Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #4981
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,337
Got a fairly good test of the mileage today. Not really what I expected out of a V twin but not too bad. 180 mile trip on back roads and dirt, some high speed roads and a lot of first gear crawling. Computer says 34.7 MPG and actual was 34.6. So I guess that is close enough for me.

A Stelvio in its natural habitat, well around Colorado anyway.

Little rocks:

Big cities:

And plush Hotels: Hey NYC got nothing on us.

Marc
Old 05-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #4982
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
Got a fairly good test of the mileage today. Not really what I expected out of a V twin but not too bad. 180 mile trip on back roads and dirt, some high speed roads and a lot of first gear crawling. Computer says 34.7 MPG and actual was 34.6. So I guess that is close enough for me.

A Stelvio in its natural habitat, well around Colorado anyway.

Little rocks:

Big cities:

And plush Hotels: Hey NYC got nothing on us.

Marc
Lomax,

That looks like an awesome place to ride!!! Thanks for posting up the pix.

I plan to get into the dirt once I get a feel for the bike. The stock tires don't look overly dirt friendly but should suffice for graded roads.

What tires are you running?
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #4983
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,337
I am running the Heidenau K60 scouts at this time. They wear like iron but I have noticed that in certain situations they can be a bit vague. I have had some slippping on tar snakes but that is not abnormal. I ran them at 35lbs today and did not air down and they worked good. I think for any harder dirt work I would air them down a bit as they seem to have a very stiff side wall. 10K miles is not out of the question for wear however.

Marc
Old 05-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #4984
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
If you are going down the highway and you put your hand up at the top of the stock window, with the flat of your palm perpendicular to the ground, you quickly see that it kills the roar from the stock screen as it lofts the dirty air over your head
Exactly! That is exactly what I did, and how I came to the Xcreen as the solution.

Here's an interesting tidbit though. I thought heck, if just putting my hand up there fixes it, why can't I just "extend" the stock screen? So, I got my dremel wheel out and cut off/shaped a piece of Lexan that I had laying around and stuck it to my stock screen w/ Dual-locks. No joy. Even though I was looking through the add-on bit (about 4" taller than the stock screen when it was mounted), I was still getting some buffeting at higher speeds. I really needed that air gap between the screen and the "wing" to make it all work. Guess that "laminar flow" hooey isn't just hooey.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #4985
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Can one of you guys post up some pix of how your laminar lip setup looks? I was thinking about a laminar lip plus trimming away some of the lower portion of the stock screen to add some air flow under it. I need to review a post I saw of the windshield brackets being spaced forward.

I'm kinda liking that CalSci screen with the NACA duct in it. I'd like some airflow to the cockpit but not a hurricane. I'm thinking the medium/shorty combo might be nice, or the medium cut down just a tad more. I really don't like looking through the screen. I'm 5' 9". If I could get smooth airflow with a screen height similar to the stock screen in the low position and some flow into the cockpit that would be my ideal. It's possible that CalSci shorty might be good for me. I'm waiting to hear JA's evaluation of it.

I did the handfoil deal and found the same as you guys, but it's not easy to duplicate.

I would like to go with a slightly more dirt friendly tire when the stockers wear out but they have to be good on the pavement as the bike will see ~85-90% pavement overall. Tourances don't like tar snakes at all, very scary on bigger ones. For much of my dirt riding I will just use the DRZ.

I'll have to see how this beast feels in the dirt, it is dang heavy, about my only real "complaint" about the bike. I wish it was the weight of the Multistrada.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #4986
Cloudhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Are there any other windshield options or is CalSci about the best so far? I didn't see anything from Zero Gravity. Has anybody tried the Givi shield?

I have the Givi screen on mine, came with the bike.
Very quite behind it, can have the visor open well towards 60mph and I'm looking over that thing. (Mind you I wear glasses, which helps with the wind a bit). I'm 6'2" with a 31" inseam.
In fact it's so quite I'm thining of buying the standard screen to have a lower version for summer.
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #4987
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
I have the Givi screen on mine, came with the bike.
Very quite behind it, can have the visor open well towards 60mph and I'm looking over that thing. (Mind you I wear glasses, which helps with the wind a bit). I'm 6'2" with a 31" inseam.
In fact it's so quite I'm thining of buying the standard screen to have a lower version for summer.
I have the Givi too - it's pretty good, I agree. But it's just not nice to look at IMO, it upsets the aesthetics, I only put it on if I know I have lots of motorway riding ahead of me. I have a laminar lip on the floor next to me though, I'm hoping it may be the answer to all my dreams...
Old 05-13-2013, 01:55 AM   #4988
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
I have the Givi too - it's pretty good, I agree. But it's just not nice to look at IMO, it upsets the aesthetics, I only put it on if I know I have lots of motorway riding ahead of me. I have a laminar lip on the floor next to me though, I'm hoping it may be the answer to all my dreams...
+1.

While commuting to work, i keep the stock screen on. It just looks nicer.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #4989
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Another data point on fuel mileage -- recent trip to Luap's Mother's Day Guzzi Rally in Anderson, MO on my '12 Stelvio NTX. The bike now has 6600 miles on it.

The trip was 75% Interstate roads with many miles in the mid-to-high 70's, temps were 40's to 60's with gusty winds, the NTX was loaded with me (200# in riding gear) and normal camping gear (~100#).

Total Miles -- 1170. Fuel Used -- 30.194 Ga. MPG Calculated -- 38.75.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #4990
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
Throwing it out there... I get identical mileage with my 09 as Drif10 gets on his GSA. Loaded or not and regardless of speeds ridden.

Btw... I really like the Givi screen. 75 mph with the visor open (xd3) and I'm 6'4" 34" inseam.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #4991
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
I am running the Heidenau K60 scouts at this time. They wear like iron but I have noticed that in certain situations they can be a bit vague. I have had some slippping on tar snakes but that is not abnormal. I ran them at 35lbs today and did not air down and they worked good. I think for any harder dirt work I would air them down a bit as they seem to have a very stiff side wall. 10K miles is not out of the question for wear however.
Dan,

That's my former bike - I did a few long offroad sojourns on it.
The Heidenau's work really well offroad aired down to about 25psi. The front wants to wander in the marbles at 36psi, but feels planted at 25.

The rear went 10,600 miles and the front he just replaced at around 12,000.

(Marc, thanks for not cropping my Husqvarna out of your pics )
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #4992
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

The K60s sound like a pretty interesting choice. How would they rate as road tires?

Blakebird, it was nice to see your Husky in there, what model? A buddy of mine just picked up a TE449 and we ran across a guy with a Terra 650 on our last ride. I was close to buying a TE630 to replace my KLR, I really wish they hadn't dropped that model. I test rode one and liked it, went back a year or so later when I was close to pulling the trigger and they were gone, no more available.

It seems like the taller riders like the Givi. I'm thinking laminar lip on the stock screen with some mods to open up a little airflow under it. Where's the best place to search for a laminar lip?

I found some feedback on the CalSci shorty (older model?) over on WG and they weren't very positive. For the price I'm tempted to pick up a CalSci medium and work with it. I don't know how much the stock screen costs to replace.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #4993
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I don't know how much the stock screen costs to replace.
AF1 racing, NTX parts manual, then search for the part # price. NTX parts book has 3 wind screens shown:
887174- non-NTX $287.99
887134- NTX (non-us?) $287.99
887328- NTX- US, canada, etc- price wasn't listed
Old 05-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #4994
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,802
I should have my NTX shorty mid-week from CalSci.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #4995
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
So the laminar lip is on. Looks okay in the flesh, just had time for a bit of a dash and it seemed a big improvement over stock for wind noise, similar to the Givi. But it wasn't a great test - it's windy again today.