Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #5146
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
Damn i got a burn mark on my finger, that fool needs to be kept away from design decisions.
Half my ring finger is a blister and I'm due to leave on a 3 day trip tomorrow moring. Splendid.
I'll make sure to have you check my hot oil on the Griso...not any better.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #5147
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
Ok i found my first real gripe with this bike.

Which engineer was sitting in the construction approval meeting of that engine, looked at the oil dipstick just above the exhaust, stood up pointed at the powerpoint presentation and said:
"Thats it! Thats exactly how we are going to build that!"

Bring him to my doorstep, I'll promise his demise will neither be swift nor painless.

Damn i got a burn mark on my finger, that fool needs to be kept away from design decisions.
Half my ring finger is a blister and I'm due to leave on a 3 day trip tomorrow moring. Splendid.
"...and lets design it so that they'll have to balance the bike with one hand and check the oil level with the other. At the very least they'll drip oil on the hot header pipe. Maybe they'll even tip the bike too far to the right and over she goes. Second degree burns would be a bonus!"
Old 05-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #5148
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,816
OK, Mine too

One of my driving light mounts cracked with around 3,000 miles on the bike. Yes, it's under warranty, but I don't want to be going through this every couple months.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #5149
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,779
Quote:
Ok i found my first real gripe with this bike.

Which engineer was sitting in the construction approval meeting of that engine, looked at the oil dipstick just above the exhaust, stood up pointed at the powerpoint presentation and said:
"Thats it! Thats exactly how we are going to build that!"

Bring him to my doorstep, I'll promise his demise will neither be swift nor painless.

Didn't your daddy ever tell you to be careful where you stick your finger?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #5150
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 747
I pull the dipstick with my leatherman pliers. I learned my lesson.

The Hella lights suck. Mine cracked multiple times. Glad they're gone.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #5151
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Actually mine doesn't use any oil so I seldom check it. If I do, it's always before setting out so that the engine is cold.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #5152
Cloudhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Actually mine doesn't use any oil so I seldom check it. If I do, it's always before setting out so that the engine is cold.
Checking oil on a cold engine has been ingrained in me to be a nono (whether thats true or not), that i cant do it.

Hadnt check oil before, came up below empty (after 2000km since purchase), topped her up with some good stuff. will see after the weekend if thats going to be habit or not.
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #5153
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Checking oil on a cold engine has been ingrained in me to be a nono (whether thats true or not), that i cant do it.

Hadnt check oil before, came up below empty (after 2000km since purchase), topped her up with some good stuff. will see after the weekend if thats going to be habit or not.
Is yours the old dip stick with the crew in - or the car type? I changed mine for the later car type. It's much easier!!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #5154
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
Is yours the old dip stick with the crew in - or the car type? I changed mine for the later car type. It's much easier!!
I thought the new style car type dip stick arrangement was pretty good. I prefer a sight glass but I'd say this is the next best thing.

I don't want to start an oil discussion here, are there some good existing discussions already someplace? Maybe earlier in this monster thread or someplace else? I need to read up on the options. The 10w-60 spec is kinda non-standard.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #5155
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,224
After reading about the plastic of the original getting brittle from the proximity to the hot exhaust....I took the dipstick assembly out and replaced it with a conventional Norge dipstick.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #5156
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
After reading about the plastic of the original getting brittle from the proximity to the hot exhaust....I took the dipstick assembly out and replaced it with a conventional Norge dipstick.
You put a refrigerator dip stick in my bike. ?????

Marc
Old 05-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #5157
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I thought the new style car type dip stick arrangement was pretty good. I prefer a sight glass but I'd say this is the next best thing.

I don't want to start an oil discussion here, are there some good existing discussions already someplace? Maybe earlier in this monster thread or someplace else? I need to read up on the options. The 10w-60 spec is kinda non-standard.
The dealer at my first service used Silkolene Pro 4 4T 10w40. It runs well with this. I found some of the same and also 15w50 on Amazon for $45/4l so I bought a bunch. I'll mix and go 75%/25% 15w50/10w40.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #5158
Poli
Hate the Cold

Oddometer: 58
New Stelvio

Picked up my new Stelvio NTX ('13) last week. This is my forth Guzzi. Started back in '75 with an 850T. Next is my '98 EV1100 that I still have (with over 75,000 miles and running strong). Had an '02 Lemans for about 7 years before selling it. Loved it, but the slight bent over riding position and looking up started bothering my neck. Looking forward to many, many fun years with the Stelvio. The weight is really noticable when trying to just push it aound (almost dropped it once already) but like others have stated, once riding it disappears and handles great.
'98 Moto Guzzi EV 1100 - my 'Road' bike
'98 Suzuki DR650 - my other 'Adventure' bike
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #5159
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Picked up my new Stelvio NTX ('13) last week. This is my forth Guzzi. Started back in '75 with an 850T. Next is my '98 EV1100 that I still have (with over 75,000 miles and running strong). Had an '02 Lemans for about 7 years before selling it. Loved it, but the slight bent over riding position and looking up started bothering my neck. Looking forward to many, many fun years with the Stelvio. The weight is really noticable when trying to just push it aound (almost dropped it once already) but like others have stated, once riding it disappears and handles great.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #5160
Oca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post

We need photos.