Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #4381
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,509
Danged, Farkles for this thing are expensive and hard to find, and all the directions are in Italian.

It will be a work on the bikes, in the garage, and stay away from the snow type of weekend I think.

Marc
Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #4382
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,661

Mistrial rocks.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #4383
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,509
Yes they do. and speaking of Mistrial's, has anyone figured out a way to keep them from after-firing a LOT on deceleration?

Marc
Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #4384
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
Yes they do. and speaking of Mistrial's, has anyone figured out a way to keep them from after-firing a LOT on deceleration?

Marc
Todd over at GuzziTech says he can. I kind of like it myself.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #4385
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post

Mistrial rocks.
Shocking what the stock can weighs when you take it off isn't it? It's worth it just for the weight savings.

Quote:
I kind of like it myself.
Me too.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #4386
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post

Marc
The new muffler opens things up a bit since it removes the CAT. As a result, you're running even leaner than you were, which is what's causing the popping and farting. To fix it, you need to richen the mixture, which means futzing with the ECU/EFI. Todd has one solution (arguably the sure-fire, plug-and-play and be done solution.....$$$$), but there are others out there (Redline Racing says they can reflash your ECU for you if you give them your list of mods for $300, you can go buy a PC-V and roll your own maps, go buy Tune Boy and roll your own, etc).

Two notes on this stuff. First, running lean means running hot. That's never good. However, point two is if you run richer, you use more fuel, so your mileage suffers (by how much is TBD). Pick your poison......

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #4387
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 743
Todd also reflashes ECU's.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #4388
Boro128
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Show off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post

Mistrial rocks.
Biggest Cock I have ever seen
Boro128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #4389
ripngrip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro128 View Post
Biggest Cock I have ever seen
Made my Friday morning...
ripngrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #4390
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
The new muffler opens things up a bit since it removes the CAT. As a result, you're running even leaner than you were, which is what's causing the popping and farting. To fix it, you need to richen the mixture, which means futzing with the ECU/EFI. Todd has one solution (arguably the sure-fire, plug-and-play and be done solution.....$$$$), but there are others out there (Redline Racing says they can reflash your ECU for you if you give them your list of mods for $300, you can go buy a PC-V and roll your own maps, go buy Tune Boy and roll your own, etc).

Two notes on this stuff. First, running lean means running hot. That's never good. However, point two is if you run richer, you use more fuel, so your mileage suffers (by how much is TBD). Pick your poison......

-SM
Or for even less money you can use the Fat-Duc emulators....of which I have for sale (Shameless plug) I decided to have Todd flash my ECU so the emulators are up for sale.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #4391
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
Todd also reflashes ECU's.
Surely we're talking a relatively minor adjustment here? Without seeing the existing map you can't know if it incorporates a Long Term Fuel Trim, which the ECU 'learns' and adjusts over time, but just richening it up a couple of points acording to an exhaust gas analyser should be possible: I doubt you need to rewrite the entire ECU.

I know TuneBoy charges a LOT of money to provide a cable, software and a unique-to-the bike 'key'; as an alternative, it might be worth seeing if the freeware TuneECU software can interrogate the Guzzi's ECU: it works fantastically well for some Aprilias, KTMs and Triumphs. They make available the software and some alternate maps on an honesty donantion basis.
Using a $10 interface cable from fleabay, I recently installed a map created by a guy in California specifically for our common models: he tuned it for 87 Octane fuel and even without a gas analyser, my consumption improved by 25%, the formerly pretty smooth V-twin has become turbine smooth - and there is so much extra power that just whacking on the throttle tosses the front wheel (of a 250kg bike) in the air.
His point was that the original map was too rich pretty much everywhere, to ensure the engines run cool and to hide some response glitches. Of course, extra fuel just washes oil off the cylinder walls and promotes carbon build-up: using a dyno at steadily more throttle, he has produced the bike the factory SHOULD have made in the first place. He requests a $25 donation....

I wonder if this can be done for Stelvios too?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #4392
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Surely we're talking a relatively minor adjustment here? Without seeing the existing map you can't know if it incorporates a Long Term Fuel Trim, which the ECU 'learns' and adjusts over time, but just richening it up a couple of points acording to an exhaust gas analyser should be possible: I doubt you need to rewrite the entire ECU.

I know TuneBoy charges a LOT of money to provide a cable, software and a unique-to-the bike 'key'; as an alternative, it might be worth seeing if the freeware TuneECU software can interrogate the Guzzi's ECU: it works fantastically well for some Aprilias, KTMs and Triumphs. They make available the software and some alternate maps on an honesty donantion basis.
Using a $10 interface cable from fleabay, I recently installed a map created by a guy in California specifically for our common models: he tuned it for 87 Octane fuel and even without a gas analyser, my consumption improved by 25%, the formerly pretty smooth V-twin has become turbine smooth - and there is so much extra power that just whacking on the throttle tosses the front wheel (of a 250kg bike) in the air.
His point was that the original map was too rich pretty much everywhere, to ensure the engines run cool and to hide some response glitches. Of course, extra fuel just washes oil off the cylinder walls and promotes carbon build-up: using a dyno at steadily more throttle, he has produced the bike the factory SHOULD have made in the first place. He requests a $25 donation....

I wonder if this can be done for Stelvios too?
Does this apply to us Yanks? Running too rich to keep the engine cool does not seem to be the case with US-spec vehicles!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #4393
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Does this apply to us Yanks? Running too rich to keep the engine cool does not seem to be the case with US-spec vehicles!
Mr B - I cannot speak for you poor, oppressed souls! But the fellow that did this remapping (admittedly of a 10-year-old bike, as it is now) lives in California - is that still considered part of America?
You will be blighted by o2 sensors, lambda sensors, Cats, dogs, deer, moose and probably elk too.
What brand is the Stelvio's ECU?
Old 03-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #4394
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
What brand is the Stelvio's ECU?
They use a Marelli (5AM from memory) - popular ECU choice. Interested to know if the solution works.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #4395
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

TuneECU

Here would be a good place to start a'lookin':
http://www.tomhamburg.net/TuneECU_En/index.html

If there's enough demand, perhaps Tom in Hamburg (Germany) and his colleagues would be able to make their software work for Guzzis - then it will just need someone to create more accurate maps: this requires knowledge, (a bike, obviously), extensive dyno-time, an industrial-grade vehicle exhaust gas analyser and a good deal of patience.

But as a mere user who has remapped both my own and my wife's Aprilias - the changes are astounding: what was a pretty smooth bike before became turbine-like; the power delivery & throttle response is noticeably snappier and more insistent and best of all, the fuel burn-rate was improved hugely.
If there's a down-side, it is that the bike is marginally slower to start up from cold: being EFI, I have a start-up sequence that I ALWAYS perform (pilot training!): bike in neutral, no clutch, kill switch off, key on - allows all sensors to calibrate, all check-systems to cycle; kill-switch on - allows stepper-motor to cycle and fuel pump to prime; then thumb the button, no throttle.
It will crank 3-4 times before firing up; I fancy that before the remapping, it maybe cranked over a bit less. A small price to pay!