User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #4261
MotoG5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Back On The Road

Last December 6th I was forced to park my new NTX with only 850 miles on the clock. Badly needed surgery on my left hand to replace my thumb joint was the cause. The weather held up here in eastern Nebraska for a few more weeks but it was past time to get my hand fixed. So this last week with the snow and cold finally letting up and my hand healed enough to pull the clutch lever I made my first ride. It was almost like having the bike out for the first time all over again. After all those weeks of just being able to look at it sitting in the garage it was pure bliss. I am looking forward to my first summer on the NTX. My big trip is to make the MGNOC rally in Lavigne,Ontario,Canada this August. And of course a few others here in the midwest along with the daily work commute.
So far other than doing the first service just before parking it last year and still needing to do the final TB balance and TPS reset I have had only one issue. One morning last fall it failed to start. Hit the switch and nothing but a click. Dinked around and finally tried tightining the battery terminal bolts at a suggestion from another NTX owner. Did the trick and no more issues. This last week when I rolled her out for the big event the same thing happened. Only this time I was much quicker on the up take with what the issue was. Pulled the battery leads and found the positive terminal and wire connector fairly crudded up with suflite. A good cleaning a some terminal grease fixed it right away.I will soon get the final TB and TPS taken care of and it will be time to put some break in miles on.
MotoG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #4262
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoG5 View Post
Last December 6th I was forced to park my new NTX with only 850 miles on the clock. Badly needed surgery on my left hand to replace my thumb joint was the cause. The weather held up here in eastern Nebraska for a few more weeks but it was past time to get my hand fixed. So this last week with the snow and cold finally letting up and my hand healed enough to pull the clutch lever I made my first ride. It was almost like having the bike out for the first time all over again. After all those weeks of just being able to look at it sitting in the garage it was pure bliss. I am looking forward to my first summer on the NTX. My big trip is to make the MGNOC rally in Lavigne,Ontario,Canada this August. And of course a few others here in the midwest along with the daily work commute.
So far other than doing the first service just before parking it last year and still needing to do the final TB balance and TPS reset I have had only one issue. One morning last fall it failed to start. Hit the switch and nothing but a click. Dinked around and finally tried tightining the battery terminal bolts at a suggestion from another NTX owner. Did the trick and no more issues. This last week when I rolled her out for the big event the same thing happened. Only this time I was much quicker on the up take with what the issue was. Pulled the battery leads and found the positive terminal and wire connector fairly crudded up with suflite. A good cleaning a some terminal grease fixed it right away.I will soon get the final TB and TPS taken care of and it will be time to put some break in miles on.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #4263
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch96 View Post
and will likely resell, used, for more than the left over new bikes were selling for just a few years ago.

Interesting.... A dealer in NC (MATTHEWS FUN MACHINES, Matthews, NC )
was selling a new NTX for right around 14k on cycletrader... I just looked and now it's "call for price". He has four of them in stock I believe..

I would do a fly and drive for that money.. I still want to ride one first...

BTW anybody have problems with the left cyl heat??

mitch
If your left knee isn't actually touching the guard at the cylinder the heat should not be a problem. You won't know for sure until you at least sit on one and move around on the seat.

Too bad about Matthews Fun Machines. I was hoping they'd sell enough Guzzi's to stay in business. If they have to discount like that to clear inventory, that's not a good sign. As far as I know, they're the only dealer in NC and there's no dealer in SC. Hopefully they sell enough of the Piaggio line to keep going. They could almost truck their bikes to Riders Hill and sell them on consignment!
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #4264
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Well MotoG5....

That must have been hell not being able to ride a new bike.

Glad to hear your riding again and we will meet up at the MGNOC as I intend to be there as well.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #4265
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
Well MotoG5.... we will meet up at the MGNOC as I intend to be there as well.
I'm looking forward to the National in Lavigne also. I'm expecting to camp in the area that's provided in the Registration Form.

Ride safe.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #4266
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
...btw guys.... I sold my NTX to a good buddy of mine yesterday, but it's not a reflection on the bike AT ALL.
I sold both my street bikes to do something a bit extravagant for the missus for our anniversary - and it was damn tough to turn loose of the Stelvio. ...
Blake,

I'm really sorry that you've sold the NTX. I've enjoyed our (electronic) conversations and was looking forward to meeting you in person.

However, I fully understand why you sold it -- my wife and I have celebrated a few "significant" anniversaries years ourselves in the past. Congratulations on yours.

Regards and ride safe in the future.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #4267
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
I'm looking forward to the National in Lavigne also. I'm expecting to camp in the area that's provided in the Registration Form.

Ride safe.
+1

I think there's gonna be a pretty sizable number of Stelvio's there.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #4268
muddyjj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Keep it or get a new one?

I have a 2010 Stelvio that I love. I have been looking at the new Stelvios and have been thinking about trading the 2010. Should I seriously consider this or keep the bike I have and put some money into some sidebags and keep it? Any thoughts?

muddyjj screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 04:13 PM
muddyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #4269
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyjj View Post
I have a 2010 Stelvio that I love except for a few minor things. I have been looking at the new Stelvios and have been thinking about trading the 2010. Should I seriously consider this or keep the bike I have and put some money into some sidebags and keep it? Any thoughts?
What are the minor things you don't like?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #4270
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post

Ride safe.
Yup. That's the plan!
I guess I should actually register though. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #4271
KIsley
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Dealers

Anyone here dealt with Matthews Fun Machines? Closest dealer that I know of, thought I would demo one there. Was looking at the GS for my next bike but came upon the Stelvio and like what I see.
KIsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #4272
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Then our definitions of "back roads" differ. To me, back roads avoid towns, that's the whole point. If you're going to hop from town to town, then yeah, just take the interstate and get on with it. -SM
+1
To misquote a famous quote:
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need no damn roads - we're on a Stelvio!"
You certainly don't need blacktop - that's not what the Stelvio was built for: to drone down freeways - or even stay on paved roads - is to waste an awful lot of the motorcycle you just bought.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #4273
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,569
New bike day...

Old 03-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #4274
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
New bike day...

James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #4275
muddyjj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
What are the minor things you don't like?
Actually there isn't much I don't like on mine. The new NTX comes with all the accessories, fog lights, synchronized fuel injection, traction control, etc. The downside is the newer model is a little slower and smaller forks.

On my bike I've added the crash bars, Stelvio fog lights, rear hugger fender and changed out the turn signals replacing with the European turn signals.

I've been tossing this around going back and forth. Just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts.
muddyjj is offline   Reply With Quote