Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #4681
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Maybe I'll make a fused connector that goes in between the lamp and wire harness and offer them up for sale, cheap. Plug and play.....
Makes sense.

A headlight relay kit would be good also. A company called Easter Beaver makes such kits for other bikes but I don't see any Guzzi specific one. It might be easy to use one of the generic H4 dual light kits though. They offer a few options such as single light for low beam etc.

I plan to do the headlight relay deal. Running all that current through the switch gear is just silly, yet so many bikes do it that way to save a buck.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #4682
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I think I will switch to the LEDs. So what fits, is at least as bright. And is water proof. And does not cost an arm and a leg?
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #4683
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
I think I will switch to the LEDs. So what fits, is at least as bright. And is water proof. And does not cost an arm and a leg?
The MondoMotors lights will fit those requirements...except for the arm and a leg part. http://www.mondomotos.com/

I have the MM10 lights and they do a great job of making me more visable, I suspect they do a good job of adding light at night but since I try to not ride at night I can't make any claims in that area. The only drawback is that the brackets are pretty flimsy. Mine broke in the first 1K miles so I made replacement brackets our of billet aluminum.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #4684
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
The MondoMotors lights will fit those requirements...except for the arm and a leg part. http://www.mondomotos.com/

I have the MM10 lights and they do a great job of making me more visable, I suspect they do a good job of adding light at night but since I try to not ride at night I can't make any claims in that area. The only drawback is that the brackets are pretty flimsy. Mine broke in the first 1K miles so I made replacement brackets our of billet aluminum.
+1

Very happy with my MM10's (lights only....I just used the existing Guzzi wiring harness and switch), and 1/2 the price of the PIAA LEDs.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #4685
bublik
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Coming from a 4 cylinder bike to a twin is a big difference
Great observations, thank you.
I am new here, just got Stelvio last week and so far cant get off it . It is a great machine!!! However, indeed coming from the 4 cylinders, will need to get used to the engine. And "buzz" in the machine goes away after needle passes 4000, I think the "sweet" spot is between 4000 and 4500.
bublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #4686
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bublik View Post
I am new here, just got Stelvio last week and so far cant get off it
Congrats on the purchase.

You new owners are killing me. I can't wait to become one of you. Hopefully no hiccups along the way and I'll be posting up the same statement in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the link to the MM lights.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 04-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #4687
henerythe8th
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28

Anyone here seen or heard of a failed centerstand?

I ruined mine this morning just attempting to put the bike up on it!
The left leg bent inward around 15 degrees just below the cross bar!

henerythe8th screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 06:57 PM
henerythe8th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #4688
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
The only thing I have heard is the center stand coming loose or falling off. Not bending..... Hmmm..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #4689
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by henerythe8th View Post

I've not heard of this. Contact the selling dealer and see what your options are. Chances are it will be replaced under warranty.....in a few months....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #4690
Cloudhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by henerythe8th View Post

As far as I know there is a service bulletin out, at least in Europe, to replace the center stand with a modified version, which adds an additional triangular piece between the horizontal bar and the down bar that is bend.
Actually haven't heard of a bend one yet, but some broken ones, hence the bulletin.

Mine is still the standard one, have to chat with my "local" main dealer i guess.
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #4691
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
As far as I know there is a service bulletin out, at least in Europe, to replace the center stand with a modified version, which adds an additional triangular piece between the horizontal bar and the down bar that is bend.
Anybody with a 2013 have a center stand with extra bracing?

I can see the problem there. If you get things a bit off to one side you've got 600 lbs loaded on just one leg of the stand and there's no bracing at all.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 04-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #4692
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefJeff View Post
First let me say for the last 10 years Iíve owned a 2004 Harley Fat Boy and then a 1991 Suzuki GSX1100G. So the only bikes I can compare the MG to are those. Also my comments are relative to my experience and expectations. Everyone has a different perspective.

So with that said, what do I think after the first 150 miles?

As has been stated by numerous inmates, the Stelvio does not feel as heavy as its listed weight. My Suzuki weighs just about the same as the MG but the Stelvio ďfeelsĒ at least 100 pounds lighter. The steering is very light and the bike hides its girth very well. The seating position and sensation of the ride remind me of my 1987 Honda XL600, just with more horsepower and weight. It does not feel like a traditional street bike, more along the lines of a dual sport bike. Which is exactly what it is, an overgrown dual sport.

Coming from a 4 cylinder bike to a twin is a big difference. Surprisingly, my seat of the pants feel is that the Suzuki has more low end torque than the Stelvio and the fact that the 4 cylinder is smoother is without question. Slow speed corners are a bit rough at this point on the MG. I have to been careful it doesnít take one of those big chugs and then stalls. A little scary when youíre leaning in and you have to catch it with the clutch as you felt it was on the verge of stalling. It could be itís just me and I need more time getting used to the bike and the gearing. It may smooth out more as it breaks in also.

While the MG has plenty of power, and Iíve heard the comments about how hard the power hits and fast it revs, it pales in comparison to the 4 cylinder. Again, itís all in what youíre used to. The Stelvio is certainly good enough. Iíve felt the buzz in 3800 rpm range that has been discussed. At this point it isnít anything that isnít tolerable. I can see where at some point I wonít even notice it.

The wind protection from the stock windscreen is more than adequate. My Suzuki has a quarter fairing so the MG protection is way better than what I was used to. I really donít notice any buffeting or noise. We are, after all, riding a motorcycle so I donít expect to be in a quiet vacuum.

My first ride of a couple of hours in length will be this Friday. Iíll have a better idea of comfort after that but at this point I donít see any reason to believe it wonít be anything but comfortable.

So far, so good. Oh, and I love turning all the heads when they see this beautiful bike. Most people that are similar with the brand havenít seen the modern Moto Guzziís. All are pleasantly surprised.
Great info for me, RefJeff, with my being the owner of a '93 GSX1100G. Even as old as the G is, technology-wise, it is tough to match the all-around flexibility and performance of that engine; and this coming from a guy who doesn't particularly like I-4's. Most of them put my hands to sleep, but the G is eerily smooth, and makes usable power from idle to redline.

Looking forward to your next report, as the Stelvio is one of two bikes on my short list, along with the Super Tenere.

I guess I'm now officially de-lurked.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #4693
henerythe8th
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Anybody with a 2013 have a center stand with extra bracing?

I can see the problem there. If you get things a bit off to one side you've got 600 lbs loaded on just one leg of the stand and there's no bracing at all.
Reading on some other boards has revealed that another gusset has been added below the cross brace.

BTW -- A call to Tony @ Empire Cycles in Spokane got one ordered he'll call when it arrives. They're handling it RIGHT!
Thanks Tony!
henerythe8th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #4694
RefJeff
Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer: 164

My 2013 has the added bracing, but only on the left (shifter) side.

Now they might want to add a stiffer return spring. I've noticed several times I've had to give it an extra kick to retract all the way.
RefJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #4695
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
Looking forward to your next report, as the Stelvio is one of two bikes on my short list, along with the Super Tenere.
That's an easy choice - just ride them both, then add up all the goodies you get with the Stelvio to the Tenere price, and the winner will be: The Stelvio

The Tenere is just not very exciting, it's almost like slightly better V-Strom.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote