Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #4666
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
I feel the fasteners for the side covers aren't worth fiddling with. Plus you can easily break or damage the plastic pins they sit over. I just used cutters to snip them and reassembled with a small dab of glue to hold the two pieces together. Then there is the guy who drilled a hole in the appropriate place in the covers so as he could reach in with an Allen wrench and tighten up the signal bolt. He then just used a rubber plug in the hole.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #4667
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
I feel the fasteners for the side covers aren't worth fiddling with. Plus you can easily break or damage the plastic pins they sit over. I just used cutters to snip them and reassembled with a small dab of glue to hold the two pieces together. Then there is the guy who drilled a hole in the appropriate place in the covers so as he could reach in with an Allen wrench and tighten up the signal bolt. He then just used a rubber plug in the hole.
On one side, I cut the fasteners and then used a small zip-tie and a dab of hot glue to hold them in place. They should be easy to remove again if ever necessary. On the other side, I was able to re-use the mangled fasteners. It's a pain any way you do it.

I think that drilling a strategic hole might be the best solution, I wish I'd thought of that before.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #4668
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
On one side, I cut the fasteners and then used a small zip-tie and a dab of hot glue to hold them in place. They should be easy to remove again if ever necessary. On the other side, I was able to re-use the mangled fasteners. It's a pain any way you do it.

I think that drilling a strategic hole might be the best solution, I wish I'd thought of that before.
I used the appropriate size "E" clips from Lowes - popped them on and then seated them tight using a socket - no issues
Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #4669
RefJeff
Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer: 179
My impressions so far ...

First let me say for the last 10 years Iíve owned a 2004 Harley Fat Boy and then a 1991 Suzuki GSX1100G. So the only bikes I can compare the MG to are those. Also my comments are relative to my experience and expectations. Everyone has a different perspective.

So with that said, what do I think after the first 150 miles?

As has been stated by numerous inmates, the Stelvio does not feel as heavy as its listed weight. My Suzuki weighs just about the same as the MG but the Stelvio ďfeelsĒ at least 100 pounds lighter. The steering is very light and the bike hides its girth very well. The seating position and sensation of the ride remind me of my 1987 Honda XL600, just with more horsepower and weight. It does not feel like a traditional street bike, more along the lines of a dual sport bike. Which is exactly what it is, an overgrown dual sport.

Coming from a 4 cylinder bike to a twin is a big difference. Surprisingly, my seat of the pants feel is that the Suzuki has more low end torque than the Stelvio and the fact that the 4 cylinder is smoother is without question. Slow speed corners are a bit rough at this point on the MG. I have to been careful it doesnít take one of those big chugs and then stalls. A little scary when youíre leaning in and you have to catch it with the clutch as you felt it was on the verge of stalling. It could be itís just me and I need more time getting used to the bike and the gearing. It may smooth out more as it breaks in also.

While the MG has plenty of power, and Iíve heard the comments about how hard the power hits and fast it revs, it pales in comparison to the 4 cylinder. Again, itís all in what youíre used to. The Stelvio is certainly good enough. Iíve felt the buzz in 3800 rpm range that has been discussed. At this point it isnít anything that isnít tolerable. I can see where at some point I wonít even notice it.

The wind protection from the stock windscreen is more than adequate. My Suzuki has a quarter fairing so the MG protection is way better than what I was used to. I really donít notice any buffeting or noise. We are, after all, riding a motorcycle so I donít expect to be in a quiet vacuum.

My first ride of a couple of hours in length will be this Friday. Iíll have a better idea of comfort after that but at this point I donít see any reason to believe it wonít be anything but comfortable.

So far, so good. Oh, and I love turning all the heads when they see this beautiful bike. Most people that are similar with the brand havenít seen the modern Moto Guzziís. All are pleasantly surprised.

2013 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
1991 Suzuki GSX1100G - For Sale
1980 Kawaski KDX 250

RefJeff screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 11:15 AM
RefJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #4670
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefJeff View Post
First let me say for the last 10 years Iíve owned a 2004 Harley Fat Boy and then a 1991 Suzuki GSX1100G. So the only bikes I can compare the MG to are those. Also my comments are relative to my experience and expectations. Everyone has a different perspective.

Coming from a 4 cylinder bike to a twin is a big difference. Surprisingly, my seat of the pants feel is that the Suzuki has more low end torque than the Stelvio and the fact that the 4 cylinder is smoother is without question. Slow speed corners are a bit rough at this point on the MG. I have to been careful it doesnít take one of those big chugs and then stalls. A little scary when youíre leaning in and you have to catch it with the clutch as you felt it was on the verge of stalling. It could be itís just me and I need more time getting used to the bike and the gearing. It may smooth out more as it breaks in also.

While the MG has plenty of power, and Iíve heard the comments about how hard the power hits and fast it revs, it pales in comparison to the 4 cylinder. Again, itís all in what youíre used to. The Stelvio is certainly good enough. Iíve felt the buzz in 3800 rpm range that has been discussed. At this point it isnít anything that isnít tolerable. I can see where at some point I wonít even notice it.
Congrats on the new steed!

Re. the engine at lower revs: These bikes are pretty tight when new, and mine is just now feeling "looser" at just under 6,000 miles. It seemed as if 5k miles was the real turning point. Also, unless the tech who did the PDI really knew his stuff and adjusted the TB's and reset the TPS prior to delivery, you're only feeling about 70% of what the engine is capable of, both in terms of smoothness and acceleration. Make sure this is done at the first service! It makes a huge difference in how the bike runs.

Power hit and fast? That's relative. Yep, it's got a nice hit at 5k rpm and from there it will accelerate nicely, but my Ducati will stomp it everywhere. What I find so appealing about the Guzzi however is it will lope along all day at 3k rpm and be a comfy, happy beast but will ALSO get frisky above 5k rpm if that's the mood I'm in. The Duc on the other hand always has this little edge to it just begging to be flogged.

