Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #4336
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnagetthere View Post
Hi folks, and thanks for your initial feedback, it's much appreciated.
I little more feedback for you -- the Guzzi National Rally is being held this year in your area. It's scheduled for August 22-25 in Lavigne, Ontario, Canada. You can read more about it earlier in this line of discussion (page 271 has some discussion on the subject) or over on the Wildguzzi Website. It would give you a great opportunity see many more Guzzis and talk with the owners about their riding experiences. I'm certain there will be several Stelvios represented in the batch of bikes.

Ride safe and good luck with the Stelvio.

Chuck in Indiana screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 03:44 PM
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #4337
gonnagetthere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
More great feedback, thanks for that Chuck.
Lavigne is about 5-6 hrs from me if I take the most direct route using super slab as far as it will take me. Not huge fun doing that. I'd more likely make it a day ride to get there. Already have plans for this summer, but will have a look at Wildguzzi and work the rally in if I possibly can.
gonnagetthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #4338
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
well I still can't get photobucket to work tonight. I can't fijure out why a guy can't just copy from his computer.====PITAS.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #4339
gonnagetthere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
The answer to why you can't post pics from your computer may lie here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

Wondered the same thing when I tried to upload pics of my bike with my original post. Sorry, don't have an explanation as to why you can't get photobucket to work.
gonnagetthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:03 AM   #4340
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
... you should think about giving the Shinko 705's a whirl.... Decent in gravel, I used a set of Anakee's on the cross country trip this year and while I liked them, I went back to the Shinko's.
Witch City,

The vast majority of my riding is "road touring", so I tend to wear a tire in the center of the tread. I'm expecting about 7K or so miles on the OEM rear Pirelli. I was looking at the Anakee's for my replacements because of your cross-country experience, and expecting about 10K or miles on the rear. How would you rank the 705's for my type of riding. It looks like I would be expecting 7K or so for the rear.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:24 AM   #4341
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 732
The bulk of my riding is road touring and commuting to work. It seems nearly impossible to create a shelf on the them. I still end up getting about 7500 miles out of a rear Shinko and probably nearly twice that out of the front.

The reason I've stayed with the Shinko's through so many sets is that I'm getting pretty similar mileage out of them for sometimes half the money or more (at least when compared to Anakee pricing) and performance wise, they stack up pretty favorably for me at least.

The Shinko's for me don't even really hit their peak until you have about 1500 miles on them. I've never had the delaminating issues that others have had in the past. I'm not sure if that's because the E705 is a radial and maybe the bias ply versions were doing it or not. I know I'm not very forgiving on tires and I have yet to have one fail. I had one set where I was picking up screws it seemed like every time I rode, and at one point before I pulled that set off, had 3 plugs in the rear.

As always though, your mileage may vary.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #4342
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
.... I still end up getting about 7500 miles out of a rear Shinko and probably nearly twice that out of the front.

The reason I've stayed with the Shinko's through so many sets is that I'm getting pretty similar mileage out of them...

As always though, your mileage may vary.
OK, you've convinced me. I have a set on order and they'll probably be on the bike for the long trip to the West in late-June. Report to follow.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #4343
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,232
I've used the 705s on another bike and also some other Shinkos on my Ducati was less than impressed by both the grip and longevity. I'm a slow learner, but I have finally learned that good tires are worth it to me.

That doesn't mean I won't hunt for a good deal, though.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #4344
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Finally got the photobucket working. Here is a couple of photos on the way to apache lake to the north east out of Apache Junction. A perfect adventure ride with pavement and plenty of dirt that is manageable. Not a lot of pics as the road is so narrow you can't safely stop in many places.
You come out at Roosevelt lake at a dam and quite a bridge.

I am going to test and see if the picture makes it.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #4345
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,594
Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #4346
ripngrip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post

I am going to test and see if the picture makes it.
Works, congrats on the new bike, and looks like a nice ride!
ripngrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #4347
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
OK, you've convinced me. I have a set on order and they'll probably be on the bike for the long trip to the West in late-June. Report to follow.
My next tires will be these (Conti TrailAttack 2):

I love the shape of the Conti. Great turn in, and the TrailAttack (and the more road-biased RoadAttack) have great feel and feedback.

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 11:56 AM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #4348
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,594
I had a set of RA's on an RT once. They seemed noisy and harsh compared to Michelin RP's.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #4349
Cloudhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
My next tires will be these (Conti TrailAttack 2):

I love the shape of the Conti. Great turn in, and the TrailAttack (and the more road-biased RoadAttack) have great feel and feedback.

-SM
Two tips regarding the CTA:
- Try to get hold of a one marked with "Z" (reads CTA Z, where the Z is a more graphic/comicy one). The radial wrapping gradient is different (0) minimizing shimmy/wobble that some people reported (balance dependent)
- The new CTA has the same properties as the "Z". However it's said to be "better in the wet", usually indicating a higher silica content. Could lead to faster wear than the normal variant.

I had the "Z" on my F650GS thumper and it was an absolute joy to ride.

Hope that was some useful info ;)
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #4350
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
Finally got the photobucket working. Here is a couple of photos on the way to apache lake to the north east out of Apache Junction. A perfect adventure ride with pavement and plenty of dirt that is manageable. Not a lot of pics as the road is so narrow you can't safely stop in many places.
You come out at Roosevelt lake at a dam and quite a bridge.
Did you actually do the Apache Trail on that? If so, I am impressed. That thing was scary on an F800GS but probably only because I am not used to washboarded dirt roads. The bike was shaking so hard, I thought the paniers would fall off.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote