User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #4156
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,586
Heated Drip question

I just installed my factory heated grips. Should they turn on with key on or do you need the engine running. I can't get mine to show in the display.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #4157
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
I just installed my factory heated grips. Should they turn on with key on or do you need the engine running. I can't get mine to show in the display.
I suspect the engine needs to be running. Why doncha fire that puppy up and find out?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #4158
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I suspect the engine needs to be running. Why doncha fire that puppy up and find out?
I still have the tank off for some other work....
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Old 02-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #4159
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,722
Quote:
Engine running.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #4160
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Engine running.
Thanks. By the looks of the extended forecast I won't be riding anytime soon. Time for farkling!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #4161
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
I still have the tank off for some other work....
Are you performing a canisterectomy?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #4162
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Are you performing a canisterectomy?
Maybe I should? Seems like I saw a tutorial on Wild Guzzi... Have you done it to yours?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #4163
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Maybe I should? Seems like I saw a tutorial on Wild Guzzi... Have you done it to yours?
Yes. It's pretty easy since you've already got the tank off. The one thing I did differently from the posted steps was to tee the tank vent hose into the overflow drain hose using the tee that used to lead forward to the canister from the vacumn hose between the throttle bodies. I had plenty of left over hose to run a single piece between the throttle bodies. It runs great and I don't have to listen to the tip over valve moan any more either.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #4164
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,992
Quote:
Thanks. By the looks of the extended forecast I won't be riding anytime soon. Time for farkling!
Also, you need to hold the switch for a moment to activate the grips. They won't come on with just a flick like the passing flasher. Once on, each flick steps through the 3 heat settings. Turn them off by holding the switch in again.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #4165
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,992
Quote:
Yes. It's pretty easy since you've already got the tank off. The one thing I did differently from the posted steps was to tee the tank vent hose into the overflow drain hose using the tee that used to lead forward to the canister from the vacumn hose between the throttle bodies. I had plenty of left over hose to run a single piece between the throttle bodies. It runs great and I don't have to listen to the tip over valve moan any more either.
I did a temporary, reversible canisterectomy on my bike and it made absolutely no difference in how it runs, so I put it back to stock. I don't like the smell of fuel in the garage on those hot summer days/nights, and if it doesn't improve the performance at all, I'm all for saving the endangered baby spotted grey whale-owl.....or whatever the canister is there to protect.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #4166
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I did a temporary, reversible canisterectomy on my bike and it made absolutely no difference in how it runs, so I put it back to stock. I don't like the smell of fuel in the garage on those hot summer days/nights, and if it doesn't improve the performance at all, I'm all for saving the endangered baby spotted grey whale-owl.....or whatever the canister is there to protect.

-SM
I understand. I would remove the tip over valve regardless.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #4167
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Also, you need to hold the switch for a moment to activate the grips. They won't come on with just a flick like the passing flasher. Once on, each flick steps through the 3 heat settings. Turn them off by holding the switch in again.

-SM
I became quite good at stepping through the settings trying to get my stock heated grips to work the day I bought the bike.

2012 Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
Demar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:12 AM   #4168
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demar39 View Post
I became quite good at stepping through the settings trying to get my stock heated grips to work the day I bought the bike.
Yes, when I bought mine the grips were like Mante Te'os girlfriend....imaginary!:eek::

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #4169
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

I'm finding 5th gear might be a better choice than 6th at highway speeds below 75 mph. What do you guys who have owned their bikes longer do? At 70 in 6th gear the engine is turning around 4k rpm and there is a little vibration that goes away with a few more rpms.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #4170
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,834
Quote:
I'm finding 5th gear might be a better choice than 6th at highway speeds below 75 mph. What do you guys who have owned their bikes longer do? At 70 in 6th gear the engine is turning around 4k rpm and there is a little vibration that goes away with a few more rpms.
Rarely use 6th - like to keep the bike revving up around 5k - for me is strickly a highway gear

Nice thing about TX is the higher speed limits - however MPG suffers accordingly