User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #5041
Nextmove
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Airhawk question

I did try doing a search on the forum but wanted a specific Stelvio slant, which is sure to be in this marathon thread somewhere, but where?

Anyhoo, I know a few of you use Airhawks, and I've had one on a previous bike which had a concrete seat. It was brilliant, once I worked out that it needs to have very little air in it. My '12 Stelvio is very comfy as is but a couple of 500 mile day trips recently have left certain bits of anatomy a little tender, so I'm considering either a medium cruiser (I think that's the appropriate size) or the new 'R' model which has a tank cutout at the front and also supposedly takes a bit of pressure off the 'nads. Has anyone out there had any experience of the 'R' (and if not, have I guessed right for the medium cruiser)?
Nextmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #5042
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Thanks JA. A medium cut down 2" seems very appealing.

I'm very interested to see how Lomax likes it.

it.
Well OK here it is. I only have a couple of miles on the CalSci +4 (medium) and it is a love/hate relationship. Nice calm bubble behind the screen and no helmet buffeting. BUT the top of the windshield is right in my line of sight and the small chip on the top edge sure does catch the sunlight. I am 5'10" and have the seat in the low position. The windshield is in the lowest position.

I will ride it to work on the highway tomorrow but for my taste it is just too tall.

I think I will get with my windshield guy and have him lop 2" off then it should be just right.

Marc

Lomax screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 07:43 PM
Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #5043
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
Well OK here it is. I only have a couple of miles on the CalSci +4 (medium) and it is a love/hate relationship. Nice calm bubble behind the screen and no helmet buffeting. BUT the top of the windshield is right in my line of sight and the small chip on the top edge sure does catch the sunlight. I am 5'10" and have the seat in the low position.

I will ride it to work on the highway tomorrow but for my taste it is just too tall.

I think I will get with my windshield guy and have him lop 2" off then it should be just right.

Marc
Thanks for the initial feedback. What position did you have it in, all up or all down, or ?

I'm 5' 9" and was thinking it was going to be too tall for me. I don't really want one taller than stock, only one with smoother air flow.

Let us know how the -2" goes, seems about right to me also.

I'm thinking to mock up my own laminar lip deal and see how it works. I think better under screen flow plus control of the flow over the top is what's needed.

I like the straighter shape of the CalSci screen better than stock. I find the stock shape kinda strange. Mine is tolerable with it near the top and my visor shut. With my visor open any speed over 35 mph is unbearable and lowering it visor open or shut is unbearable.

I've got some thoughts on an adjustable "madstadd style" adjustable angle bracket. I won't duplicate his as I want to retain some of the stock setup. The stock brackets are really nicely made.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #5044
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextmove View Post
Has anyone out there had any experience of the 'R' (and if not, have I guessed right for the medium cruiser)?
I have an Airhawk R, but I've since gone back to just using the stock seat bare. I didn't feel like it really made any improvement. I wonder if the stock seat just needs some break-in time as I found it uncomfortable at first but now I like it.

I'll sell the Airhawk if you want it, it's dusty but holds air just fine.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #5045
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
This is how the updated version looks on my 2013. I think it was updated in 2012, not sure when.

My Oct 2012 looks like that
Old 05-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #5046
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
If I was 5' 9" I would stick with the original shield. For some reason they make all motorcycle shield for guys your size. And if you look at who does the test rides its the same thing. Just enjoy.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #5047
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demar39 View Post
My Oct 2012 looks like that
I picked up my bike in July 2012 and it doesn't have the extra gusset. I don't know the build date offhand.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #5048
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I picked up my bike in July 2012 and it doesn't have the extra gusset. I don't know the build date offhand.
Got mine late July right out of the box and it has the gusset. I only use the centerstand when servicing the bike of checking oil. Wouldn't need it to check oil if they had put the dipstick on the other side, speaking of which it has not used a drop between oil changes.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:41 AM   #5049
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Mods

So I've done some miles and thought I'd share some of the changes and how good/bad they have been for me.

New wheels (and down to a 150 rear - wearing tourances) - like them. look good, but wet roads are giving me some interesting feedback - but they aren't rusting as I watch (wheels, not tyres!). Good improvement overall - although I'll scour this thread for tyre choices when the time comes.

GPR silencer with DB killer Awesome. Aside from the slightly throaty roar, the 4k rpm slack spot (never much of an issue when you live with a bike) has filled out, notice having to change down a cog more and more. More interestingly, the power delivery coming from closed throttle (ie rolling back on after braking for a corner, slow speed town maneuvering etc) is much smoother, none of the snatch that you can sometimes get with standard. Well worthwhile.

Laminar lip Great again, pretty quiet, very calm and keeps the screen height to nearly standard - and (for me anyway) doesn't upset the aesthetics as much as the Givi screen I used from time to time.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #5050
Nextmove
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I have an Airhawk R, but I've since gone back to just using the stock seat bare. I didn't feel like it really made any improvement. I wonder if the stock seat just needs some break-in time as I found it uncomfortable at first but now I like it.

I'll sell the Airhawk if you want it, it's dusty but holds air just fine.
Thanks James, for your advice and offer of a slightly dusty 'R'. Very helpful in making up my mind.

My previous experience with an Airhawk had me loudly singing its praises (and not falsetto either) because I went from needing a replacement quoit after a maximum of 25 minutes on the road, to being able to comfortably sit for 2-3 hrs without a break, and no need for haemorrhoid treatment the next day even after a 4-500 mile run. But that was on a bike with a notoriously nasty seat.

I had a suspicion I wouldn't really be gaining much on the Stelvio, and you've confirmed that. I think I'll take your example and let things rumble for a while on the stock seat, which is by far the most comfortable I've ever had.

If someone else has a rave review of the difference an Airhawk can make on this particular bike, maybe I'll reconsider my options.

Dropping over two hundred bucks (for a new one sourced in or from Oz), if it will make bugger-all difference, is a non-starter. (Like most things motorcyclic they cost an extra kidney here in Oz over what they do in the US (or almost anywhere else in the world), but if I bought one from a US supplier the postage almost makes up the difference anyway).

Can someone explain why, in a country with supposedly about the strongest currency in the western world (well, I think it was last week anyway, but admittedly only until the Chinese decide they may not need quite so much of our iron ore) we pay more for all our imports than almost anyone else?? It's a worry.......

Hey, I know..... A sheepskin seat cover..... No shortage of those down here...... But hang on...... I think we import them from UnZud .......
Nextmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #5051
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Can someone explain why, in a country with supposedly about the strongest currency in the western world (well, I think it was last week anyway, but admittedly only until the Chinese decide they may not need quite so much of our iron ore) we pay more for all our imports than almost anyone else?? It's a worry.......
Eastern hemisphere?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #5052
mikep95
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Thanks for the initial feedback. What position did you have it in, all up or all down, or ?

I'm 5' 9" and was thinking it was going to be too tall for me. I don't really want one taller than stock, only one with smoother air flow.

Let us know how the -2" goes, seems about right to me also.

I'm thinking to mock up my own laminar lip deal and see how it works. I think better under screen flow plus control of the flow over the top is what's needed.

I like the straighter shape of the CalSci screen better than stock. I find the stock shape kinda strange. Mine is tolerable with it near the top and my visor shut. With my visor open any speed over 35 mph is unbearable and lowering it visor open or shut is unbearable.

I've got some thoughts on an adjustable "madstadd style" adjustable angle bracket. I won't duplicate his as I want to retain some of the stock setup. The stock brackets are really nicely made.
Here's what I've been running for the past year:

http://http://www.wunderlichamerica....e/8110360.html

i keep a bag with the right allen key in my topbox and just slap it on before a trip. I've been able to tune it and get rid of 90% of the buffeting. I put a Laminar Lip on my old R90 and it was great but didnt like having to leave it on all the time.

Mike
mikep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #5053
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,953
Hmm.... that's kinda interesting. It's sorta the replacement for putting you hand up there.

It's a tad expensive (~$129) but looks nicely made. It appears the bulk of price is in the very nice adjustable mounting system.

I think there was a problem with the link. Maybe this will work.

00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #5054
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,619
I'm with that guy...

Had it on my 2012, lost it in the weeds after the deer hit me, bought another for the 2013. It just works.

I tried to have the custom screen place in FL Peter used in attempt to replicate it in a onesie, but they said it had too many compound curves to curl the top edge.

Gustafsson Plastics, Inc.
1 (888) 824-3443, (904) 824-3443
1704 Lakeside Ave. Unit 1&2
Saint Augustine, FL 32084
www.bikescreen.com
Old 05-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #5055
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Thanks James, for your advice and offer of a slightly dusty 'R'. Very helpful in making up my mind.

My previous experience with an Airhawk had me loudly singing its praises (and not falsetto either) because I went from needing a replacement quoit after a maximum of 25 minutes on the road, to being able to comfortably sit for 2-3 hrs without a break, and no need for haemorrhoid treatment the next day even after a 4-500 mile run. But that was on a bike with a notoriously nasty seat.

I had a suspicion I wouldn't really be gaining much on the Stelvio, and you've confirmed that. I think I'll take your example and let things rumble for a while on the stock seat, which is by far the most comfortable I've ever had.

If someone else has a rave review of the difference an Airhawk can make on this particular bike, maybe I'll reconsider my options.

Dropping over two hundred bucks (for a new one sourced in or from Oz), if it will make bugger-all difference, is a non-starter. (Like most things motorcyclic they cost an extra kidney here in Oz over what they do in the US (or almost anywhere else in the world), but if I bought one from a US supplier the postage almost makes up the difference anyway).

Hey, I know..... A sheepskin seat cover..... No shortage of those down here...... But hang on...... I think we import them from UnZud .......
OK, I'll rave. I really love my AirHawk. So much so it's on its 2nd cover because I wore through the old one after 3 yrs of constant use on 3 different bikes. In every case, it made a huge improvement for me in all-day comfort, including the Stelvio.

The "magic" in that little pad is it does exactly what it's designed to do (remove pressure points) provided, like you discovered, you don't blow it up like a balloon. It distributes the weight evenly across my bum vs. pressing in the 2 spots where my butt-bones (I think that's the medical term ) press hardest against the seat. Look ma, no monkey butt!

I have the "original" one which has the bladder made from rubber (vs the less expensive synthetic version) and bought it very slightly used from someone who didn't get on with it for 1/2 the price of new. After 3 yrs and approx. 30k miles on it, I wouldn't ride without it. YBMV.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote