Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #4366
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
My shortness is a bit enhanced with the seat down. I took off the peg rubbers also to lower them. I fit nicely now but will keep experimenting.

Now for the sacrilege. A little Harley black touch up and it looks brandy new again. Why do I still have Harley shit around.

Marc
Just don't be putting chrome on it!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #4367
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
Why do I still have Harley shit around.
I still have a couple of pieces from my '90 FXRS that I haven't owned in 20 yrs
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #4368
MotoG5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
3200 to 4000 RPM Buzzzzzzz?

I am about to get shut down for a week or so with another winter strom system so I rode the Stelvio today. 19 degrees F but shoud be up to 39 by afternoon for the ride home. At any rate the usual buzz/rattle that shows up between 3200 and 4000 rpm was really loud this morning. I could hear it over the wind noise and such. Any one ever figure out what the sorce for this is? I know my engine does not do it when not in gear and going down the road. So I assume its some kind of sympithetic vibe with other parts of the bike at that point int he rev range under operation. I am hoping that it gets better after doing the up coming TB balance and TPS reset. Any way just wonder what others are experiencing or thinking about the issue.
MotoG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #4369
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoG5 View Post
I am about to get shut down for a week or so with another winter strom system so I rode the Stelvio today. 19 degrees F but shoud be up to 39 by afternoon for the ride home. At any rate the usual buzz/rattle that shows up between 3200 and 4000 rpm was really loud this morning. I could hear it over the wind noise and such. Any one ever figure out what the sorce for this is? I know my engine does not do it when not in gear and going down the road. So I assume its some kind of sympithetic vibe with other parts of the bike at that point int he rev range under operation. I am hoping that it gets better after doing the up coming TB balance and TPS reset. Any way just wonder what others are experiencing or thinking about the issue.
You might make sure all your muffler clamps are tight.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #4370
vivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Moto

My left stanchon of the windscreen ( arm ) buzzes. I haven't looked at it carefully to find the location yet, but your bike might have the same issue? Take a look, try revving it from idle to see if it buzzes.

Vivo
vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #4371
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoG5 View Post
I have no such vibe or buzz in that range. I have a few more vibes through the pegs/bars at 4200 rpm than other places, but nothing offensive and no buzzing noises anywhere in the rev range.

If it were me, I'd start checking around the wind screen and fairing while it's buzzing (apply pressure to different spots) and see if I could can find it. Buzzing that's loud enough to be heard over the wind would drive me nuts......

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #4372
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 128
Let the bike run on the stand and walk around and look for anything loose that might be vibrating wildly. I noticed my handlebar weight was about to come out by inadvertently doing this. Of course the handguard would also started flopping around. This is a benefit of a slightly unbalanced V-twin. Loose connections become visible. I love this bike.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #4373
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by hngngnthr View Post
Let the bike run on the stand and walk around and look for anything loose that might be vibrating wildly. I noticed my handlebar weight was about to come out by inadvertently doing this. Of course the handguard would also started flopping around. This is a benefit of a slightly unbalanced V-twin. Loose connections become visible. I love this bike.
My right-side handguard was buzzing on the master cylinder. Easy fix but hard to identify the source of the noise.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #4374
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
My right-side handguard was buzzing on the master cylinder. Easy fix but hard to identify the source of the noise.
Last week I had exactly the same vibration issue...3500 rpm, right handguard vibrating against the master cylinder. A large velcro pad took care of the problem.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #4375
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 408
Aftermarket windscreen for the NTX

It seems that no stock windscreen works for me. That has been true for every bike I have owned so I expected to have to 'adjust' the one on my Stelvio. My first aftermarket windscreen seemed to be perfect but it could not be adjusted up or down without binding on the bodywork.

It was a beautiful piece but did not do the job for me.

My second attempt was to put an aftermarket wing on the upper part of the screen, one that could be adjusted for height or angle. The added weight made the whole screen shake but I had less buffeting and noise. Still not satisfactory.

Last week, in Daytona, I saw another NTX and the owner had just installed a new screen that was 2" taller than stock but it looked exactly like the OEM screen...all those odd curves and everything. It turns out the guy making these is in St. Augustine, Florida. That's just about 30 miles north of Daytona. A couple days later I drove to St. Augustine and visited the shop. They made a replacement screen while I waited, using my old one as a mould. They put the sheet plastic in an oven to soften it up and then can shape it to the same contour as the OEM screen. That's important because our mounting bracket is designed in such a way that the screen won't clear the bodywork unless the screen has these odd indentations. I had to go back the next day to have them drill the mounting holes for a perfect fit (first day I was in the car...it was raining all day).

Here I am attempting to hold the old screen up to the new one, showing how the new one is taller but not wider.

This shows how the new screen is dished in to meet the mounting bracket but still allow the screen to clear the bodywork and freely move up and down.

Note how the new screen wraps around the side of the bodywork...just like the OEM screen.

The company is Gustafsson Plastics, Inc; www.bikescreen.com; 904-824-3443. The new screen cost about $200 and has reduced both noise and buffeting to the point where I don't notice any of either.

Peter Y.

pyoungbl screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 12:43 PM Reason: correct photo
pyoungbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #4376
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I just put two rubber washers in the lower bracket which allowed the shield from Calsci to adjust easily. Even my original shield caught a bit at the bottom on full raise.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #4377
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Last week I had exactly the same vibration issue...3500 rpm, right handguard vibrating against the master cylinder. A large velcro pad took care of the problem.
+3
I slid a piece of rubber hose between the handguard and master cylinder.....noise gone!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #4378
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Today's ride was to Saguaro Lake was quite nice. All paved today. It occurs to me we keep going to lakes and forget to take pictures of the lake. But the following are some fun pics.

This is typical of the topography.

I like this one just for the distortion

I like this one as it shows off the matching orange piping on my new light weight Bilt jacket:)

One of my wife's favorite pics.

I thought this artist who was working away was quite good

Here the same thing showing a more realistic appearance after I photoshopped it...for some reason a lot of color is lost when I transfer from my phone to my computer
Old 03-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #4379
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is another artist's rendition

Another view

capturing the photographer
Old 03-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #4380
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Haha....samesame.