sure which one will take you further. If you believe my BMW dealer, that would be GSA but I have yet to meet a GSA rider that gets overall 55mpg as he claims the new ones do.
I'm hoping to take a new '13 GS out for a test ride as well, and will have access to a Tiger 1200 for a test ride to compare them to. I primarily road ride, but I find myself wanting to wander down some of the less explored roads (nothing technical as I have 0 dirt riding experience) and I haven't been able to do so since my Bonneville was totaled. I have taken the Daytona up a wet/muddy/rocky road a time or two before, it's nothing I would want to do too often. The lower radiator and low hanging exhaust/sump make the SF848 less than ideal even for those roads. I have considered maybe scrambling a Monster 796, but fuel tank range has left that option off the table for the time being.

An additional advantage for me is the combination of altitude and luck. I have been fortunate in both my cars and bikes to add a MINIMUM of 20% to the EPA estimates for avg mileage. My SF848 gets 48+, my Datyona get 55+ and my Bonneville was in the low 60s. Even my Honda Fit gets ~40mpg. Maybe I can rock 45-50mpg out of the NTX and really be set for long rides and "wandering" without fear of being stranded.

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS

Existence_Inc screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 11:19 AM Reason: Edited for Clarity
Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #4149
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 727
I've gotten nearly 160+ before the reserve light and 200 miles out of a tank on occassion on my 09. The fuel mileage didn't really settle in til about 10,000 miles.

I bought my 09 in '10 as a left over. Set up from the factory with the entire NTX package (with the exception of the narrower rear rim which I bought later) for 12,900.

The price was such that I couldn't not buy it.

There's some crazy deals out there on older model Stelvio's. Of course, there was a like new NTX on the flea market here for 15 something which is a ridiculous deal.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #4150
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Maybe I can rock 45-50mpg out of the NTX and really be set for long rides and "wandering" without fear of being stranded.

~Ex
You can get 40+ mpg on a NTX at sea level flogging it. DAMHIK. I would think you could get 50+ at elevation. With 8.5 gals on tap, that's....let's see...carry the 1.....a sh*tload of miles!

-SM
Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #4151
KIsley
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks for the info. I may take a look at the 2013. Seems like more bike for the money compared to the GS. What are the service intervals like , valve adjustments and such. Nearest dealer is a couple of hours away. I am sure the valve adjustment is easier than the Concours I now have. Just a pain to remove all the plastic for service. What do your passengers say about the ride. Very impressed with the one I saw at the show in Charlotte.
KIsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #4152
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
You can get 40+ mpg on a NTX at sea level flogging it. DAMHIK. I would think you could get 50+ at elevation. With 8.5 gals on tap, that's....let's see...carry the 1.....a sh*tload of miles!

-SM
I get 40mpg at altitude and have been regularly fuelling up around the 300-mile mark.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #4153
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

-SM
I'm at 3500' and thus far I'm seeing about 40-44 mpg, however it's only got a few thousand miles on it. That mileage is a tick better than my GSA got. It varied from 35-45 mpg. Most often it was under 40.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #4154
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I'm at 3500' and thus far I'm seeing about 40-44 mpg, however it's only got a few thousand miles on it. That mileage is a tick better than my GSA got. It varied from 35-45 mpg. Most often it was under 40.
I am finding that my mileage is steadily improving as I get more miles on my bike. I'm just at 5k miles now and right around 40mpg, but when new I was around 35-36mpg. I'm hearing these motors aren't really run-in until around 10k miles, so I'm assuming I'll be right around 42-43mpg given how and where I ride.

-SM
Old 02-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #4155
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I may take a look at the 2013. Seems like more bike for the money compared to the GS. What are the service intervals like , valve adjustments and such. Nearest dealer is a couple of hours away. I am sure the valve adjustment is easier than the Concours I now have. Just a pain to remove all the plastic for service. What do your passengers say about the ride. Very impressed with the one I saw at the show in Charlotte.
Valves are checked every 6k miles. Nothing to remove other than the valve cover because it's right there in the open. Screw-type adjusters make it a 10 minute job, and that includes a 5 min beer break. Oil is also every 6k miles, but everyone has their own ideas about how often they change theirs. The good news here is the Guzzi still uses a dry clutch, so the oil stays MUCH cleaner. With my Norge, which had the same service intervals, I just went through it every 6k miles and did valves and all fluids (engine, tranny, and final drive). I don't think it ever took more than 1hr, and that's with lots of "help" from my daughter, the dogs, the neighbor needing to borrow my mower, etc......

-SM