Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #4516
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,290
I thought it was Nuevo Tomale Xtracaliente?
Old 04-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #4517
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
Has anyone ridden to old, 180 rear tyred Stelvio AND a 150 sectioned one? I'm wondering what the handling characteristics are on the road, with a view to maybe changing to the 150 wheels. Ta!
I haven't ridden the wide-wheeled version, but if anyone has a wide wheel hanging around and feels like giving it away (or close to that ), I'll be happy to liberate it from the corner of the garage.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #4518
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Mine came with the wide rear. I swapped it for the narrow one.

Biggest change was a little quicker turn in.

Much better tire selection for the riding I do with the 4.25 rim....

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #4519
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
Mine came with the wide rear. I swapped it for the narrow one.

Biggest change was a little quicker turn in.

Much better tire selection for the riding I do with the 4.25 rim....
My problem is that I like to ride both on and off-pavement, and no tire is good enough for me for both (sorry, Heidenau ).

I'd love a second set of wheels, with the wide rear rim, for on-road tires. But since I usually change my own tires, they'd need to be really cheap to be worthwhile.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #4520
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Riding offroad

Guys,

do you keep traction control on or off when on gravel? I assume ABS would be off, but maybe not for everybody.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #4521
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 769
My bike came with the 180 rim. Changed to the 150 rim to open up a much greater choice of tires. All I can tell you is that going from the 180 rim to the 150 rim made the bike feel like it shed 150 pounds. I can't help but think that that rim is exactly what the engineers at Guzzi intended for the bike.

I like the 150 rim so much that I sold my 180 rim.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #4522
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
My bike came with the 180 rim. Changed to the 150 rim to open up a much greater choice of tires. All I can tell you is that going from the 180 rim to the 150 rim made the bike feel like it shed 150 pounds. I can't help but think that that rim is exactly what the engineers at Guzzi intended for the bike.

I like the 150 rim so much that I sold my 180 rim.
Seems a clear choice then! I may well be moving to the cast wheels too - I'm too careless to look after spoked, mine look shocking. but the worst thing is that with the tyres they have on now, they leak air from the rim/tyre joint. So I'd have to stick with the OE Pirellis to be sure of a proper match - not a great way to keep costs down long term...

Thanks for the feedback folks!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #4523
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
...they leak air from the rim/tyre joint...
This means your rim is bent or your tire is damaged or defective. Any properly sized tubeless tire should mount up fine and hold air regardless if you're using the tubeless spoked or cast wheels.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #4524
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
This means your rim is bent or your tire is damaged or defective. Any properly sized tubeless tire should mount up fine and hold air regardless if you're using the tubeless spoked or cast wheels.
B
Old 04-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #4525
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Keep in mind 2 things. First, Adam is posting from the UK, and depending on where he lives/rides, rust can be a very big issue there. Second, the Guzzi Stelvio uses the Alpina STS system, which is a thru-the-rim spoke system. If any of the spoke seats are damaged or have begun to rust, they'll leak. Just saying it's not necessarily a bent rim or bad tire bead.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #4526
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
Guys,

do you keep traction control on or off when on gravel? I assume ABS would be off, but maybe not for everybody.
I turn mine off. The next time you're riding on gravel, try making a quick stop with the ABS turned on.

Don't try this going down a steep hill, BTW. Some years ago there was a ride report here that showed the effects of riding downhill on a gravel road with ABS. There was a pic showing a big GS in a ditch because the bike wouldn't stop. That pic alone convinced me to turn off the ABS, esp in hilly areas.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #4527
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Keep in mind 2 things. First, Adam is posting from the UK, and depending on where he lives/rides, rust can be a very big issue there. Second, the Guzzi Stelvio uses the Alpina STS system, which is a thru-the-rim spoke system. If any of the spoke seats are damaged or have begun to rust, they'll leak. Just saying it's not necessarily a bent rim or bad tire bead.....

-SM
He stated that it was leaking at the tire-rim junction, hence the bent rim statement. Obviously the wheel could be damaged in many other ways.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #4528
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

-SM
Aluminium does not rust.

The rims are not steel.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #4529
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
Guys,

I have TC off most of the time unless it's wet, snowy, or icy and I'm on pavement. ABS stays on most of the time unless I'm on a loose surface (like gravel, sand, or loose dirt), though I usually keep it on for hard-packed surfaces (including snow).
Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #4530
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
You'd think - but no. Changed to a Conti Trail Attack - lost air lots - checked all - concluded it was the tyre. Changed it. Same but less. Stick another make road tyre on it, okay again. It just seems the trail attacks don't like the rim.

That said, there is some damage to it, but not in any sealing area - just corrosive damage from (and this is just supposition) tyre weld type gunk...

And yes - it's definitely from the tyre/rim joint. The corroded nipples and rim are just red herrings