Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #4756
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Tires: my favorite subject! I've used TKC80s and Scorpion Rally's, and I have a big-bike dual sport ride coming up next month. I ordered a set of Kenda Big Blocks. I've heard great things about how the tires feel, and terrible things about how they wear.

Most people are reporting a bit less life than TKCs, but for the price ($201 for the set), I couldn't pass these up. Besides, I'll just put the street tires back on after the DS ride-- at least that's what I keep telling myself.

For reference, I managed about 3500 miles out of the TKCs. I'll keep y'all posted...
Heidenau K60s - then you don't need to swap them out again till they're all gone, after about 10,000 miles.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #4757
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Heidenau K60s - then you don't need to swap them out again till they're all gone, after about 10,000 miles.
I won't run those, but I know that lots of people like them.

Edit: I'd run a Mitas E-07 rear with a knobby front if I was taking a long trip that was going to involve lots of gravel roads.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #4758
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Quote:
I won't run those, but I know that lots of people like them.
Do you have a particular aversion to them? You're the first person I know that doesn't like them...
Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #4759
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Do you have a particular aversion to them? You're the first person I know that doesn't like them...
I don't like that center strip on the rear, especially on wet surfaces, and the front does not give confidence on lose surfaces.

Plus, the hard compound rubber just does not make me feel very confident in the grip in general.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #4760
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,337
Quote:
Two questions: might it be fuel-brand related?
Second, and at the risk of lecturing dad's mum in the art of extracting ova, do you crack the throttle while cranking - even slightly?
Injected bikes usually prefer to sort out their own start-up fuel metering, to the point that I hit the starter not with a thumb, but a pointed fore-finger...
I don't think it is fuel brand related as it has done it on two tanks of good premium gas. of course who knows what actually comes out of the pump these days.

I also do NOT even touch the throttle when starting as on an FI machine it only confuses things.

Marc
Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #4761
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
Agreed. We'll say a Molex"type"connector. When I worked as an Industrial electrician I came across those quite often.
I looked at the Molex website but the style didn't match that close.

I have also used quite a few Molex connectors over the years. Mouser electronics sells a ton of connectors but it's really hard to reference them

I think the one I posted from Eastern Beaver is the closest I was able to find after some searching. The guy who runs that site sources his stuff in Japan where most of the motorcycle companies shop for suppliers. I don't know if there's an Italian connector supplier or not. Lately quite a few Euro bike companies have been sourcing components from Japan.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #4762
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
Has anyone had any issues with the bike cranking fine and not starting up? Sometimes mine does this but it does start on the second or third try. Just wondering if anyone has run into this and has any ideas ?

It usually happens after riding for about 1/2 hour and then letting it sit for an hour, Like doing lunch, but the other day it did it cold right out of the garage.

Marc
This will sound lame but...here goes...the ground from battery to engine is to a 6mm bolt under the starter. This is a weak point in the system. You can make the whole starting experience better if you move that connection to a more sturdy attachment. In the meantime, check the existing connection to make sure it is getting the best possible contact. You have to take the plastic starter cover off first. The ground is below the starter. Hey, it can't hurt and might even solve the starting problem.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #4763
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
MTW 110 Sumitomo connector shown on this page of Eastern Beaver's website[/URL]

This is the connector (or at least looks like it from the photos I took of my connector up close today. I have some on order to try them.

My Molex crimper will work on these too...
Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #4764
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Quote:
I don't like that center strip on the rear, especially on wet surfaces, and the front does not give confidence on lose surfaces.

Plus, the hard compound rubber just does not make me feel very confident in the grip in general.
Admittedly not on a Stelvio, but on another 1000cc V-twin 250kg 100hp Italian dual-sport: I'm on my third set of K60s, ride them rain, hail or shine in mud, gravel and bitumen and have never had an issue.
They have enough grip to drag my toes in turns and power-wheelie out of slow corners on tarmac.
I stand on most dirt roads and the front has enough traction that I can spin up the rear wheel to tighten up a turn and they offer useful retardation when the wildlife makes a wrong turn in front of me - the furry kind AND the Toyota-wearing kind.
Tourances, in comparison, are diabolical anywhere except dry asphalt - and short-lived.
I seem to average about 9000 miles on a set of K60s: every journey starts & finishes with a couple of miles of loose gravel (or slippery clay if it's raining!) and the bike gets used as a tourer with large tent, all camping gear and needs for a week or ten-day trip, commuter and rapid response (volunteer fire-fighter).
Oh, and the K60s have enough bitumen grip to perform stoppees too....

What's not to like?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #4765
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,421
I recently did a 2400 mile trip to New Mexico from Austin Texas on my 2011 Ninja 1000 and even though I find the bike to be incredibly satisfying to ride, I have decided to replace it with a new Stelvio - by 2014, if not this winter.

We have a future retirement home in West TX, on the border of New Mexico and I plan on going there more often each year and my 51 year old body is getting pretty beat-up during the 1100 mile round trip on the interstate. Also, I won't take the Ninja on the wide smooth gravel roads which are in abundance in New Mexico.

I owned a couple of Guzzis in the 1980's:

The new Stelvio has a much better build quality and finish than I remember my LeMans having.

The abundant wind protection, wide seat and upright riding position is just the ticket for helping me handle the 1100 miles I will be riding to our retirement place - and touring the wide gravel county roads from there.
Taking this bike on a test ride re-kindled my interest in a Guzzi.

The Ninja 1000 is a brilliant bike, and my KLR 650 is my rock - but its time for some luxury ADV riding!

I'll also be selling the Buell Super TT - as much as I hate to!

But I've got to get my long-term motorcycling priorities in order. Besides I still will have my Buell S3.

Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #4766
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:

What's not to like?
I'm glad you like them. Like I mentioned before, I'm well-aware that the K60s are loved by many for being all-around "superman" tires. I don't want to compromise; I want a street tire for the pavement and a knobby tire for the dirt, and I'm willing to swap tires around more often to make that happen. Please don't waste your time trying to convince me that the K60 is the answer to my needs.

And just to clarify, you won't see me riding on Tourances either.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #4767
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Hey Ian, I think you NEED K60's.

Marc
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #4768
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
Hey Ian, I think you NEED K60's.

Marc
Marc, one of these days...

Hey, are you going to join us for the Dino ride? We can be the mafia team. But I don't think you'll want to be running the Heidenaus...
Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #4769
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Quote:
Marc, one of these days...

Hey, are you going to join us for the Dino ride? We can be the mafia team.
To the Moon eh?

I don't think I am going to be able to make the Dino ride unfortunately. Time between work, the cabin, and working on the old goose are keeping me very busy for a while at least. I hope you all have a blast.

Marc
Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #4770
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
All I'm going to say is that if you like the k60's you owe it to yourself to try the E07's.

I found them superior in every way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote