User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #5236
swmckinley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Fluid change..heads up.

While changing the fluids on my NTX this weekend I had a problem with the tranny drain bolt. After removal of the bolt I noticed that one of the threads from the case side was on the bolt. It would not tighten up upon re-installation. I have always used a torque wrench and tightened up to spec. Its at the dealer now and either getting a Heli-Coil or a Sert. Just thought I would pass this along.
swmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #5237
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
I'm in the process of trying the ROX vibration damping risers + a ProTaper Standard Low bend bar which should result in the same overall height as the stock bar with just a bit less pull back. I wasn't aware of the Precision riser option. AlphaBetaDog went with the ROX vibration damping risers with a shorter bar and has reported good results -- noticeably less vibration.
I ordered a set of ROX 2" vibe dampening risers today. I will swap those for the solid ones I have now and see how things improve.

I'm going to try a prototype mockup of a couple cross bar configurations to see how that works also.

I also picked up a standard RAM U-bolt style handlebar mount for the GPS. The SW-Motech deal I bought isn't so compatible with the ROX setup. It may go up for sale and I'll just stick to the full RAM setup I was using on my other bikes.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #5238
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I also picked up a standard RAM U-bolt style handlebar mount for the GPS. The SW-Motech deal I bought isn't so compatible with the ROX setup. It may go up for sale and I'll just stick to the full RAM setup I was using on my other bikes.
I used the RAM kit that replaces one of the handlebar clamp bolts with a longer bolt and RAM ball; it works great. That said, I have become quite dissatisfied with the RAM cradle for my Garmin 62 and now use the locking Touratech cradle instead (currently on the RXV, but works great on the Stelvio also).
Old 05-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #5239
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
Brief Ride Apart review.

http://rideapart.com/2013/05/rideapa...lvio-1200-ntx/
Old 05-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #5240
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
I don't think anybody ever proof read that write up.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #5241
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Why do some continue to compare the NXT to the BMW GS, instead of the BMW GS Adventure--the obvious competitor?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #5242
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Why do some continue to compare the NXT to the BMW GS, instead of the BMW GS Adventure--the obvious competitor?
Cause they are afraid it'll kick the GSA in the nutz! As a former GSA owner, I know that it indeed does.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #5243
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Price.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #5244
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Equip the GS like the Stelvio. Then look at the price.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #5245
henerythe8th
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Equip the GS like the Stelvio. Then look at the price.

...and the weight...
henerythe8th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #5246
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It would be nice to see more apples to apples comparisons.

The one thing BMW did with the GSA that I wish Guzzi would do with the NTX is to give it a slightly lower 1st gear ratio. I've come to find the rest of the gearing to be just about right, but I would like to be able to slip the clutch a bit less from a stop when riding 2 up etc.

Speaking of clutches, I'm beginning to think the "morning groan" is an issue with the clutch facing material. When it's cold mine will groan (I believe it to be chatter) if you let out the clutch fairly aggressively for the first few times. If I let it out gently it won't do it, you can modulate the "groan" with the release rate. I wonder if Guzzi spec'd a different clutch facing material for the Stelvio/NTX, maybe something better suited to higher operating temps but not quite so smooth at cold temps?

At least that's my theory for now.

Another comparison issue. I was reading the "why so many used Teneres on the market now" thread. It's interesting to see how many people are complaining about handlebar vibrations, hmm..... big twins, unbraced long aluminum bars..... , also many owners not so happy with the stock windscreen, complaints about low speed fueling/jerky response, ...... I see a pattern here.

I think the Stelvio fuel mapping is much better than the Tenere myself, but not quite as refined as the GS.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 05-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #5247
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 769
I'm so tired of the "it's soooo heavy" statement when comparing them. The dry weight on my 09 is 16 pounds heavier than the dry weight listed for the KTM 990 Adventure. I find the statement that it's 100 pounds heavier than the GS a tad hard to believe.

I haven't had that hard a time off road with mine either. In fact, I'm usually surprised at how well it behaves off road.

All what you're used to I guess.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #5248
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
I'm so tired of the "it's soooo heavy" statement when comparing them. .
Our own Leafman60 took scales to the BMW shop and weighed a new GSA, then his own Stelvio NTX....almost identical weight. I mean like, maybe 3 lbs difference (and that could have been fuel in the NTX but not much in the GSA). The real differences are (IMHO) Price, user servicability, dependability (GS has known issues with rear drive, CAN BUS, and ABS pump...not all, just enough to worry me), and simplicity. Of course the GS wins in terms of dealer network and parts supply. The NTX ain't perfect but it has fewer warts than anything else on the market.

Peter Y.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #5249
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
In fact, I'm usually surprised at how well it behaves off road.

The biggest downside that I regularly encounter is that the higher weight and lack of "real" knobby tires makes stopping distances a bit longer on loose surfaces when compared to dual-sports that have the KLR/DR650-sized 17/21 wheels. And it's easy to get the front wheel to slide when cornering on dirt and gravel--this does not always end well.

From Sunday (courtesy of GrizGirl):
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #5250
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
I run mitas E07's. They work amazingly well on the stelvio. Not quite knobby but close. I have the narrow rear rim on my 09 so I can run any tire the GS does.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote