Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #4966
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Mine are actual. The trip computer is overly optimistic in mine.
I think they are all overly optimistic..although I'm on the low end.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #4967
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,795
Well I just got back from my first "real" ride on the bike. I did a ~150 mile loop through some of the local mountains. I refueled at 220 miles on the trip meter and put in 5.8 gallons. So I got ~37.9 mpg or so on the first tank. I wasn't riding slow through the mountains but wasn't super hard on the gas either as the motor is still pretty fresh.

Apparently there is a lot of fuel left once you are on the last bar. I was showing the last bar when I refueled but it looks like there was more than 2 gallons left.

A few observations from the ride.

1. The bike is truly a beast, you don't flick it from side to side in the twistys. But it's the consummate "gentleman's express". You can maintain quite a rapid pace without breaking a sweat or working very hard. The motor never seems to feel stressed and the handling is very planted and predictable. I'm extremely happy with the handling. Even in bumpy corners it doesn't get upset or out of shape.

I backed off on the fork compression dampening about 1.5 turns, perfect. I went about 1 turn stiffer on the rear shock preload and I think it needs maybe 1 click or so more rebound, but it's close now with only me and a lightly loaded top box. With a pillion and loaded bags it's going to need more rear preload and rebound.

2. The brakes are awesome, perfect, nothing needed here at all.

3. The power is fine and it will pull quite well from a slow corner from about 2,500 rpm without any drama. The engine is really quite flexible and the upper rpm range is magic. This engine very much has a dual personality, just so very cool. I'm looking forward to the reflash and later the the PCV/AT combo. My only real bitch is it loves to die at the first intersection when it's cold. You have to keep the revs up, it behaves like a carb'd bike when cold.

4. Transmission is wonderful, very smooth shifting and never missed a shift. I do think 1st gear could be about 10% lower though. 6th gear is awesome from 80-90 mph, not good for the license. I need to keep an eye on the speedo as it's way too easy to find yourself humming along at 85 in total bliss and the stock mirrors are only good for showing very fuzzy images in a very narrow viewing range. I've never seen mirrors vibrate so much.

5. The windshield needs work, but then I kinda new that. Not enough air coming under it and I think it needs to be angled up more, possibly also a laminar lip or different shape near the top. I like to ride with my visor open through town or slow sections and it beats the crap out of me with the visor up.

6. The engine does put out some heat. During my ride the ambient temps ranged from about 77 to 93. I noticed when the ambient was 90+ I really felt the engine heat, very pronounced, when the ambient dropped to 85 or below it wasn't nearly as noticeable. I'm hoping Todd's claims of lower engine temps with the reflash will help in this regard. I may also muck about with some air deflectors just to see what's feasible/practical.

7. The ergos are good as is. I was planning on setbacks for the bars but I think I like them where they are. I like the shape and bend of them also. But..... when I got off the bike after ~100 miles or so I was surprised at how much my hands and arms tingled. I didn't notice it while riding but when I got off wow, very tingly.

I am going to be doing some work in this area of the bike, it's not optimal. Moving my left hand around to different locations I can see the bars themselves are acting like a large tuning fork not helping matters.

8. The seat is quite good. I still got a little monkey butt but not bad. I don't see changing the seat at all.

9. Gotta spend a little time with the heat gun and some goo gone. Those fugly warning stickers gotta go.

Here's a few pix from the ride.

I ordered up a bunch of stuff, I'll post up when I get it on the bike. The Euro signals/sport mirrors and heated grips are due in at the dealer in a couple weeks. I got those tossed into the deal.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #4968
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD3766 View Post
Well, Sophia wasnt feeling it this morning.
When I went to start her up this morning, turned the key to 'on', hit the start button and was rewarded with a single loud click and then the dash lights went out. There was also no power to anything else.

After Larry did some more 'driveway diagnostics', hes fairly certain its the dash unit that has failed, the first that he has seen or even heard of.
She'll be trucked up to MPH for further poking and prodding.
Please keep us posted on the results. That's a pretty major problem.

Funny bit about the names, my wife is claiming the bike is her boyfriend Stelvio, while I'm saying it's my mistress Stelvia, so what does that make the bike sorta "metro" ???

All I know is we're both getting a good ride experience.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #4969
RAD3766
0ld n00b

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Please keep us posted on the results. That's a pretty major problem.

All I know is we're both getting a good ride experience.
Absolutely will keep everybody up to speed.
Despite this problem, Im still very happy with her, just a bit of teething pains. Hope you enjoy your ride as much as I have mine.
(put on close to 1450 miles since May 3rd, so yes, Im diggin' the Guzzi experience.)
RAD3766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #4970
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,809
Quote:
5. The windshield needs work, but then I kinda new that. Not enough air coming under it and I think it needs to be angled up more, possibly also a laminar lip or different shape near the top. I like to ride with my visor open through town or slow sections and it beats the crap out of me with the visor up.
CalSci makes a good screen. I have the NTX Medium and with it in the low position, I can look over it (I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam) and also ride with my visor up with no issues--even at highway speeds. This is probably one of the better pictures that I have of it (it's in the low position here):

They've listed a non-NTX shorty screen for quite a while. I recently was in touch and asked them to make one that's also compatible with the NTX, and they've just recently added that. I ordered one (should arrive sometime this coming week); I'm hoping for something that will give me lots of clean air for the warmer weather.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #4971
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
CalSci makes a good screen. I have the NTX Medium and with it in the low position, I can look over it (I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam) and also ride with my visor up with no issues--even at highway speeds. This is probably one of the better pictures that I have of it (it's in the low position here):

They've listed a non-NTX shorty screen for quite a while. I recently was in touch and asked them to make one that's also compatible with the NTX, and they've just recently added that. I ordered one (should arrive sometime this coming week); I'm hoping for something that will give me lots of clean air for the warmer weather.
I'm VERY interested in hearing what you think of the CalSci Shorty windshield. Please report back after you've had time to evaluate it. -- Thanks!

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #4972
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Well I just got back from my first "real" ride on the bike. I did a ~150 mile loop through some of the local mountains. I refueled at 220 miles on the trip meter and put in 5.8 gallons. So I got ~37.9 mpg or so on the first tank. I wasn't riding slow through the mountains but wasn't super hard on the gas either as the motor is still pretty fresh.

The engine will loosen up noticeably within the next 5K miles and I think the tingling will go away. It would be interesting if you could actually measure the vibration now and compare to what it's like after the 900 mile service (assuming they balance the TBs) because that will smooth things out too. As you saw, the low fuel light comes on very early. My mileage improved as the miles increased so a range of 300 miles is well within reason, with a big safety margin.

Peter Y.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #4973
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
The engine will loosen up noticeably within the next 5K miles and I think the tingling will go away. It would be interesting if you could actually measure the vibration now and compare to what it's like after the 900 mile service (assuming they balance the TBs) because that will smooth things out too. As you saw, the low fuel light comes on very early. My mileage improved as the miles increased so a range of 300 miles is well within reason, with a big safety margin.

Peter Y.
At 6,400 miles now my NTX is running better than ever, but 300 miles from a tank is really pushing it for me. It'll usually take over 8 gallons to fill up if I go that far. Of course our speed limits are 75 on most roads and I find myself usually riding 80+.

Vibration on the other hand has never been an issue on this bike for me.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #4974
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
I'm VERY interested in hearing what you think of the CalSci Shorty windshield. Please report back after you've had time to evaluate it. -- Thanks!
Yes, I'm very interested to hear your report on the shorty.

I'd like to work out a mounting system that's more like the Madstad mount I have on my Vstrom that allows for both height and angle changes. The lower trim on the shield needs to be such it can be tilted forward. The stock trim has these lower points that restrict forward tilt unless it's pushed forward quite a bit.

One of the things that bugged me was I couldn't get enough air in the cockpit when it was hot.

Are there any other windshield options or is CalSci about the best so far? I didn't see anything from Zero Gravity. Has anybody tried the Givi shield?

00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 05-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #4975
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post

Peter Y.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
At 6,400 miles now my NTX is running better than ever, but 300 miles from a tank is really pushing it for me. It'll usually take over 8 gallons to fill up if I go that far. Of course our speed limits are 75 on most roads and I find myself usually riding 80+.

Vibration on the other hand has never been an issue on this bike for me.
I hope my mpg improves but with a pending reflash I doubt it. Somehow I don't think I'll be seeing 300+ mile ranges on this bike at least with California's idea of what gasoline should be.

I asked the tech if he checked the TB balance and got the answer "they are great from the factory", hmph. I plan to check it myself just to see how it looks. The vibes are not too bad.

I was really surprised at the tingly thing. I really didn't feel that while riding the bike, it was only after getting off. I didn't notice it on the return trip home so maybe it was the ~100 miles of mountain passes at speed that did it??? A good part of the return trip was freeway with a shorter pass and some back roads.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #4976
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,821
Quote:
I hope my mpg improves but with a pending reflash I doubt it. Somehow I don't think I'll be seeing 300+ mile ranges on this bike at least with California's idea of what gasoline should be.

I asked the tech if he checked the TB balance and got the answer "they are great from the factory", hmph. I plan to check it myself just to see how it looks. The vibes are not too bad.

I was really surprised at the tingly thing. I really didn't feel that while riding the bike, it was only after getting off. I didn't notice it on the return trip home so maybe it was the ~100 miles of mountain passes at speed that did it??? A good part of the return trip was freeway with a shorter pass and some back roads.
Finally had my TB's balanced at around 14k miles - they were a little off, but not a lot

As for range - remember the light comes on with 2 gasllons left int he tank - 60+ miles reserve

Milage will get slightly better over time - not not a lot.....I live at sea level and typically get 36-38mpg if not running uber TX freeway speeds (80+)

Last fall in CO and the SW, with the higher elevation & slower speeds I was getting 42/45mpg
Old 05-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #4977
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Well I just got back from my first "real" ride on the bike.
Thanks for the report and write-up!

I'm still rocking my MRA Xcreen "wing" on the top of my stock screen and am very happy with it. I have the clamp-on option because I wasn't sure I'd like it and didn't want to drill into my stock screen just to end up w/ holes in it, but it's working well enough that the drill is going to come out at some point in the future. I've found the best combo is to NOT use the "arms" that come with it, and just use the pivoting mounts (see pics here to get an idea of what I'm talking about: http://www.pureperformancecycles.com...-Spoiler-Blade ).

I'm good up to about 80mph with my face shield open on my Arai XD3, and well over that with my Arai Signet (no front "beak" on the helmet to catch the turbulence) with the screen all the way up. I can still see over both (I'm 6'0"), which is perfect because I really dislike looking through a windscreen.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #4978
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I'm still rocking my MRA Xcreen "wing" on the top of my stock screen and am very happy with it.

-SM
I'm probably gonna get one - had the touratech on other R100GS's and have always liked the effect at speed

If you are going down the highway and you put your hand up at the top of the stock window, with the flat of your palm perpendicular to the ground, you quickly see that it kills the roar from the stock screen as it lofts the dirty air over your head
Old 05-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #4979
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
A few notes.
I never trust but verify my computer on mileage but so far quite spot on. Much like My 2011 F150 which is nearly perfect every time. Maybe its this Montana air, but it was about the same down in Phoenix.

James I agree with the Calsci Medium...you and I have the same build (the rest of you can wish:)...I find the low setting perfect for visual use on trails and use the upper when into a heavy wind, cold weather, or need for ultimate quiet. Marked improvement over the OEM.

You know it could be the angle of your wrist or your shoulder causing an impingement producing the tingles after the ride. I really like these bars but my right wrist says I need to make some kind of adjustment after about one hour.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #4980
Oca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Nice write up. Took a ride to the beach with my wife (5'5" - 110#) through Protreo. The fire was devastating.

[QUOTE=danketchpel;21388395]Well I just got back from my first "real" ride on the bike. I did a ~150 mile loop through some of the local mountains. I refueled at 220 miles on the trip meter and put in 5.8 gallons. So I got ~37.9 mpg or so on the first tank. I wasn't riding slow through the mountains but wasn't super hard on the gas either as the motor is still pretty fresh.

Apparently there is a lot of fuel left once you are on the last bar. I was showing the last bar when I refueled but it looks like there was more than 2 gallons left.

A few observations from the ride.

1. The bike is truly a beast, you don't flick it from side to side in the twistys. But it's the consummate "gentleman's express". You can maintain quite a rapid pace without breaking a sweat or working very hard. The motor never seems to feel stressed and the handling is very planted and predictable. I'm extremely happy with the handling. Even in bumpy corners it doesn't get upset or out of shape. This is my second Guzzi (hence the name Oca). I am coming off an '06 Breva 1100 which I purcased new in August '06. Funny, I find this bike more flickable. It could be the narrower tires, or my riding skills have improved. . Planted is correct. It really feels like it is on rails.

I backed off on the fork compression dampening about 1.5 turns, perfect. I went about 1 turn stiffer on the rear shock preload and I think it needs maybe 1 click or so more rebound, but it's close now with only me and a lightly loaded top box. With a pillion and loaded bags it's going to need more rear preload and rebound. The way the shocks were set up for me (5'11" - 175#) were great out of the box. The 75 miles I put on with my wife on the back confirmed I do not need to do any further adjustments now. We will see what happens in a few 1,000 miles.

2. The brakes are awesome, perfect, nothing needed here at all. +1

3. The power is fine and it will pull quite well from a slow corner from about 2,500 rpm without any drama. The engine is really quite flexible and the upper rpm range is magic. This engine very much has a dual personality, just so very cool. I'm looking forward to the reflash and later the the PCV/AT combo. My only real bitch is it loves to die at the first intersection when it's cold. You have to keep the revs up, it behaves like a carb'd bike when cold. The transmission gearing is the same as my Breva. Guzzi's like to be reved. I am finding 4,000 - 4,500 is the sweet spot now.

4. Transmission is wonderful, very smooth shifting and never missed a shift. I do think 1st gear could be about 10% lower though. 6th gear is awesome from 80-90 mph, not good for the license. I need to keep an eye on the speedo as it's way too easy to find yourself humming along at 85 in total bliss and the stock mirrors are only good for showing very fuzzy images in a very narrow viewing range. I've never seen mirrors vibrate so much. I also find this bike easier to ride fast. It is very easy to get up in speed The mirrors suck. The reason is they are hollow to allow the wiring for the turn signals. I, as well, ordered the European conversion kit with the Tuono mirrors.

5. The windshield needs work, but then I kinda new that. Not enough air coming under it and I think it needs to be angled up more, possibly also a laminar lip or different shape near the top. I like to ride with my visor open through town or slow sections and it beats the crap out of me with the visor up. So far, I have no complaints about the OEM windshield. I find leaving it in the lowest position works for me to eliminate buffeting.

6. The engine does put out some heat. During my ride the ambient temps ranged from about 77 to 93. I noticed when the ambient was 90+ I really felt the engine heat, very pronounced, when the ambient dropped to 85 or below it wasn't nearly as noticeable. I'm hoping Todd's claims of lower engine temps with the reflash will help in this regard. I may also muck about with some air deflectors just to see what's feasible/practical. Welcome to the world of Guzzi with the heat.

7. The ergos are good as is. I was planning on setbacks for the bars but I think I like them where they are. I like the shape and bend of them also. But..... when I got off the bike after ~100 miles or so I was surprised at how much my hands and arms tingled. I didn't notice it while riding but when I got off wow, very tingly.

I am going to be doing some work in this area of the bike, it's not optimal. Moving my left hand around to different locations I can see the bars themselves are acting like a large tuning fork not helping matters.

8. The seat is quite good. I still got a little monkey butt but not bad. I don't see changing the seat at all.

9. Gotta spend a little time with the heat gun and some goo gone. Those fugly warning stickers gotta go.

/QUOTE]

Again, great write up.
Oca is offline   Reply With Quote