Over time the big beast will smooth out. It will never be 4-cylinder smooth at all rpms, but it will be that smooth at certain rpms (on my bike it's right around 5k rpm).

Enjoy!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #4671
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefJeff View Post
Thanks for the first impression write up.

I find it very interesting to see how people coming from different bikes view the Stelvio.

I do think SM's comments about making sure it's setup correctly are good. I suspect that was the difference between the 2009 I rode first and the 2012 I rode later, at least terms of smoothness. I walked away from the 2009 ride thinking "I can't live with this beast" while I came away from the 2012 ride ready to buy one. The vibration levels were dramatically different and I suspect the difference was the TB sync. My BMW was the same when the carb sync went out of whack.

Even though 4 cyl engines tend to be smoother they are also buzzy at times so it's a matter of picking your poison in my view. Even the Explorer 3 cyl I rode had periods of higher frequency vibes (read buzz) and most rave about how smooth that engine is. Now the 800 triple, that's another story and amazingly smooth, nearly electric motor smooth.

BTW, I like that old GSX1100G you have, I would love to park one of those in my garage.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #4672
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterChaos View Post
Elk Grove motorsports near Sacramento? I was in there two weeks ago and they had an orange one and I thought it was a '13 model.
I called up Elk Grove Powersports today. I spoke with Allen and he went and checked for me. Unfortunately they don't have a 2013 Orange Stelvio in stock, only a black one.

It seems like it's easier to get the black ones, but I really prefer the orange. I wish they still offered the red color from before. I'm REALLY not into this flat black look that is trendy right now.

I guess my local dealer is still hunting. I sent an email earlier today but haven't heard back from them yet. I will call them a bit later.

One of the 2nd or 3rd things I asked when I originally went in was "how hard is it to get a 2013 model?" I was told no problem..... we'll see.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 04-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #4673
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I guess my local dealer is still hunting. I sent an email earlier today but haven't heard back from them yet. I will call them a bit later.
They emailed me back. It looks like they have a line on a orange 2013 for me, they should have it in a couple weeks.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #4674
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
I called up Elk Grove Powersports today. I spoke with Allen and he went and checked for me. Unfortunately they don't have a 2013 Orange Stelvio in stock, only a black one.

It seems like it's easier to get the black ones, but I really prefer the orange. I wish they still offered the red color from before. I'm REALLY not into this flat black look that is trendy right now.

One of the 2nd or 3rd things I asked when I originally went in was "how hard is it to get a 2013 model?" I was told no problem..... we'll see.
They must have sold the orange one then, I know it was there when I stopped by.
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #4675
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Well I rewired the accessory lights today. Sure enough both had rubbed and burned through, left worse than right. This time I coated them in Gorilla tape. Ultimately I think I will go LED in most everything as it simply brings down the heat/voltage.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #4676
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
Well I rewired the accessory lights today. Sure enough both had rubbed and burned through, left worse than right. This time I coated them in Gorilla tape. Ultimately I think I will go LED in most everything as it simply brings down the heat/voltage.
The issue is two-fold: First, the H3 bulbs come w/ a long pigtail that needs to go "somewhere". Second, with the metal body of the Hella lights, the pigtail, even if you wrap it in something else, MUST be coiled inside the rear rubber boot and NOT the light body. As long as the excess wiring is put in the rubber boot, people have not had an issue. Apparently Hella is quite clear on this topic in their installation manual, but it's also apparent that it's not written in Italian because my bike, as delivered from the factory/dealer, had the excess wiring left inside the light body and electrical Armageddon ensued.

So....if you want to keep your Hellas, pop the rubber boot off the back of each light and make sure the wiring is coiled in there and you shouldn't have an issue. Mine are already toast, so I went w/ LEDs and couldn't be happier. A big plus to the LEDs that I have is they're waterproof, so a deep fording won't fry them, but the Hellas are not sealed, so keep water above the level of the lights! Remember, if your Stelvio aux lights short and pop that fuse, you also lose your generator and you'll be dead by the side of the road shortly thereafter. Poor design, and one they should have thought a LOT more about before they stuck those lights on the bike. It's the ONE thing they really need to change in the next revision.

-SM
Old 04-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #4677
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Poor design, and one they should have thought a LOT more about before they stuck those lights on the bike. It's the ONE thing they really need to change in the next revision.

-SM
Yep, it's a hellava situation.

I bought the MondoMotos LED's but I need to machine a pair of brackets to mount them. I've decided to live with the Hellas for a while to get some use out of them. I've purchased a few feet of this http://www.abthermaltech.co.uk/high-...iresleeve.html and plan to place this sleeve over the wires then coil the wires in the rubber boot.

2012 Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100

Demar39 screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 06:48 PM
Demar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #4678
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
.... they should have thought a LOT more about before they stuck those lights on the bike. It's the ONE thing they really need to change in the next revision.

-SM
Yes, at minimum put some fuses on those little beasts. Having some aux lights take you down hard is not good at all.

At least thanks to you all I know what my first "must do" will be when I get it home.

Probably second will be a thorough regreasing of the suspension and steering head bearings.

Third grease/coat the battery terminals and double check the fuse block for proper seating etc.

Seems like a checklist for new owners needs to be developed. From all I've gathered its a matter of getting these bikes setup properly from the start that makes all the difference.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #4679
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
From all I've gathered its a matter of getting these bikes setup properly from the start that makes all the difference.
Look at that.....you're thinking like a Guzzista before even becoming one! Congrats!

-SM
Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #4680
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,673
Maybe I'll make a fused connector that goes in between the lamp and wire harness and offer them up for sale, cheap. Plug and play.....