Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #4891
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I use the Wolfman Enduro bag. The Wolfman Rainier fits well also, but it's quite large. The strap mounting (on both) works just fine.

I definitely think that the powered option for $174 is not worth it; I run a USB charging cable from the jack on the dash to the bag and that works just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
You can do your own 'power into the bag' by using the Powerlet kit. I usually use a red hot nail to punch the bolt holes so I get a sealed hole. The ones I have done have always outlasted my ownership of the bike (4-5 different bags/bikes). Low tech but it works just fine.

Peter Y.
Thanks guys. If their powered options was cheaper I'd go for it not problem, but I can do a lot with $174, it's nearly the price of the bag.

JA, what mounting strap kit from Wolfman did you use, the universal one? That's what I have on my Vstrom now. I might try this out just to see but I'm leaning towards a strapless approach, not sure yet.

pyoungbl, which setup did you use from Powerlet?

Can anybody post up some pix of their setup?

I'm thinking to just do my own power into the tank bag, whether it's my Wolfman or a Bags-connection City.

My current approach is I bring power up to the bag via a lower left side connection that I used for heated gear, then place the heat troller in the bag and run the cord back out through a small opening in the zipper. My GPS is powered from a separate powerlet socket on the triple clamp. I can split the line from the triple clamp for extra device charging and back into the bag.

It's kinda messy this way. I think I'd prefer to have power into the bag directly somehow, then split it inside the bag for my heated gear and charging, then have the GPS powered directly from the dash outlet.

I don't mind having a pig tail on the bag that plugs into a socket on the bike someplace.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #4892
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 451
Electrical Mods

I mounted the heat controller on the left handguard. It is secured with a zip tie through two holes drilled in the plastic handguard. This puts the controller up where I can see it and make whatever heat adjustment are necessary. I also catch the times when I have left the controller on with nothing plugged in. The controller is fed power via a fuzed connection to the battery. A better idea might be to use the OEM connector for the cig plug in the dash. The controller feeds out via a coax plug. I hook in a coiled wire to go from the controller to my vest. First I plug the coiled wire to my vest, then get on the bike and plug into the controller. With my helmet on I can still see what I'm doing since everything is away from my body. Trying to do this with the connection inside the bad was too frustrating. Here's a photo of where I have the controller....note that I was trying to show something else in the photo, just accidently caught what I want to show now.

Powerlet has a bunch of options. I used the one that gave me a SAE connector into the bag. Inside the bag it has another SAE that plugs into a splitter with cig outlet on one side and SAE on the other. There are lots of other combinations possible. To get the power to the bag you want another fuzed source...once again, the OEM outlet on the dash looks like a good source (from the wiring harness, not from the actual cig outlet because they are noted for not being very secure).
http://www.powerlet.com/product/basi...-power-kit/288

I use the bag to charge stuff like my phone or iPad. It's better to use the outlet under the passenger seat for charging the phone since that location is less likely to get wet in a heavy rain.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #4893
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
JA, what mounting strap kit from Wolfman did you use, the universal one?
Universal for the Rainier. I don't think that there are any choices with the Enduro bag.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #4894
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I think I need to try my Wolfman bag & universal harness to see how it works first. It will also give me some sizing reference if I want to go with another bag.

I need to give the power connection thing some deep thought. I try to keep my stuff modular because I use some of it on different bikes. I had been swapping my tank bag and heat troller between the Vstrom and KLR. I also use the heat troller on my DRZ w/o a tank bag.

It looks like doing my own setup with the powerlet kit will run ~$50 or so, certainly less than $174. I also "suspect" the connection might be better over time and more flexible bike to bike.

I will do a little more browsing and planning. I think I need to order some powerlet sockets in any case.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #4895
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
I have an older Wolfman tank bag that I swap between my WR and my "other" bike (Stelvio, etc). I did the "roll your own" Powerlet setup on my BMW GS a few years ago, and honestly I was never a fan of a powered tank bag. What I hated was all the wires in it for bike power plus all the adapters for gadgets, audio cables for my Autocom (which I've since gotten rid of....what a POS that was), etc. It was a nightmare. Now I just make sure my "stuff" is charged when I leave in the morning, whether it be from my house or from my hotel room if I'm traveling. No need for bag clutter. It helps that my Garmin Zumo is also my Bluetooth hub, and that IS powered by the bike, so it relays audio from all devices to my BT headset (Cardo Scala G4....highly recommended, although I think you can only get the new G9 nowadays). No mess, and no fuss.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #4896
RAD3766
0ld n00b

Oddometer: 51
Stelvios invade bike night

3 Stelvios in one place at the same time?
From Two Wheeled Texans Wednesday Bike Night in Katy Tx.

2014 Road Trip: https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=a73953b592cac95c7
RAD3766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #4897
Cloudhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I have 2 very simple questions:

- How do you get on your Stelvio with the TRAX Panniers mounted?

- How do you get off your Stelvio with the TRAX Panniers mounted?

Do you swing or slide your leg over?
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #4898
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
I have 2 very simple questions:

- How do you get on your Stelvio with the TRAX Panniers mounted?

- How do you get off your Stelvio with the TRAX Panniers mounted?

Do you swing or slide your leg over?
Being the vertically challeneged person that I am, I slide my leg though.

Marc
Old 05-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #4899
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 769
Like getting on a horse. With the bike on the stand, i put my left foot on the left peg and then stand up and swing my right leg over.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #4900
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
Like getting on a horse. With the bike on the stand, i put my left foot on the left peg and then stand up and swing my right leg over.
I do this. I'm not short and still younger than Lomax.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #4901
Oca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I just posted the same question on Guzzitech. I am not vertically challenged, with a 33" inseam, but throwing my 63 yo right leg over the panniers is a bit of a stretch (good for the groin muscle).

I did see a video with the NXT fully loaded and the rider slid his leg through the seat.

I will have to try the "horse" method.
Oca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #4902
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:

33" inseam here as well, but the "horse" method just makes it a non-issue.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #4903
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
+1

I use this method for any bike that has as top box, wide luggage, or is fairly tall.

Those cowboys were on to something when it came mounting a tall steed.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #4904
Cloudhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I'm horizontally challenged, so too small for my weight. (Last time i said that to my mum she looked at me and asked me: "How tall should you be? 4 meters?" (thats 13'2" for you imperial folk). I still love her to bits.)
And I have a 31" inseam.

Now i swing over with no panniers, but just discovered that i can't clear the damn right pannier and not slide in it too.

I'm an unathletic fat immobile meat sack at 35
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #4905
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD3766 View Post
3 Stelvios in one place at the same time?
From Two Wheeled Texans Wednesday Bike Night in Katy Tx.

Love it!!!

Maybe some time we need to see how many Stelvio riders we can round up in the greater Los Angeles area and plan a day ride.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S