Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #4996
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
The K60s sound like a pretty interesting choice. How would they rate as road tires?

Blakebird, it was nice to see your Husky in there, what model?
I had the dealer mount the Heidenau's before I took delivery of the bike. I sold the take-off oem tires to Ian (James Adams).
I have nothing but praise for the K60 Scout, it not only wears like iron but were very confidence inspiring at a good pace....moreso than I expected.
I wanted a tire good for exploring Colorado's back country and they turned out to be a very good all around tire.

TR650 Terra....my 4th Husqvarna. When I did a clean sweep of the garage and sold Lomax the Stelvio, I traded my TE 310 in on the Terra as I was going to have just one bike for a few months.

Also had an '07 TE 610 and a TE 630. The 630 was a great dualsport, one of the best out there IMO. So far the Terra has been impressive even though it's a more road biased bike than the TE series.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #4997
RAD3766
0ld n00b

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD3766 View Post
Well, Sophia wasnt feeling it this morning.
When I went to start her up this morning, turned the key to 'on', hit the start button and was rewarded with a single loud click and then the dash lights went out. There was also no power to anything else..............
She'll be trucked up to MPH for further poking and prodding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Please keep us posted on the results. That's a pretty major problem.
Huzzah! Turns out the problem was a cross-threaded bolt for the ground cable under/behind the starter.
Being that the bolt was crossed it would have felt tight to the guy spinning the wrenches in the factory, but the ground was never correctly bonded.
Bolt hole threads chased out, ground remade, back in business.
As an FYI, this is the ground that requires pulling the starter to access, if anybody ever runs across this problem.
Also IIRC, there a mention somewhere in this thread about relocating the ground cables to a better location. On the to-do-list.

2014 Road Trip: https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=a73953b592cac95c7
RAD3766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #4998
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,743
Kenda Big Block tires installed this evening in preparation for the Dinosaur Run at the end of the month; I set aside the OEM set (originally Blakebird's tires) to put back on later. They feel about the same as TKC80s, except that I feel like they sing much louder on the freeway. I imagine that this will diminish a little bit over time or I will just get used to it. Or both.

Given the reviews and comparisons that I've read, I expect them to last about 2000 miles at most, but for $201.56 shipped I feel like that's still a per mile price on par with its closest competitors.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:29 AM   #4999
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Has anyone tried a smaller Laminar Lip that doesn't extend the size of the windshield but just changes the airflow over the top of it? I rode up to the dealer -- All Seasons Motorcycles in Wooster Oh. -- today to have my initial service done -- I always have the first service done by the dealer. It was 37 degrees when I left the house so I put the winshield in the full up position and it really does hlp block the wind but the buffeting is noticeably worse. I love this bike but NEED to figure something out on the windshield -- I went through the same thing on my V Strom and was saved by the Mad Stad bracket with it.

Oh by the way if anyone is looking for a new Stelvio -- All Seasons Motorcycle in Wooster Ohhas them in in both colors. They are great to deal with (I've bought a couple of bikes from them). While they were servicing my bike I took out the new 1400 cruiser -- I'm not a cruiser guy but this is a VERY nice bike and you can't believe how smooth the engine is one the revs come up over 2000 RPM.

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #5000
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Stelvio Canister Quick Disconnect

My Stelvio has turned 10,000 miles and generally runs great. I have, however, noticed some seemingly intermittent issues with starting, idling and off-idle transition. I decided to disconnect the evaporative canister to see if that would help. It did.

The evaporative canister system is designed to capture gas fumes from the tank and hold them in the canister for the vacuum of the throttle bodies to suck out and circulate back into the intake system.

A simple canister system will have a vent hose from the tank to deliver the fumes to the canister, a vent hose from the canister to vent any spare fumes or liquid fuel to the ground and a vacuum line from the throttle bodies to the canister to remove the fumes. Some canister systems have a electrical solenoid valve that opens and shuts the vacuum lines to better control the affect of the tap into the throttle bodies.

Apparently, the canister tap into the intake system on the Stelvio is upsetting the idle mixture and causing the issues I've noticed.

After disconnecting the canister my bike starts better, idles better and throttle response from idle is much better.

Scott has already provided a very good guide to disconnect and complete removal of the system-

http://forum.guzzitech.com/forum/221/9202.html

I didn't want to take the time for all of that just yet. I wanted to simply disconnect the system and test it. I can come back later with the tank and dash removal.

All that is necessary is to remove the vacuum lines attached to the banjo fittings at both throttle bodies and to make sure the tank has a good vent. The entire opertion took maybe 15-20 minutes.

I simply used some long neoprene vacuum caps, ties and a piece of hose.

Remove the vacuum line from each intake and replace with a cap and nylon tie for good sealing. I didnt even remove the banjo and the long cap fit over the tubing insert (modulator valve?) that protrudes out from the banjo fitting.

The removed vacuum line can then be stuffed out of sight up behind the manifold.

That's probably all that needs to be done but I wanted to be sure the tank had a good vent and that the canister did not inhibit that.

I easily removed the rear tank cover and replaced the stock vent line connection (the riders right side) with a short piece of hose.

I routed the hose down by the shock absorber. Job complete.

leafman60 screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 09:22 AM
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #5001
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD3766 View Post
Also IIRC, there a mention somewhere in this thread about relocating the ground cables to a better location. On the to-do-list.
There are two ground connections near the starter and both are suspect. One is direct to the battery and I think the other is to the ECU.

here you can see one above the starter and one below. The lower one goes to the battery. Remember that the - side of the battery is on the right so that ground cable is going from high right side of the bike to low left, it's a fairly long run and the cable is not very thick. Add to that the fact that the stud is only 6mm. Not a great situation.

A solution is to move both grounds to better connections. Here's a photo of the new battery ground.

I am using a bolt that secures the transmission to the block, on the right side of the engine. Not only is it a larger bolt, it's much easier to check for corrosion.

For the other ground (ECU?) I moved that to one of the starter bolts.

Once again, larger bolt and easier to see.

To upgrade the ground and starter wires I had new ones made up by http://www.motolectric.com/products/hicap.detail.html.
The new wires are made with very fine stranded copper that is much more flexible and of a larger diameter than OEM. Since the ground connection serves the entire system it should have a small benefit to everything electrical...heck, it can't hurt!

Peter Y.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #5002
henerythe8th
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
Has anyone tried a smaller Laminar Lip that doesn't extend the size of the windshield but just changes the airflow over the top of it? I rode up to the dealer -- All Seasons Motorcycles in Wooster Oh. -- today to have my initial service done -- I always have the first service done by the dealer. It was 37 degrees when I left the house so I put the winshield in the full up position and it really does hlp block the wind but the buffeting is noticeably worse. I love this bike but NEED to figure something out on the windshield -- I went through the same thing on my V Strom and was saved by the Mad Stad bracket with it.

Oh by the way if anyone is looking for a new Stelvio -- All Seasons Motorcycle in Wooster Ohhas them in in both colors. They are great to deal with (I've bought a couple of bikes from them). While they were servicing my bike I took out the new 1400 cruiser -- I'm not a cruiser guy but this is a VERY nice bike and you can't believe how smooth the engine is one the revs come up over 2000 RPM.
I have.
I purchased a new/second hand ADV shield for my 2012 DL650. (The bike is for sale, now...). I put the stock screen back on it and had the ADV screen that no one seemed interested in buying.
I took a chance and drilled 4 holes in the stock Stelvio screen and mounted the adjustable 'spoiler' on it.
It helps a huge amount!

If I am not mistaken that screen is an MRA Vario. I believe that they sell the spoilers separately. You may find a used screen from the 2012+ ADV for sale for far less money if you are patient...
henerythe8th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #5003
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Kenda Big Block tires installed
For what it's worth, these were much easier to install than the OEM tires were to remove. Much sweating and cursing may have been involved in removing those Pirellis.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #5004
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
For what it's worth, these were much easier to install than the OEM tires were to remove. Much sweating and cursing may have been involved in removing those Pirellis.
I trust you used the correct Italian swear words? It makes a difference!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #5005
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
I trust you used the correct Italian swear words? It makes a difference!
They're Kenda tires, so I used the appropriate Chinese vocabulary.

EDIT: Maybe that's why I had trouble getting the Pirellis off.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #5006
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
My Stelvio has turned 10,000 miles and generally runs great. I have, however, noticed some seemingly intermittent issues with starting, idling and off-idle transition. I decided to disconnect the evaporative canister to see if that would help. It did.
Thanks for the write up on this. I did something similar back when my bike was new and it didn't seem to make any difference. Maybe because it was new???

Just turned 6k miles on mine. Maybe I'll give it another try after the upcoming service.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #5007
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Yes, mine ran fine in the beginning and it wasnt running terrible lately. I have a theory that I have not tested yet. I think they use a spring-loaded modulator in the banjo to control the vacuum bleed to the canister and that may be hanging up with time. I dunno. I just wanted to do a quick disconnect.

I put my mercury stix on and checked the throttle synch and it was spot-on as previously set by Steve at Riders Hill.

Oh and by the way - I checked my valve lash again at 10k miles. It was also spot-on from my original set at less than 1000 miles. The valve train/mechanism has not shown any change or wear in 9000 miles. I don't really know if one needs to check it as often as specified. It's easy to do, though.

I've been running that Liqui-Moly 10-60 from NAPA at under $9/liter.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #5008
James Adams
Misplaced

CalSci tinted NTX shorty windshield came in today. I noticed that now they are now supplying spacer washers for the lower mounts along with longer screws.

I'll mount it tonight and we'll see how it works. I believe it's 5" shorter than the medium size.

FWIW, I recently checked my valves (at 9500 miles, last check was at 500 miles) and two exhaust valves (one on each side) were +0.001" and everything else was exactly on spec.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #5009
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
I have a theory that I have not tested yet. I think they use a spring-loaded modulator in the banjo to control the vacuum bleed to the canister and that may be hanging up with time.
Wouldn't this affect TB sync via the banjos?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #5010
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,834
Quote:
My Stelvio has turned 10,000 miles and generally runs great. I have, however, noticed some seemingly intermittent issues with starting, idling and off-idle transitionAll that is necessary is to remove the vacuum lines attached to the banjo fittings at both throttle bodies and to make sure the tank has a good vent. The entire opertion took maybe 15-20 minutes.

I simply used some long neoprene vacuum caps, ties and a piece of hose.

I had to do mine shortly after I got it - as sitting out in the TX summer heat at work it would stumble badly leaving for the day. That cleared the issue right up

I did the same thing with the banjos - however the otherday I bought and fitted the brass motionpro 6mm carbtune nipples - just as they are smaller and less likely to get bumped or lose the rubber cabs