ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #4246
hwelbergen
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Windermere
Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch96 View Post
I'm going to Bikeweek in Daytona beach. There is a MG dealer there, I'll give'em a try...

mitch
No Moto Guzzi display this bike week and the dealer has only a Griso and a V7 sport on the floor. Very disappointing . If Piaggio /MG is unable to do even a small display on bike week, or assure that the locale dealer has inventory what does that tell me? Big thumbs down.
hwelbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #4247
stevie88
That's gotta hurt
 
stevie88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The place dad always warned me about
Oddometer: 17,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelbergen View Post
No Moto Guzzi display this bike week and the dealer has only a Griso and a V7 sport on the floor. Very disappointing . If Piaggio /MG is unable to do even a small display on bike week, or assure that the locale dealer has inventory what does that tell me? Big thumbs down.
Don't worry about it, enjoy yourself. Guzzi is selling all they are building these days and it's always going to be a rare bird. That's part of its charm for us fans.
__________________
In Russia we have saying, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". We also say, "if it is broke, don't fix it".
stevie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #4248
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: South of Indianapolis
Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelbergen View Post
No Moto Guzzi display this bike week and the dealer has only a Griso and a V7 sport on the floor. Very disappointing . If Piaggio /MG is unable to do even a small display on bike week, or assure that the locale dealer has inventory what does that tell me? Big thumbs down.
You need to remember that MG is a very small niche manufacturer, 5000-6000 annually for their world wide markets. Given that the US takes only about 10% of those bikes, it's hard for them (MG NA) to justify a major expense like a showing at Bike Week would be.

Also, remember that last year MG went to a "build to order, on a quarterly basis" process for their ordering and manufacturing. In other words, the factory builds only what the dealers tell them they want to order, either for speculation on the dealer floor or because they have a customer that has purchased one. MG no longer build lots of bikes that go into warehouses, sit for several years and are later sold at very much reduced prices.

I hope this helps.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #4249
hwelbergen
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Windermere
Oddometer: 3
It is not a choice to be a niche manufacturer .It is a result. I was comparing with S10 which I was able to test. Think small.. Stay small. An I love the looks of the Guzzi's. Piaggio can do better than that.
hwelbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #4250
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy
 
RRVT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Burlington, VT
Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
There's a solution for that - take the back roads to the back roads. You'd be amazed what you can find.

-SM
Sometimes that works and sometimes it backfires, like it did on me in SC. Flat and boring scenery, and town after town with speed limits, lights, stop signs, old people driving below speed limit... After watching my estimated arrival time slipping further and further behind, I just went "F*** this! I am taking the Interstate to Charleston and have some fun there instead of this" And as I was sitting in a coffee shop full of cute college students before I could check in to the hotel, I definitely didn't regret getting there fast
__________________
Roman
Burlington, VT
2009 F800GS, 1995 R1100GS, 2013 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2002 Triumph Tiger, 1984 Honda Magna with Velorex Sidecar, 1969 Jawa Sport
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #4251
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelbergen View Post
No Moto Guzzi display this bike week and the dealer has only a Griso and a V7 sport on the floor. Very disappointing . If Piaggio /MG is unable to do even a small display on bike week, or assure that the locale dealer has inventory what does that tell me? Big thumbs down.

Tried to tell you !

Ditto what Chuck said.

What comes first? More sales so they can afford more marketing or more marketing so they can produce more sales?

Too bad there's not a big dealer like Riders Hill in Daytona that could hold the day with test rides etc.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #4252
Mr. B
Contrarian
 
Mr. B's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
Sometimes that works and sometimes it backfires, like it did on me in SC. Flat and boring scenery, and town after town with speed limits, lights, stop signs, old people driving below speed limit... After watching my estimated arrival time slipping further and further behind, I just went "F*** this! I am taking the Interstate to Charleston and have some fun there instead of this" And as I was sitting in a coffee shop full of cute college students before I could check in to the hotel, I definitely didn't regret getting there fast
The same goes for riding across the Midwest. The scenery is the same: corn, corn and more corn, whether you're riding the interstate or the US and state highways. The only difference is slowing down for every town. Riding across the midwest, I am more inclined to take the interstate until I get to the nice roads.
__________________
'12 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
Mr. B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #4253
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
Sometimes that works and sometimes it backfires, like it did on me in SC. Flat and boring scenery, and town after town with speed limits, lights, stop signs, old people driving below speed limit... After watching my estimated arrival time slipping further and further behind, I just went "F*** this! I am taking the Interstate to Charleston and have some fun there instead of this" And as I was sitting in a coffee shop full of cute college students before I could check in to the hotel, I definitely didn't regret getting there fast
Then our definitions of "back roads" differ. To me, back roads avoid towns, that's the whole point. If you're going to hop from town to town, then yeah, just take the interstate and get on with it.

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #4254
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelbergen View Post
It is not a choice to be a niche manufacturer .It is a result. I was comparing with S10 which I was able to test. Think small.. Stay small. An I love the looks of the Guzzi's. Piaggio can do better than that.
I think you're missing the point. The number and quality of bikes that MG produces today is EXACTLY where PG wants them to be. No more, no less. It's not a result of "thinking small", it's a result of purposely structuring the company to produce a specific number of high quality bikes per year, not flood the market with them, and keep both the new selling price and used resale price high.

MG and PG had not been doing that, and they had a mess with bikes sitting in warehouses for YEARS collecting dust, selling them one at a time at a huge discount. My '08 Norge was bought new in late '09 for 30% below MSRP. PG finally said enough, purposely cut production wayyyyy back, and focused on quality, not quantity. The result of all that is what we have today - a quality product that sells for MSRP, is reliable as they come, and will likely resell, used, for more than the left over new bikes were selling for just a few years ago.

Like it or not, PG seems fine with the way things are, and it doesn't appear to be changing any time soon. Sure, that's going to drive some folks to look elsewhere, but as another poster said, they're selling all they make.

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #4255
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate
 
hngngnthr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Tigerville, SC
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I think you're missing the point. The number and quality of bikes that MG produces today is EXACTLY where PG wants them to be. No more, no less. It's not a result of "thinking small", it's a result of purposely structuring the company to produce a specific number of high quality bikes per year, not flood the market with them, and keep both the new selling price and used resale price high.

MG and PG had not been doing that, and they had a mess with bikes sitting in warehouses for YEARS collecting dust, selling them one at a time at a huge discount. My '08 Norge was bought new in late '09 for 30% below MSRP. PG finally said enough, purposely cut production wayyyyy back, and focused on quality, not quantity. The result of all that is what we have today - a quality product that sells for MSRP, is reliable as they come, and will likely resell, used, for more than the left over new bikes were selling for just a few years ago.

Like it or not, PG seems fine with the way things are, and it doesn't appear to be changing any time soon. Sure, that's going to drive some folks to look elsewhere, but as another poster said, they're selling all they make.

-SM
I have to agree with this. I'd rather see a solid stable company that's sustainable than one committed to growth. Growth always runs out. Plus, Guzzi is innovative and is as close to state of the art as any of the others. Not to mention, highly competitive with all of them. I've owned almost all the other popular brands except Harley, and am loving my NTX. As an afterthought, not to bash Harley, but one of the things that differentiate Harley and Guzzi is that a huge number of Harley riders are people who know next to nothing about motorcycles, and most Guzzi owners are highly experienced riders with a lot of technical knowledge about motorcycles. Just an observation.

I'll be happy if Guzzi stays on track just like it is.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:59 AM   #4256
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: South of Indianapolis
Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I think you're missing the point. The number and quality of bikes that MG produces today is EXACTLY where PG wants them to be. No more, no less. It's not a result of "thinking small", it's a result of purposely structuring the company to produce a specific number of high quality bikes per year, not flood the market with them, and keep both the new selling price and used resale price high. -SM
I agree. Piaggio bought Moto-Guzzi a few years ago to make money. They shut the plant down, spent a ton of money revamping, restructuring, improving the manufacturing quality and processes. They then altered the order process to the current "build to order, on a quarterly basis". They do not schedule/build a bike unless it has been ordered and they are going to get paid for it. How better a way to make money than that?

How does the order process work? In late-Dec. 2011, I was at Rose Farm Classics (dealer in IL). Jim B. (owner) was writing his bike order for the first half of 2012. He asked if I wanted to place an order for a '12 Stelvio, to be in addition to those he was ordering. I did not, told him I would consider one of those he was ordering. His total order went in early first Quarter-'12. MG scheduled his along with all other orders, ordered the parts, built and shipped the bikes in the second Quarter. I bought the Cool Orange NTX he had ordered, when it arrived in mid-June '12.

IMO, the changes Piaggio has made to MG are working. They're producing high quality products in selected market segments of the motorcycling industry. My NTX, now with 5K miles, is an excellent bike for my riding needs -- long distance touring, camping trips and cycle rallies. I'm looking forward to many more miles on it. Ride safe.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #4257
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 15,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I think you're missing the point. The number and quality of bikes that MG produces today is EXACTLY where PG wants them to be. No more, no less. It's not a result of "thinking small", it's a result of purposely structuring the company to produce a specific number of high quality bikes per year, not flood the market with them, and keep both the new selling price and used resale price high.

MG and PG had not been doing that, and they had a mess with bikes sitting in warehouses for YEARS collecting dust, selling them one at a time at a huge discount. My '08 Norge was bought new in late '09 for 30% below MSRP. PG finally said enough, purposely cut production wayyyyy back, and focused on quality, not quantity. The result of all that is what we have today - a quality product that sells for MSRP, is reliable as they come, and will likely resell, used, for more than the left over new bikes were selling for just a few years ago.

Like it or not, PG seems fine with the way things are, and it doesn't appear to be changing any time soon. Sure, that's going to drive some folks to look elsewhere, but as another poster said, they're selling all they make.

-SM
exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngngnthr View Post
I have to agree with this. I'd rather see a solid stable company that's sustainable than one committed to growth. Growth always runs out. Plus, Guzzi is innovative and is as close to state of the art as any of the others. Not to mention, highly competitive with all of them. I've owned almost all the other popular brands except Harley, and am loving my NTX. As an afterthought, not to bash Harley, but one of the things that differentiate Harley and Guzzi is that a huge number of Harley riders are people who know next to nothing about motorcycles, and most Guzzi owners are highly experienced riders with a lot of technical knowledge about motorcycles. Just an observation.

I'll be happy if Guzzi stays on track just like it is.
ditto.

btw guys.... I sold my NTX to a good buddy of mine yesterday, but it's not a reflection on the bike AT ALL.
I sold both my street bikes to do something a bit extravagant for the missus for our anniversary - and it was damn tough to turn loose of the Stelvio.

It was in the top three of 59 bikes owned, maybe #1 after I'm without it for a while and have time to reflect on it's essential greatness.
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #4258
mitch96
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Hollyweird Florida
Oddometer: 132
Too bad there's not a big dealer like Riders Hill in Daytona that could hold the day with test rides etc.

Interesting caveat. Triumph said at bikeweek last year that they suspended their whole test ride program.. Only 5 to 8% of the people that test rode the bikes bought one... The Southeast sales mgr told me they are only doing store rides now. Bummer.. Lucky for me my riding buddy bought a Explorer and I got to ride it for about 100 miles this last fall.. What a nice bike!!

I would still like to ride a Stelvio though befroe I plunk down my hard earned cash... I want to check out the cylinder heat and riding position. I rode the S10 a bunch of times and while a nice bike the Stelvio and the Triumph just exude quality.. The attention to detail is what I'm talking about.. Bellissimo!!
Shit you guys already have me talking Italian.............
mitch
__________________
I'm doing so good, I can't stand it!!
mitch96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #4259
mitch96
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Hollyweird Florida
Oddometer: 132
and will likely resell, used, for more than the left over new bikes were selling for just a few years ago.

Interesting.... A dealer in NC (MATTHEWS FUN MACHINES, Matthews, NC )
was selling a new NTX for right around 14k on cycletrader... I just looked and now it's "call for price". He has four of them in stock I believe..

I would do a fly and drive for that money.. I still want to ride one first...

BTW anybody have problems with the left cyl heat??

mitch
__________________
I'm doing so good, I can't stand it!!
mitch96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #4260
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: South of Indianapolis
Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch96 View Post
...BTW anybody have problems with the left cyl heat?? mitch
I don't. I can feel the heat through my Roadcrafter pants off the left side more than the right. However, even in the hot weather last Summer, I did not feel that it was too much off the left cylinder. It's about the same as the heat on both feet from the cylinders on an air-head Beemer, if you have ridden one of those.

The weather is nice outside today. It's time to ride.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014