Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #4276
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyjj View Post
Actually there isn't much I don't like on mine. The new NTX comes with all the accessories, fog lights, synchronized fuel injection, traction control, etc. The downside is the newer model is a little slower and smaller forks.

On my bike I've added the crash bars, Stelvio fog lights, rear hugger fender and changed out the turn signals replacing with the European turn signals.

I've been tossing this around going back and forth. Just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts.
If I were in your shoes, here is what I would do - keep the bike, invest in better luggage (Trax looks good but doesn't survive even a minor crash that well), and attach a 1 or 2 gallon Rotopax to the top case to give you a range closer to NTX.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #4277
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
New bike day...

Old 03-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #4278
vivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Put 300 milkes on my NTX this weekend. The limp shifter while downshifting has been solved. Apparently my foot wasn't allowing the full return of the shifter before selecting a lower gear. I adjusted the toe kick lower so that the shifter comes up higher with my foot brushing the tip. I think that will correct the problem because it doesn't occur when my foot is totally off the shifter.

Going to install some nylon washers on the shield hardware as the arms buzz a bit.

Lost a pannier rack nut and the bolt holding the rack to the bike was rattling loose. Replaced and installed double nuts. Dont' like the Guzzi top box mount in the standard position. It is too close to the passenger so I will modify to allow another 1" or so rearward mounting.

Hit 103MPH, very stable and cruising at 85/90 is a happy time. Handling everywhere is fantastic!!! Rode solo and two up, great either way. Firming preload at the rear actually improved front end plushness...

Not sure about the seat? Love the front taper, not sure I love the flat rear area of the riders seat? Time will tell...

Love this BIG tank! Put 5.5 gallons in with two bars still remaining.

Guzzi really did a great job with this tank. it never feels wide or any larger than a standard tank and even full of fuel there is no sense of weight! My Caponord felt HEAVY when it was full, the Guzzi feels the same empty or fully fueled!

Vivo
vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #4279
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290

Finally got all the honeydos done. Today had a fine time putting on the new Calsci windshield. I overlayed the stock windshield with a piece of tape at the top to show the difference. I think it should work nicely.

Heated grips on, they work great....can't imagine people would want it hotter.

Top Box is one...need to get a pad on it so my wife has something to lean against.

Now I am off to Phoenix to enjoy the weather and try this stuff out.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #4280
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Not sure why the windshield didn't show.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #4281
vivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
The Windshield shows.. looks about 4" higher to me...?

Do Not put a full face helmet in that box and ride with it in there. It will bounce around and dent the box, trust me. If you want to put something like that in the box you had better make a liner for the sides and lid or after one or two rides your box will have been dented from the inside out.

You can get a back pad designed for the top box from Motech or Twisted Throttle, 50 bucks.

If your wife is small you won't have any problems but if she is a bit larger than small, size 12 type that box might feel a bit close to the passenger keeping her a bit off the front of her seat. That doesn't allow you to slide all the way back on your seat. I have that situation and have removed the box just today to figure a way of moving it rearward an inch or so...

Vivo
vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #4282
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post

Finally got all the honeydos done. Today had a fine time putting on the new Calsci windshield. I overlayed the stock windshield with a piece of tape at the top to show the difference. I think it should work nicely.

Heated grips on, they work great....can't imagine people would want it hotter.

Top Box is one...need to get a pad on it so my wife has something to lean against.

Now I am off to Phoenix to enjoy the weather and try this stuff out.

You might as well order the euro turn signal kit. Those mirrors will soon fall apart.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #4283
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyjj View Post
The downside is the newer model is a little slower

OK, I'll bite....how do you figure the '12 is a little slower than the '09-'11?

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #4284
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Wife is small....5'2" 115, russian blue eyed, blond......

Trouble is I kind of like these signals so I will ridem till they drop then change.

Thanks for the tip on the pad.

I sure like working on this rig.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #4285
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

-SM
Different engine tuning reportedly brings the power down a few HP despite Guzzi showing the same specs. . I read it on the Internets.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #4286
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,582
Cal Sci windshield

I like the looks of that Cal-Sci windscreen, I was just getting ready to order the MRA windshield extension....now I have to give it some more thought
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #4287
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

-SM
The 09 Stelvio has essentially the same motor and tune as the Griso. Because of that, it was a bit peakier up top.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #4288
Prior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Has anyone confirmed that the NTX tank can go on the regular Stelvio? Not a deal breaker by any means, but a few of these leftover Stelvios have very attractive prices.

Prior
Prior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #4289
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 745
It's not just the tank I don't think. I believe the whole fairing has to change. I believe its been done, but unless you can get the bodywork from a wrecked bike, I think it would be prohibitively expensive.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:33 AM   #4290
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
It's not just the tank I don't think. I believe the whole fairing has to change. I believe its been done, but unless you can get the bodywork from a wrecked bike, I think it would be prohibitively expensive.

There are lots of bits and pieces involved.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote