stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,411
Old 03-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #4322
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,535
Winter Sucks!

Yesterday it snowed a couple of inches, this morning I woke up to 19 degrees. I hate winter!!!

On a good note I spent part of yesterday installing my re-flashed ECU from GuzziTech I just need to reset my TPS and wait for spring....
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #4323
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,704
I emasculated the poor Guzzi by putting street tires back on it.

(Thanks to Blakebird for the tires! )
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #4324
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,312
Oh, so you got my tires eh? You need to go out and get that thing Dirty Ian.

Marc
Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #4325
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
Oh, so you got my tires eh? You need to go out and get that thing Dirty Ian.

Marc

It's filthy! What it needs is a bath and an oil change.

Since it's relatively fresh on your mind, how does the Stelvio compare to that GS and the RT? I'm not asking which is better, but what are the similarities and differences from your perspective?
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #4326
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post

It's filthy! What it needs is a bath and an oil change.

Since it's relatively fresh on your mind, how does the Stelvio compare to that GS and the RT? I'm not asking which is better, but what are the similarities and differences from your perspective?
The RT is a completely different animal than either the GS or the Stelvio but being the 1150 engine it idles a little rough, they all seem to. For highway cruising it is much more comfortable than either of the other two. It is super stable and yet a little heavy to turn in. Wind protection is a good as my Goldwing was.

The Guzzi and the GS are very similar. I have never had an issue with the telelever front end on the BMW's but the Stelvio feels a little more responsive. The Stelvio vibrates more under 4K RPM but smooths right out above that. The GS was lighter for sure but the Goose handles it weight well once you are rolling. With the lower seat height on the Stelvio I can actually touch the ground when stopped. I love the sound of the Guzzi and the motor seems more tractor like than the BMW. Saying that I like them both very much and would be happy to own either.

Marc

Lomax screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 08:17 AM
Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #4327
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I emasculated the poor Guzzi by putting street tires back on it.

(Thanks to Blakebird for the tires! )
If you're looking for a little better compromise tire, you should think about giving the Shinko 705's a whirl.

The turn in on them is fantastic. The bike just drops into corners. I've never had them break out on me and are reasonably good in the rain too. I find the Shinko's make the bike feel 150 lbs. lighter. Decent in gravel, really decent on the road. I get about 7500 miles out of the rear and maybe twice that out of the front. Can't beat the price of em either. I used a set of Anakee's on the cross country trip this year and while I liked them, I went back to the Shinko's.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #4328
gonnagetthere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
First time Guzzi owner

Just purchased a new to me 2009 Stelvio from a dealer at a local bike show on Saturday. First "impulse purchase" I've made in many, many years. The bike just "called to me" as they say, and I answered.
Stelvio has under 8000 km on it, along with a set of Givi Trekker style side cases. Weather (ice pellets and freezing rain) and other factors dictate I won't pick it up for a week or possibly two.

I've been lurking here at AdvRider for several months, and started to read through this lengthy thread a couple of weeks ago to learn about your experiences with your Stelvio. Despite some of the things I've read about the Stelvio, or because of them I still went ahead and bought one.

Dealer I purchased the bike from is not a MG dealer. The bike was nothing more than a trade-in to them. Closest MG dealer is about an hour and a half ride from me. I'm hoping they will be able to confirm that any/all service updates or recalls were performed on the bike by the previous owner either at their dealership, or another MG dealer. I enjoy performing basic maintenance and mechanical repairs or upgrades to my bikes. Not really equiped or competent when it comes to sophisticated electronics like the ECU or using a laptop.

I've also poked around the Guzzitech website. If I understand the VIN sequencing correctly, it appears my bike falls into the group of bikes that were recalled for cam replacement. Also have read about the fork pinch bolt over torque issue and will check into that once I take delivery of my bike.

Ideally, all will be well with my bike, and I'll enjoy many thousands of miles and smiles with it. I plan to hang out here a bit, contribute, and even post pics. Don't use a web hosting site at present, otherwise I would post a pic or two of my bike. Guess that's about it for now, don't want to make my first post too boring, or too long.

Cheers everyone.
gonnagetthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #4329
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

You definitely want to make sure the cam recall was done. Mine was done by the dealer before I took delivery and has been perfect for nearly 40,000 miles.

You also want to verify that you have map 52 and not map 18 in it. My 09 came with 18 and it ran kinda lousy, with lousy fuel mileage. The updated map 52 completely changed the character of the bike. It's all probably been done, but worth checking. You'll be much happier with that map if it hasn't been done.

My dealer broke one of my fork legs when changing the tires. The replaced the leg and also changed the bolts on the other side to the updated smaller allen head rather than the flanged bolt. I haven't had any problems since.

The 09 is a real tank though and once sorted, seems almost unbreakable. I've had many happy miles on it.

Best of luck, welcome to the party.
IBA # 35648
Old 03-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #4330
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
If you're looking for a little better compromise tire, you should think about giving the Shinko 705's a whirl.

The turn in on them is fantastic. The bike just drops into corners. I've never had them break out on me and are reasonably good in the rain too. I find the Shinko's make the bike feel 150 lbs. lighter. Decent in gravel, really decent on the road. I get about 7500 miles out of the rear and maybe twice that out of the front. Can't beat the price of em either. I used a set of Anakee's on the cross country trip this year and while I liked them, I went back to the Shinko's.
I guess I'll give them a try. The price is incredibly cheap. My rear Anakee only lasts about 5,000 miles and costs a lot more. I wear tires out pretty fast in the twisties. I love cornering. I'd like to have more stability in the gravel as well.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #4331
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnagetthere View Post
Just purchased a new to me 2009 Stelvio from a dealer at a local bike show on Saturday.
Congrats on the new (to you) beastie!

Re. the recall, w/ 8k km on it, it most likely was done, but do see if you can track that down as it's fairly important to have that tended to. Beyond that, enjoy it!

One note is Guzzi's have a "happy place" for their oil level, so don't get too concerned if you fill yours to the top mark and over the next 1k km it goes half way between Min and Max. Some folks (especially new-to-Guzzi) freak out over this and think their bike is losing/burning oil, but it's actually just spitting out what it doesn't want into the breather that exits into the airbox. You'll notice a drain tube coming from the airbox with a plug in it. Put a pan under there and remove the plug and viola, there's your excess oil. As long as there's oil above the Min mark on the dip stick (yeah, it's got a dip stick....how quaint ), you're good, and you shouldn't lose/burn/spit out one drop.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #4332
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

I've been through 3 sets of them and really like how they handle on the Stelvio. They will shock you how quick they turn in when you first put them on.
IBA # 35648
Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #4333
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Congrats on the new (to you) beastie!

Re. the recall, w/ 8k km on it, it most likely was done, but do see if you can track that down as it's fairly important to have that tended to. Beyond that, enjoy it!

One note is Guzzi's have a "happy place" for their oil level, so don't get too concerned if you fill yours to the top mark and over the next 1k km it goes half way between Min and Max. Some folks (especially new-to-Guzzi) freak out over this and think their bike is losing/burning oil, but it's actually just spitting out what it doesn't want into the breather that exits into the airbox. You'll notice a drain tube coming from the airbox with a plug in it. Put a pan under there and remove the plug and viola, there's your excess oil. As long as there's oil above the Min mark on the dip stick (yeah, it's got a dip stick....how quaint ), you're good, and you shouldn't lose/burn/spit out one drop.

-SM

I guess that means when I'm on my bike it actually has 2 dipsticks.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #4334
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I guess that means when I'm on my bike it actually has 2 dipsticks.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #4335
gonnagetthere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Thanks

Hi folks, and thanks for your initial feedback, it's much appreciated. I'll add the 52 map to the short list of things to check with the dealer, and also check the oil level and air box drain tube once the bike is home.

All good.
gonnagetthere is offline   Reply With Quote