Old 04-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #4636
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I like Mr Grumpy's Ninja approach

Thanks for the tip.

Yes, I've been reading about the less than robust sparkplug caps and sourcing NGK replacements.
I had problems with the plug caps after my first service. I haven't replaced them yet...I just wrapped them in HV splice tape.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #4637
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,641
Has anyone had any issues with their battery box? I went to wire up some things and after pulling the batter, the battery box was brittle and parts of it just turned to dust. Kind of weird that plastic would corrode like that.

Marc
Old 04-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #4638
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
Has anyone had any issues with their battery box? I went to wire up some things and after pulling the batter, the battery box was brittle and parts of it just turned to dust. Kind of weird that plastic would corrode like that.

Marc
No, but given the angle that the battery and box is at, any excess fluid (acid) from the battery will not only run into the box (and obviously do "bad things" to it), but can also dribble onto the cover for the starter motor and part of the Y-pipe and make a bit of a mess. DAMHIK.....

One other note re. the battery, be sure to coat the terminals w/ that battery terminal goop (or back in the day we used vaseline). Does wonders at keeping the connections clean and functioning well. For some reason the Stelvio battery terminals really like to corrode.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #4639
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
No, but given the angle that the battery and box is at, any excess fluid (acid) from the battery will not only run into the box (and obviously do "bad things" to it), but can also dribble onto the cover for the starter motor and part of the Y-pipe and make a bit of a mess. DAMHIK.....
Does the Stelvio come with a AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery? I would assume it would given the battery position. Normally a AGM battery can be held at pretty much any angle as the liquid acid is absorbed into the glass mat and the top of the battery cells are sealed, there's no vent opening on these batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
One other note re. the battery, be sure to coat the terminals w/ that battery terminal goop (or back in the day we used vaseline). Does wonders at keeping the connections clean and functioning well. For some reason the Stelvio battery terminals really like to corrode.....

-SM
Hmm... good to know I'll make note of that.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #4640
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Does the Stelvio come with a AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery?
It does come with a good quality maintenance free battery and yes, always coat the terminals of a battery.

If acid is getting out something very bad is happening - in this case I imagine something else is the problem (small rats with powerful little jaws? ). If it's the battery they cost arong 12.75 to replace...

...just kidding, they're REALLY EXPENSIVE!!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:53 AM   #4641
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Just returned from the IBMWR (Internet BMW Riders) annual get-together in Branson. Many experienced riders, good place to pick up info. Two comments of interest:

First, one riding couple from SanAntonio, TX -- he on a 1200GS, her on a 650GS -- both equipped with fresh Anakee 3 tires. Interesting design, not the block pattern at all. Only had 1K miles on them. He was told to expect up to 20% more mileage from the 3's than the previous Anakee 2's and the price was only $5.00 more than the 2's.

Second, H. Reid from Racine, WI was there on his R1200RT, very experienced rider. His bike -- just 3 years old with 101,000 miles on it -- had a pretty well worn set of PR3's. When I asked how many miles he was going to get on them, he said the Michelin Rep had told him to expect up to 11% less than what he had gotten on the previous PR2's.

All for now. Ride safe.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #4642
RefJeff
Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer: 171
Picked up my new 2013 Stelvio on Saturday. All I can say is WOW.

So different than my 1991 Suzuki GSX1100G. Even though both of these bikes weigh about the same, the Stelvio easily feels at least 100 pounds lighter.

Added a Fenda Extenda as soon as I got it home. Looks good and gives added protection.

You'll notice mine came with the additional orange piece by the turn signals. My dealer got 2 orange bikes in, mine had the extra orange, the other one didn't. Go figure.
RefJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #4643
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,083
Congrats!!! I can't wait till I can make the same post, very soon I hope.

Are you sure it's a 2013 not a 2012? That extra orange in the front had appeared to be one of the differences between them. Do your luggage boxes have the updated latches & lid sealing?

If I could find a 2013 with the extra color I'd be ecstatic.

Thanks for posting a foto, looking forward to reading an initial ride report and impressions.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #4644
vivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Like that bit of Orange. I first ordered the Orange bike but changed to black. I thought I would have wanted the faring to match but just that extra bit makes a difference.

Enjoy the bike!

Vivo
vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #4645
RefJeff
Is it Friday yet?

VIN is a 2013.

Chalk it up to the way MG operates. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Mine didn't have the front fork reflectors but had the extra orange. The other one had the reflectors but not the extra orange.

And I have the updated cases with the one-piece gasket and updated latches.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #4646
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
You don't know how lucky you are to get the proper signals and mirrors.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #4647
RefJeff
Is it Friday yet?

It didn't come with the Euro turn signals and mirrors. I had them installed before delivery.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #4648
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Redline Performance is now showing a 2013 model with cast wheels, no Trax and the orange mustache. Same price as the model with spoke wheels and Trax and black mustache.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #4649
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
Redline Performance is now showing a 2013 model with cast wheels, no Trax and the orange mustache. Same price as the model with spoke wheels and Trax and black mustache.
I think it's just an incorrect stock photo.

http://www.redlinemotors.com/default...tail&id=334994
Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #4650
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,818
Mine is an orange 2013. It has a black mustache and when I noticed that some out there had an orange mustache, I thought that the extra orange looked better. After further reflection though, I prefer the version I have.