ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #4531
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adam R's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sunny East Midlands, UK
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
That said, there is some damage to it, but not in any sealing area - just corrosive damage from (and this is just supposition) tyre weld type gunk...
Hope this url works...
__________________
Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 2008

Adam R screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 10:42 AM Reason: Correcting the image code
Adam R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #4532
Mr Grumpy
Old Git.
 
Mr Grumpy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal QC Canada.
Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Aluminium does not rust.
If we're splitting hairs, you're right, Aluminium does not rust, it certainly corodes though.
__________________
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my Uncle.

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers!
Mr Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #4533
James Adams
Misplaced
 
James Adams's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: stuck in traffic
Oddometer: 9,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post


Did you try cleaning it at all? A non-metallic brillo pad should take care of it.
__________________
2009 KTM 505xc-f Rally
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #4534
James Adams
Misplaced
 
James Adams's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: stuck in traffic
Oddometer: 9,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy View Post
If we're splitting hairs, you're right, Aluminium does not rust, it certainly corodes though.
I think that rocker59's point was that aluminum oxidizes very differently (and far less destructively) than steel.
__________________
2009 KTM 505xc-f Rally
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #4535
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adam R's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sunny East Midlands, UK
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post


Did you try cleaning it at all? A non-metallic brillo pad should take care of it.
The damage goes several millimeters deep - I cleaned it, neutralised it, filled it and have been using it ever since. This wasn't the problem.
__________________
Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 2008
Adam R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #4536
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adam R's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sunny East Midlands, UK
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
The damage goes several millimeters deep - I cleaned it, neutralised it, filled it and have been using it ever since. This wasn't the problem.
Oil around the rim/tyre junction bubbles consistently - showing where the leak is... so no, the corrosion around the rim was just a coincidental find.
__________________
Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 2008
Adam R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #4537
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy
 
RRVT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Burlington, VT
Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I turn mine off. The next time you're riding on gravel, try making a quick stop with the ABS turned on.

Don't try this going down a steep hill, BTW. Some years ago there was a ride report here that showed the effects of riding downhill on a gravel road with ABS. There was a pic showing a big GS in a ditch because the bike wouldn't stop. That pic alone convinced me to turn off the ABS, esp in hilly areas.
Yeah, I know to keep the ABS off. One time I forgot to turn them off and there was a scary moment when braking while going downhill. The only reason I mentioned ABS was because I know some riders keep it on even on gravel but that's not what I want to do.

I was more curious about the traction control, whether there is any benefit in keeping it on offroad. That's assuming my main objective is to not wipe out, I don't need to do that fancy sliding back wheel stuff...
__________________
Roman
Burlington, VT
2009 F800GS, 1995 R1100GS, 2013 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2002 Triumph Tiger, 1984 Honda Magna with Velorex Sidecar, 1969 Jawa Sport
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #4538
GerryL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: western MA
Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
Has anyone seen the new issue of RoadRunner magazine? There is a Burnt Orange Stelvio on the cover....
I hadn't seen this post before, and I learned that I bought the bike that was used for that article/ride. I went to New Haven Powersports to look at the new V-Stroms back in January. After checking it out, Chris asked me if I had seen the Stelvio. I wasn't really up on MG, but upon seeing it, I was in love. So was Robin (my partner, wife, and accountant!).
It was their demo bike, available for a ride. The problem was that it was January, with snow and ice. My work schedule was busy and every time I was free, we had another snowstorm. I was sure it was going to be snatched up before I got to ride it (and I really wanted to since I had never ridden a guzzi, and didn't see any other opportunity to). But unbelievably, the cards fell into place during the last week of March; the bike was still there and I was off work. I scheduled a demo ride and took it out...and I liked it! And I had just sold a FXLR that I bought new in '89, so I bought the Stelvio. I am really liking it. Yesterday I took a ride, ended up being 345 miles; from western MA, out into NY, around Lake George, up to Ticonderoga, into VT, over the Green Mtns, and back home...all on one tank of gas! I love it!
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #4539
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy
 
RRVT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Burlington, VT
Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
I hadn't seen this post before, and I learned that I bought the bike that was used for that article/ride. I went to New Haven Powersports to look at the new V-Stroms back in January. After checking it out, Chris asked me if I had seen the Stelvio. I wasn't really up on MG, but upon seeing it, I was in love. So was Robin (my partner, wife, and accountant!).
It was their demo bike, available for a ride. The problem was that it was January, with snow and ice. My work schedule was busy and every time I was free, we had another snowstorm. I was sure it was going to be snatched up before I got to ride it (and I really wanted to since I had never ridden a guzzi, and didn't see any other opportunity to). But unbelievably, the cards fell into place during the last week of March; the bike was still there and I was off work. I scheduled a demo ride and took it out...and I liked it! And I had just sold a FXLR that I bought new in '89, so I bought the Stelvio. I am really liking it. Yesterday I took a ride, ended up being 345 miles; from western MA, out into NY, around Lake George, up to Ticonderoga, into VT, over the Green Mtns, and back home...all on one tank of gas! I love it!
You got bloody good deal on that bike. I was watching it on Craig's List in March and couldn't believe it was still there, day after day. I couldn't do it because I didn't want to mess up the process of refinancing my house, plus I am pretty psyched about getting a bike from Moto International and taking a cross-country trip to bring it home later this summer. But yeah, 13K for last year NTX with only 2,800 miles on it, I was like "What's wrong with you people?"

Just today I stopped at MotoVermont and chatted with Eric, the owner, about your bike. The other bike in that article was the Multistrada from his rental stable. I am gonna rent that one for a day from him, just to see what it's like to ride a Ducati.
__________________
Roman
Burlington, VT
2009 F800GS, 1995 R1100GS, 2013 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2002 Triumph Tiger, 1984 Honda Magna with Velorex Sidecar, 1969 Jawa Sport
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #4540
GerryL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: western MA
Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
You got bloody good deal on that bike. I was watching it on Craig's List in March and couldn't believe it was still there, day after day. I couldn't do it because I didn't want to mess up the process of refinancing my house, plus I am pretty psyched about getting a bike from Moto International and taking a cross-country trip to bring it home later this summer. But yeah, 13K for last year NTX with only 2,800 miles on it, I was like "What's wrong with you people?"

Just today I stopped at MotoVermont and chatted with Eric, the owner, about your bike. The other bike in that article was the Multistrada from his rental stable. I am gonna rent that one for a day from him, just to see what it's like to ride a Ducati.


I was thinking the same thing, especially since the final price was 12700. I could not say no to that, especially since they come with side cases, bars, aux lights. I ws looking at the S10, Tex, BMW, but this one really did it for me...and Robin liked it best out of all of them. After yesterday's ride I still can't believe it weighs what the papers say. It sure doesn't feel it to me.
Oh, I emailed Chris today; he said they got 14 guzzis in today!
I have to say they were great to deal with. He gave me a good deal on heated grips too.
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #4541
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 309
I read the above and come to the following conclusions.....you don't know how to ride and you always blame the equipment. Just boggles me.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #4542
GerryL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: western MA
Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
I read the above and come to the following conclusions.....you don't know how to ride and you always blame the equipment. Just boggles me.
What are you talking about?
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #4543
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Aluminium does not rust.

The rims are not steel.
Some spokes are. That's what I was guessing at....rusting spokes, and I've seen LOTS of those in the UK.

Anyway, hope he finds the source of his leak. My wheels are rock solid air tight, which is a nice change from my old BMW GS wheels.....

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #4544
Mr. B
Contrarian
 
Mr. B's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
Yeah, I know to keep the ABS off. One time I forgot to turn them off and there was a scary moment when braking while going downhill. The only reason I mentioned ABS was because I know some riders keep it on even on gravel but that's not what I want to do.

I was more curious about the traction control, whether there is any benefit in keeping it on offroad. That's assuming my main objective is to not wipe out, I don't need to do that fancy sliding back wheel stuff...
Sorry, I misread your question. I have turned off my traction control on gravel, but didnt notice any effect unless I really cranked on the throttle.
__________________
'12 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
'06 Honda Helix
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #4545
Gobius
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Oddometer: 127
SOLD!! Anyone looking for a skinny rear wheel? I've got a never-mounted skinny rear wheel assembly, including brake disc, ABS ring, and brand new Scorpion Trail tire. My Stelvio is on the way out (long story), and I never got a chance to switch over. PM me if interested.


Gobius screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 03:25 PM
Gobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014